PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hiking....how do you guys swing it?

Ridgeline
04-19-2009, 12:40
It has been a dream of mine to one day hike the whole AT.....I see so many on this site that have thru-hiked the AT and I'm just curious as to how you did it(in terms of not working, being away from family, etc)....I know a lot of thru-hikers are college age kids who are taking a semester off or just graduated and are doing the hike before entering the working world....I've also noticed that many retired folks do the hike as well....I'm just wondering how the rest of you accomplish it....I'm recently divorced with no kids, so the being away from family aspect is no problem....The work thing is what keeps me from doing the hike....I've asked my employer about taking a 5 month leave of absence from work and the higher ups say it's a no go...they did say that if I left my job to do the trail that "if" there was an opening in the company when I got back that they would rehire me....but with the economy the way it is I don't see that as being a promising possibility....I'm just basically looking to hear some of your stories as to how you did it...and maybe some hope that I'll actually get to do it one day.

Hikes in Rain
04-19-2009, 12:57
A sizeable number of through-hikers are folks in a transition of some kind. You mentioned recent grads. Others are recent retirees, and others in a life-changing mode. I'm like many others...I don't choose to drop my (suddenly really cool!) job, mortgage, family and other things like that to hike. Instead, I section.

Jim Adams
04-19-2009, 13:04
Don't know what you do for a living, whether you are in demand or not makes a big difference. I've been a paramedic for 33 years...low pay, not alot of us in Pennsylvania. I tried to just quit for my first trip but they said that they would hold my job. The second time, I tried to quit but they gave me a leave of absence and told me to walk fast. I've done alot of wilderness trips since then from 1 week to 6 months...now they just ask when and where my next trip will be. I love my job, I hate my pay, I love my life. Hope your job can become as good...live your dreams.

geek

JAK
04-19-2009, 13:16
Jim, that was a really cool and inspirational post. Thanks.

Many Walks
04-19-2009, 13:52
You've no doubt gone through a lot of grief, but at this point you're in a great position to hike the trail. A thru will give you plenty of time to get away from things and to ponder the future instead of running on the proverbial treadmill. It comes down to one question. What's more important, actually living your dream or continuing to work and dream.

We saw so many people who always wished they had done something, but were afraid to leave their security to do it until finally it was too late to do what they always dreamed of. They ultimately die with the important things to them left undone.

We have a lot of life left in us, but we realized we were just chasing the dollar and making everyone else rich, so we sold or gave away our "stuff" and quit our great jobs to go live our dreams. If you're comfortable with your skills there are a lot of companies out there who will hire you later. Who knows, once you're done with the hike you might decide to start one yourself for your own employment.

I decided to hike because someday when I'm sitting in the corner of a nursing home drooling all over myself I will have a huge smile on my face because I wasn't afraid to live while I could. For what it's worth, that was my same justification for buying the Harley!

Live while you have the chance. There's always time to work. When most people hit the end of their lives they wish they had lived more rather than working more.

It's a decision and a journey you'll be glad you made! Wish you the best!

rainmakerat92
04-19-2009, 14:54
Before I hiked, I'd been in management with a large, financial services company for 17 years; had the big salary, nice car, closet full of suits, luxury car, swimming pool, etc. However, I was miserable.

One day, I calculated how much in taxes I was paying (including everything; the taxes you see, and the ones you don't), and it came up to an astounding 52% of my income. At the time, I was also paying my ex-wife 22% of my income in child support. I got even more miserable.

A few months later, my company offered a "buy-out", and I took it. After that, I hiked the AT.

I have no regrets. What is important to me is waking up every morning where I want to be, having the freedom to do mostly as I please, and having the good health to enjoy it. It means more to me than I all the money I never made.

EverydayJourneyman
04-19-2009, 18:47
take the leap.

Part of the The Everyday Journeyman project is showing others that they can have life changing journeys of their own, regardless of background, skillset, age, income, etc...

I've been relentless in doing things similar to the Appalachian Trail in the fairly short amount of time (I turned 32 in January) Whether it's driving across Africa, making yearly journeys to a different country in Asia, or thru-hiking the AT, it's about experiencing those unforgettable adventures that are waiting for you just outside your door.

Create a realistic plan, manage your expectations, roll with the punches, and make it happen. Too many people reach 50 and realize they've only been to 5 states and never took those scuba diving lessons.

Tuna
04-19-2009, 19:03
I'm a support worker, my clients are mentally and physically disabled adults. It's a pretty much recession-proof sector to work in so I quit my job in order to hike, gave up my flat and briefly moved back in with my parents, confident of getting work as soon as I was done with the AT.

In the end I quit the trail in my third week. So I'm going to hike and hostel hop in France and Spain for a couple of months then get back to work and start saving for another attempt at a thru in 2010.

I'm 31, and I look at most of my friends who have well-developed careers and own their own homes and sometimes I worry that I've got it all wrong. But deep down I'd rather pursue the next adventure than the next pay cheque.

discgolfer
04-19-2009, 19:14
What about family issues like wife and kids? Should that be put off for 6 months if you have a dream????? My problem is my wife says that she supports me but I have doubts because we have 2 kids. An 8 year old and a 1 year old but dont want to miss my chance at the AT be for I get past the age of enjoyment and it turns into a hike of impossibilities!! Any comments are welcome and needed!

Many Walks
04-19-2009, 20:16
What about family issues like wife and kids? Should that be put off for 6 months if you have a dream????? My problem is my wife says that she supports me but I have doubts because we have 2 kids. An 8 year old and a 1 year old but dont want to miss my chance at the AT be for I get past the age of enjoyment and it turns into a hike of impossibilities!! Any comments are welcome and needed!
If you can get your wife and kids into hiking and camping as the little ones get older you might be able to plan weekend outings and work up to annual AT section hikes. If they don't want to go, you could trade the time off and expense by switching rolls while your wife pursues a dream of hers. She may enjoy a few months in Europe with a girlfriend! If that doesn't work, just keep dreaming until you can manage it.

Lots of hikers (both men and women) were out on the trail doing thru hikes with the support of their spouses. It's not unusual. I think they understand that people grow by pursuing their dreams. Everyone makes it work a little differently. You might just ask her opinion of what it would really take for you to be able to do it. You might be surprised. Your family might enjoy the vicarious adventure through your updates of progress and their support. Wish you the best.

wrongway_08
04-19-2009, 20:32
I wanted to do the trail since I was 8 years old... my dad got me one of those wall maps.... thats all it took.

Kept making excuses every year, job, money, family, bla bla bla...... last year I said screw it, I'm going. Was the best choice I ever made - only wish I would have done it sooner.

Told the job I was going hiking, they said no way, I said okay - see ya later. They later told me they would keep the job/hold my spot for me.

So glad I did it. There will always be a job, a car, a house - they are easy things to get and really are not all that important in the long run. follow your desire in life and that is what makes a person different and stand out from the crowd.

Having family that supports your goals is great.

Spirit Walker
04-19-2009, 20:47
It depends on what is most important to you. If your family, then you put family first. If career, then you put career first. If adventure, then you find a way to save the money, quit your job and go.

Not everyone on the AT is 21 or 65. I was 31 when I did my first long distance hike, 35 my second, 43 for my 3rd, 44 for my 4th and 49 for my fifth. I have jobs, not a career. Travel and adventure was always more important to me than financial security. (Good thing since the economy has destroyed any hope I had of any security.) In each case I found a job, worked until I had the money to leave, and then took off when the time was right.

My husband did his first long hike at 53. He was burned out in his career and had a failing marriage and hoped that hiking the AT would give him a much needed break so he could refocus his life. After his hike, he decided that he enjoyed the travel much more than his career - so several years later, when he got his finances together again (post divorce and recession and second marriage) we went on our next hike.

In this time of financial turmoil, it would be hard to leave a good job for the uncertainties of life post trail. You might find that finding a job afterwards is really difficult. I have had problems at times with the gaps in my resume. OTOH, if you have a real skill, you should be able to find something. Or you may find, as we have, that it doesn't take all that much money to live. It's a simple life we lead, but a good one. If you don't have children who can be hurt by your leaving, or a wife who would resent supporting you while you are hiking, and if you have enough money saved both to hike and to live on for a while after the hike -- why not go now, while you have time and health to do it?

superman
04-19-2009, 21:03
It depends on what is most important to you. If your family, then you put family first. If career, then you put career first. If adventure, then you find a way to save the money, quit your job and go.

Not everyone on the AT is 21 or 65. I was 31 when I did my first long distance hike, 35 my second, 43 for my 3rd, 44 for my 4th and 49 for my fifth. I have jobs, not a career. Travel and adventure was always more important to me than financial security. (Good thing since the economy has destroyed any hope I had of any security.) In each case I found a job, worked until I had the money to leave, and then took off when the time was right.

My husband did his first long hike at 53. He was burned out in his career and had a failing marriage and hoped that hiking the AT would give him a much needed break so he could refocus his life. After his hike, he decided that he enjoyed the travel much more than his career - so several years later, when he got his finances together again (post divorce and recession and second marriage) we went on our next hike.

In this time of financial turmoil, it would be hard to leave a good job for the uncertainties of life post trail. You might find that finding a job afterwards is really difficult. I have had problems at times with the gaps in my resume. OTOH, if you have a real skill, you should be able to find something. Or you may find, as we have, that it doesn't take all that much money to live. It's a simple life we lead, but a good one. If you don't have children who can be hurt by your leaving, or a wife who would resent supporting you while you are hiking, and if you have enough money saved both to hike and to live on for a while after the hike -- why not go now, while you have time and health to do it?

You can wiggle and play with it but Spirit Walker's post sums it up. I'll say it this way: some folks reach a point in their life that tells them that it's time to go. The decision to thru hike and to hike it thru is in you...or not.

Blissful
04-19-2009, 21:32
I am a writer so I took the time off from my writing between books. Worked out fine with my editors. I was 44 when I went.

fiddlehead
04-19-2009, 21:45
Or you may find, as we have, that it doesn't take all that much money to live. It's a simple life we lead, but a good one.

This is important (above)

I think you'll find that once you do a thru-hike, you learn some valuable things about life.
Things like: Less is More, Simplify, you can be comfortable sleeping on the ground and drinking water from the ground, and cooking your meals in one pot, you already have too many clothes and toys, etc.

So, when you finish and go back to the working world, it is easy to save up for the next one because you can live for a lot less.
You learn to live well beneath your means.
A hotel is needed once in a while but sometimes you just go to town to resupply and look for a place nearby to stealth camp cause $70 is just too much to spend for a nights sleep in a clean bed, etc.

You also find other ways to make money once you are experienced (writing, selling clothes, designing hiking gear, music are a few that i now do that i didn't before thru-hiking)

Of course, having kids changes the whole balance and now, i only can think about when he gets old enough to go along (or go out for a 3 day max)

Enjoy your life. It is what you make it.

Bearpaw
04-19-2009, 21:48
Leave the armed forces debt free. Enjoy the long holiday. ;)

stranger
04-19-2009, 23:10
I done long hikes in 1994, 1995, 1997, 2001, 2008, and going again next year. The key to maintaining this type of lifestyle can vary considerably, but generally, the less "responsibilities" you have the more likely you can do long hikes every couple of years.

For me personally, it has meant not buying a house, and certainly not having kids or getting married. This has not been easy, and may end a good relationship I'm currently in because we want different things in life. But you need to make these decisions - what's important to you? You can't do everything well, and trying to just usually means doing everything badly in my experience.

People also ask me how I'm able to keep doing trips, going hiking and travelling and what I tell them is:
- I'm single (hasn't been easy)
- I'm debt free (took years of hard work to do this)
- I have flexible work (kinda lucky there)
- Will quit my job to go hiking (risky but rewarding)
- I don't live in the US anymore (a big help in terms of securing leave)
- I don't own a house (will never own one most likely)
- I'm not having kids (this hasn't been easy)
- I don't want to get married (lost 2 women to this already)
- I take large risks and am willing to accept the consequences (being realistic)
- I choose my battles (being logical)

I don't personally believe you can do the wife, children, house thing, typical 9-5 job and do long distance hikes every 2 years, but you can do it, I've done it, but it's not without consequences.

A good friend of mine recently died and she wrote before she died that she "was satisfied" with her life, she was 49.

I want to be satisfied with my life when I go, so that's what I'm doing.

Reid
04-19-2009, 23:39
I am not sure myself how I will be able to hike the entire trail, or at least have the appropriations for it in a given time. But I am constantly planning for it and when I get the chance whether I'm 30 or I'm 60 I will give it my best to go the whole way. Sounds really good on paper too doesn't it? I often questions my stamina to even make it the whole way though and where's that leave us? Over planning just to wipe out half way and maybe even gamble with a job. I think I'll know when it's the right time to go, and would shoot for 4-5 months instead of 6.

hammock engineer
04-20-2009, 07:03
I have only done 1 long hike, but wanted to chime in.

I struggled with what a lot of you are talking about. I could either gotten a real job or live the hiker lifestyle. I ended up choosing the job route for now. I ended up with a really good job that allows me to travel to some cool places and do some really cool stuff. Another perk is it is a company based to Europe. They have a better understanding of what vacation means. I don't get a lot, but taking random days off without pay is not a big deal. I don't think 6 months would go over well, but taking a month off every year is. Planning on taking a motorcycle trip next summer.

Like others said. All give and take. Just except a hike to cause more questions than answer them, in a good way.

EverydayJourneyman
04-20-2009, 08:05
I think its a bit of a misnomer that any sort of adventuring is mutually exclusive to having a home/career/relationship/kids.

For example, I'm in a very solid long term relationship and I'm also able to leave home for however long necessary for these journeys. It's important that you're in a solid mature relationship with your partner. You share your life and your passions together, but you each have your own life and passions as well.

The idea that you have to sacrifice one for the other is a bit dated.

CowHead
04-20-2009, 10:55
My though hike will be when I retire 2020 and other class mates out there

Pips
04-20-2009, 11:26
I think its a bit of a misnomer that any sort of adventuring is mutually exclusive to having a home/career/relationship/kids.

For example, I'm in a very solid long term relationship and I'm also able to leave home for however long necessary for these journeys. It's important that you're in a solid mature relationship with your partner. You share your life and your passions together, but you each have your own life and passions as well.

The idea that you have to sacrifice one for the other is a bit dated.

I think you said it the best of everyone! I don't think all of these things are mutually exclusive. I find it very inspirational to watch how some families/couples have made the journey work for them. Being away from your family is always tough -- my father was away on deployments growing up -- but, kids are resilient. Journeyman summed up everything I believe about a relationship with your spouse.

My only real contribution is to say that these plans have to be made with the understanding that it is a journey with unknown outcomes -- I feel like if you take your first steps from Springer or wherever else you intend to hike with the feeling that you HAVE to make it all the way then the pressure to complete your hike will take away from everything you have to gain from your hike. Your family and friends need to understand this as well. So dream big and take risks, but make sure you and everyone else that is effected is open-minded and informed. Then, the risk will become your reward.

And, although it is not always easy, life has a way of working itself out. I can't promise a job when you finish or the support of a spouse -- but, it is strange to say it -- when I was ready to hike, I just KNEW it was the right time. I knew it was what my soul needed.

dloome
04-20-2009, 14:22
I did the AT between high school and more school. Now, I work at a university and am on the same schedule as the students. This gives me 3.5 months off over the Summer, 1 month off over Christmas, and a week for Spring break. Lots of hiking time.

I get about 2 weeks of paid vacation a year plus a half dozen paid holidays, but most of the time off is unpaid.

I gear test, write, and take photos for some companies and have been getting some free gear in exchange the last couple years which helps my budget a lot. I live very simply, save and spend my money carefully and don't keep an apartment over the Summer. Lots of moving, but it keeps my personal things minimum. At some point I'd like a more stable living situation, but the freedom to hike and travel a lot is much more important than most other things in my life.

If you have the desire to do this stuff, you'll make it work.

Tenderheart
04-20-2009, 14:59
Well, you certainly have gotten a lot of good advice from everyone. I'm not sure that I can add anything, but here goes. I was 51 when I did my thru hike. For months, I tried to ask the business owner for a leave of absence, but he was always too busy to see me. He finally asked my boss why I wanted time off. He said to thru hike the AT. The owner said sure. How long can it take? Two weeks? I just quit when I heard this. Don't need to be working for anyone this uninformed!
My wife was very supportive, so I was lucky. When you complete your journey, you will be a different person. You will find that you may not be so career oriented. Material possessions may have much less importance in your life, hence you may need less money to buy stuff. This is a good thing, not a bad thing. Don't let our society with it insatiable wants tell you otherwise. I say go for it.

By the way, my uniformed boss called me to return to his employ when I finished.

litefoot 2000

d'shadow
04-20-2009, 15:45
Just a couple of suggestions. First, it helps to have your family and friends supporting you on this hike. Second, you do not necessarily want to wait until you are older, but, go when you are still in your prime physically.
I have a friend out on the trail right now and he has a daughter who is thrilled he is living his dream. She has a map and follows his hike closely. She can hardly wait for him to come home and take her out on a backpacking trip. Think of the wonderful example you will give to your children, go live your dreams, live your own life.
How do you do it? You just get out and do it.:sun

Bootstrap
04-20-2009, 15:55
A hotel is needed once in a while but sometimes you just go to town to resupply and look for a place nearby to stealth camp cause $70 is just too much to spend for a nights sleep in a clean bed, etc.

I'm just a lowly section hiker, but I sometimes find myself bringing a tarp and a hammock when I drive long distances, and camping in the woods, rather than pay for a hotel and a restaurant.