PDA

View Full Version : Six Moon Designs

Speakeasy
04-19-2009, 12:07
Hi - Has anyone had any experience or heard anything about the Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis Tarp Tent? I have already ordered a Eukeka Spitfire but I'm thinking I might want to go a little lighter. I figure I have all year to try out, practice with and switch out gear. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. I should also mention that I plan on doing more long trails after the AT... Thank You! :cool:

Nrvana

Lucy Lulu
04-19-2009, 12:39
Hi

I am taking the Wild Oasis on the CDT with me this year. I've used it a little on the AT, and I like it a lot. I will say that if I was 6'0 or more, I might consider it a little tight since I don't like brushing up against the silnylon.

I find it easy to set up, and once sealed, it has held up to some good wind and rain. I put some rather long tie out lines on it, with some light camlocks from Backpackinglight.com to make it easier to adjust the tension, and also to set it up high.

Mags
04-19-2009, 14:19
I used the poncho tarp version of it on the CDT (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,36/?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=14331) and was very pleased with it as a shelter (less so as rain gear; most ponchos do not work well with my 5'6" height!). Snow, rain..you name it. Worked like a champ. Easy to set up and light.

I have used the Wild Oasis for about 2 yrs all over the Rockies, in the southwest and my recent BMT thru-hike (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,36/?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=19639) and have been equally pleased.

For a solo hiker who wants a quick, simple shelter it is awesome.

As the other poster said, it is not for taller folks. Again, I am only 5'6" so it worked really well for me.

Kerosene
04-19-2009, 15:08
Mags, all the hiker babes on this site envisioned you as a super-athletic 6' tall eligible bachelor, albeit one who forgets to shave for extended periods. Now you'll just have to dazzle 'em with your intellect and confidence! ;)

Mags
04-19-2009, 15:18
Mags, all the hiker babes on this site envisioned you as a super-athletic 6' tall eligible bachelor, albeit one who forgets to shave for extended periods. Now you'll just have to dazzle 'em with your intellect and confidence! ;)

Q:What do they call a tall Italian-American?
A: The milkman's kid!!!!

True story.

When I came back from the PCT, I went to my (informal) outdoor group's meeting. I raised my hand and announced that I was about to put on my PCT slideshow. This attractive young lass looks over at me and speaks. Her words? A very incredulous "YOU ARE THAT GUY ???!!?" Apparently hearing the stories of this Paul Mags fella made her think of a 6'+ super athletic dude who looked somewhat like the Brawny Man. Alas, she turned around and saw me. :)

If I have to dazzle the ladies with my intellect I may be in trouble....

I am going to try to work the pity angle. Wish me luck!

Speakeasy
04-19-2009, 17:34
I'm solo and shorter so I should be fine - I'm really anxious to try it out so I figure I have plenty of time to work on set up before my AT hike. Thanks a lot for the info :)

By the way Mags - 5'6 is just fine in my books:D

Speakeasy
04-19-2009, 17:44
Does anyone have any ideas as to where I might get my hands on the
Wild Oasis aside from the Six Moon site?

Rcarver
04-19-2009, 19:01
I've used it for the past year. It is a great shelter. Easy to put up and take down.

take-a-knee
04-19-2009, 19:09
Q:What do they call a tall Italian-American?
A: The milkman's kid!!!!

True story.

When I came back from the PCT, I went to my (informal) outdoor group's meeting. I raised my hand and announced that I was about to put on my PCT slideshow. This attractive young lass looks over at me and speaks. Her words? A very incredulous "YOU ARE THAT GUY ???!!?" Apparently hearing the stories of this Paul Mags fella made her think of a 6'+ super athletic dude who looked somewhat like the Brawny Man. Alas, she turned around and saw me. :)

If I have to dazzle the ladies with my intellect I may be in trouble....

I am going to try to work the pity angle. Wish me luck!

Well Mags, you dazzled Mardee Kaufman (White House B&B) and I'd venture she's a bit harder to impress than the attractive young lass.

Mags
04-19-2009, 19:27
Well Mags, you dazzled Mardee Kaufman (White House B&B) and I'd venture she's a bit harder to impress than the attractive young lass.

Mardee and Dan are awesome people. It was pure chance I called/they were home. It honestly was a highlight of my BMT trip. I'd rather dazzle the Kaufmann's any day! :)

re: Where to get the Wild Oasis
AKAIK, it is primarily available on his site. Ron Moak is based out of Portland, so perhaps some outfitters in the area may carry it. SMD, like many small cottage manufacturers, deals mainly with direct sales. The volume they sell is small compared to GoLite..never mind someone like North Face. If any place sells it online, it is probably a website that specializes in selling cottage manufacturer gear...and there price is probably about the same as the SMD, ULA, Gossmer Gear, etc prices.

ps. I see you are from Rhody! I grew up in Coventry (been here since 1999). Most of my family (16 cousins on mom's side included!) still live there as well.

Speakeasy
04-19-2009, 21:08
Mardee and Dan are awesome people. It was pure chance I called/they were home. It honestly was a highlight of my BMT trip. I'd rather dazzle the Kaufmann's any day! :)

re: Where to get the Wild Oasis
AKAIK, it is primarily available on his site. Ron Moak is based out of Portland, so perhaps some outfitters in the area may carry it. SMD, like many small cottage manufacturers, deals mainly with direct sales. The volume they sell is small compared to GoLite..never mind someone like North Face. If any place sells it online, it is probably a website that specializes in selling cottage manufacturer gear...and there price is probably about the same as the SMD, ULA, Gossmer Gear, etc prices.

ps. I see you are from Rhody! I grew up in Coventry (been here since 1999). Most of my family (16 cousins on mom's side included!) still live there as well.

Well, my family is from Fox Point and there's probably a couple of dozen of them. So, in true Rhode Island fashion we probably know somebody who knows somebody that we know :cool:. Which probably means we know each other...;)

Nrvana

Footslogger
04-20-2009, 09:07
Hi - Has anyone had any experience or heard anything about the Six Moon Designs Wild Oasis Tarp Tent? I have already ordered a Eukeka Spitfire but I'm thinking I might want to go a little lighter. I figure I have all year to try out, practice with and switch out gear. Any info. would be greatly appreciated. I should also mention that I plan on doing more long trails after the AT... Thank You! :cool:

Nrvana

=====================================

I own it and really like it. Hiked most of Maine with it over the past 2 years. Shelters just don't come much lighter or easier to set up. Plenty of room for you and your pack. All you need is a ground cloth of some sort. I carry a piece of kite Tyvek that spreads out to cover the edges of the mesh netting skirt. No bugs ! Plenty of head room when sitting up. I am able to change clothes and fully pack up before crawling out in the morning. I think the website specs the Oasis at 13 oz but mine (at least on my scale) weighs 11 oz.

Great shelter ...well made. No frills but if you're looking for a basic, truly light weight shelter the Oasis should be high on your list of considerations.

'Slogger