PDA

View Full Version : New B&B

hikingsailor
04-19-2009, 16:40
OK hikers, I need your help on locations. I am looking to open up a new B&B for next season hiking (2010). I would like your input on the best location that would benefit hikers. I know their are some stretches along the trail with no services or places to re-supply and those are the ones I am looking for. Your input would be greatly appreciated by all future hikers.

tks,
hikingsailor:-?

StarLyte
04-19-2009, 16:58
I would say first, how well can you adjust to weather? Like, are you going to be happy in Maine, mid-AT or south? Think about that first.

Second, I remember several threads similar to this one, you might want so tread thru those.

If it were myself, there is no doubt I would go into Erwin and grab Janet by the hand.

Damascus is my 2nd choice.

quiltfreak
04-20-2009, 08:26
the Hikers Inn,
damascus is for sale. high end real estate, but gorgeous big old house, with separate cottage out back. right behind The Place. been in business for 8 years.
quiltfreak

Jeff
04-20-2009, 09:37
I would talk with Mary and Terry of Mountain Harbour B & B in Roan Mtn, TN. They have a great thing going with their barn loft converted into a hiker hostel. They can really give you some good pointers.

Keep in mind this is a seasonal business with 90% of hikers passing thru during a 2-3 month window. You better have lots of non-hiker customers if you want to sustain this idea.

traildust
04-20-2009, 10:31
If its advice talk with Lee or Josh at the hostel in Georgia. If it is location, you might grab one of the handbooks like Appalachian Pages and see what is already out there and where they are located.

The Weasel
04-20-2009, 10:51
You need to define what you mean by "B&B" better: If you're referrring to something like a 'barn in back' or a bunkhouse with pancakes in the morning, that's one crowd; a room with antiques and gourmet meals is a different one. Some towns have one of those, and could use the other; a few have both (Hot Springs, for example) and a very few have neither.

You should also realize that "the wave" to support something like this primarily from AT thru hikers is larger south of Damascus than north of it, and very small in New England. If you're going to make it from hikers north of Damascus, that's going to be difficult.

TW

ARambler
04-20-2009, 11:45
OK hikers, I need your help on locations. I am looking to open up a new B&B for next season hiking (2010). I would like your input on the best location that would benefit hikers. I know their are some stretches along the trail with no services or places to re-supply and those are the ones I am looking for. Your input would be greatly appreciated by all future hikers.

tks,
hikingsailor:-?

1) I think you have partially answered your question... "along the trail"
I think access to the trail is very important. I think lots of hikers go by some very good hostels because they are far from the trail (even a mile like the Greasey Creek Friendly is too far for many. The increase in cell phones, may open up options that were not available 10 years ago. A place with two good options is even better, because you can offer slack options and get a 2-fer.

2) By far my longest streach without a shower was between Vernon, NJ and East Mountain Retreat, MA. So, some place near Kent, CT area would be ideal. This area would compress the nobo and sobo season which has some advantages and disadvantages.

3) Looking at popular hostels that have closed without good aternatives, I would list 4 Pines in Cawtaba, VA and the Dorms in Hanover, NH.

4) There is an advantage to setting up south of Damascus, because there are more hikers, and they are still dealing with bad weather and poor conditioning. However, I would like to see more places up north.

5) Have you considered taking over an existing hostel? I hate to make recommendations, because it implies the owners are old. Too bad we could not save Pine Ellis, Andover, ME or Woods Hole, VA. How is Rangley, ME doing?
Rambler

Jeff
04-20-2009, 12:19
Boy, I agree that when 4 Pines closed it left a big hole between Pearisburg and Troutville. Hiked nearby there last week...it is now an Alpaca farm, too bad.

Rangley is well served by Bob of Gull Pond. At least it was last year.

Still wonder what Honey and Bear plans are for the future with The Cabin in Andover. Would love to see that running full time again.

gravityman
04-20-2009, 13:48
Manchester Center near the trail or with pick-up service. Get LT and AT hikers plus folks for the non-hiker season (skiing).

I think that's probably one of the best locations for a real buisness. If you just want to hang with hikers, and don't care about making money, Catawba would be great.

hikingsailor
04-20-2009, 17:26
Appreciate the input. I am not too particular if it is N/S. IT is a good suggestion to find one for sale which I am looking at also. Any input on the ones for sale that you may have some contact points would help. I live in PA so the places down south are harder for me to get info on without doing alot of research online. The 4 pines and woods hole sounds interesting to me.