PDA

View Full Version : Profile Maps???

twilight
06-06-2004, 20:58
Where does one obtain the profiles maps I occasionally see hikers with? These are just the profiles, not the complete map. Just wondering? :-?

Ramble~On
06-06-2004, 21:24
I make my own maps...and am interested more in profile than the surrounding 100 meters from a linear object such as a trail. The maps that the ATC put out show way to much terrain and not enough AT for my liking..They are heavy for the amount of trail they show. Making your own maps let you decide what detail you want and profile is (in my opinion) the way to go. I add in water sources, shelters and road junctions...what more do ya need ?
On one front and back, laminated 8x10 piece of paper I am able to put about five ATC maps worth of info for a fraction of the weight...and about zero cost.
Search TOPO! interactive maps on CD Rom. or www.topo.com (http://www.topo.com)

Footslogger
06-07-2004, 21:34
On my thru in 2003 I saw several hikers who had photo-copied the profiles off of the regular AT maps. I would imagine doing that is OK if you've actually bought the maps and are just using the profiles for your own purposes and not trying to sell them.

'Slogger

3oz
06-11-2004, 09:16
The ATC maps have the profile on the back, for most sections. When I hiked the trail last year I started off carrying the full maps, then I would just cut the profile out, and by the end I was just using my copy of Wingfoot. I found that the maps gave little information I couldn't get from the guide, so it was a waste of weight.
- 3oz