PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP: Water??

RunRockman
04-19-2009, 08:16
Hey all,
I'm new to the forum and hoping someone can help me out. I'll be heading to GSMNP next week to fastpack the AT through the park. Wondering about water sources.

Is everything flowing freely or are there some sources that are better than others in terms of consistency of flow.

Any details on water sources between Fontana and Davenport Gap would be greatly appreciated.

Thank.

RR

Chaco Taco
04-19-2009, 08:38
You should have no issue with water. We have had so much rain that the sources should be plentiful. Good luck

RunRockman
04-19-2009, 11:11
Thanks. I figured as much but just wanted to be sure.

One other thing. Which of the water sources are closest to the trail or is everything about 1/4 mile off the trail?

As far as I know the sources from Fontana to Davenport are:

Birch Spring
Mollies Ridge
Russell Field
Spence Field
Derrick Knob
Buckeye Gap
Silers Bald Shelter
Newfound Gap
Icewater Spring
Pecks Corner
Tricorner Knob
Cosby Knob
Mt. Cammerer
Davenport Gap

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. RR

sliderule
04-19-2009, 13:05
All the sources you mentioned are very close to the AT except Spence Field and Pecks Corner. In addition to the spring near the Spence Field shelter, there is one a short distance down the Bote Mountain Trail. There is also a spring right on the trail at Double Springs Gap.

I have never seen a reliable water source at Buckeye Gap, but maybe I just missed it.

sliderule
04-19-2009, 13:07
Add Mt. Cammerer to the "not close" list.

RunRockman
04-20-2009, 19:15
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll be running the AT through the park this coming weekend and the information provided will be VERY helpful.

Thanks again for the info.

RR

Engine
04-20-2009, 20:34
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll be running the AT through the park this coming weekend and the information provided will be VERY helpful.

Thanks again for the info.

RR

How much water will you be carrying? I usually do long trail runs with a 100 ounce Camelback and it lasts me around 3 hours at an ave. hr in the mid 140's. I am a heavy sweater though and you likely use less than that. I ran from Neel's Gap to Hogpen and back last year and I was dry by the time I got back to Neel's (around 13 miles). Have a good run, I'm jealous down here running on the Florida trail...first deer fly of the season bit me today. :(

Plodderman
04-21-2009, 15:43
No problem with water in the Smokies. Many sources and a great time.

RunRockman
04-26-2009, 21:10
Engine, Let me know next time you head up to Georgia for some trail running. I head up to Amicalola pretty frequently and run up past Spring and back, followed by a nice soak in the river.

Anyway, had my first experience in the GSMNP on Friday and managed to get in 40ish miles from Fontana Dam to Newfound Gap in 14 hours. Great trail. The weather was a little hot, but I'm not complaining. Really want to head back to the park and go for Fontana to Davenport in under 24. It'll be brutal, but a good brutal if you know what I mean.

Engine, check out getguts.com and post something on the board next time you are heading up to the AT in GA and I'll drop you a line.

Thanks again to all for the water update. There was plenty of it and plenty of good people on the trail. Go figure. :)

Jason

wornoutboots
11-21-2009, 00:00
Hiking the AT from NewFound Gap to Standing Bear next weekend, should I bring a filter (for standing water) or will there be running (not Standing) water that I can just use drops?

Hikes in Rain
11-21-2009, 08:05
Most of the springs are piped. The few that aren't should be pretty easy to fill a bottle. That's a terrific section; you'll love it. Be sure to take the Boulevard trail to the Jumpoff view of Charlies Bunion, and the side trail to the Cammerer Fire Tower. There's also a terrific view just down the Sweat Heifer trail.

I did that section last year. Where do you plan to stay?

Chaco Taco
11-21-2009, 11:00
Hiking the AT from NewFound Gap to Standing Bear next weekend, should I bring a filter (for standing water) or will there be running (not Standing) water that I can just use drops?

Take Aqua Mira. You will be fine.

wornoutboots
11-23-2009, 00:58
Great Thanks, I'll leave the filter behind. staying at Pecks Corner, Tri Corner, & Cosby Knob. Haven't been able to get a good read on the weather up there but I'm assuming the 20's at night & the 50's day & I'll be prepared for anything. I have a short 2nd day to Tri Corner so I may do some xplorin up there? Any suggestions?

Hikes in Rain
11-23-2009, 07:14
You will have a short day! It's only five miles or so from Pecks to Tri-corner. Seems like there's some manways to the tops of various mountains there, but I don't think there's a view from any of them. All wooded over.

wornoutboots
11-23-2009, 11:28
NP. I'll just take in the serenity and clean crisp mountain air with a good book. I just stasrted reading, "Blind Courage" By Bill Irwin & Orient

veteran
11-25-2009, 09:27
There is a spring at the old False Gap Shelter Site

wornoutboots
12-03-2009, 17:42
Thanks everyone! I got back on Monday and the water was just as you said. The shelters were clean and comfy, even Tri Corner with that Guinne Hen thing begging for food the whole time. Mount Cammerer was amazing!! The best view of the Smokies so far that I have found.

Hikes in Rain
12-04-2009, 09:54
I think he's a peacock. There's a picture of him somewhere here. He's still there???

I'm curious; what did you do around Tri-Corner after that short hike? If it's fun, I may need to go back!

wornoutboots
12-05-2009, 01:16
Not much, I actually hung out a Pecks until @ 11ish, lollygagged my way to Tri Corner. Once at Tri-Corner I was a little intimidated and uneducated on the area to do any exploring in such a remote area, so since I was solo, so I just gathered fire wood and read. It was a beautiful Day with great weather!!

Ox97GaMe
12-05-2009, 01:24
The guinea hen was still there Wed when we were up there. Although we all were looking at it and thinking it would make a very tasty dinner. It was cold and rainy all day and a cup of hot chicken soup would have hit the spot. Mmmmm. Someone is gonna have that bird for dinner one of these days for sure.