PDA

View Full Version : Missing Dog

Minimumwage!
04-19-2009, 20:24
My name is Mac, and I am a manager at the Laurel Fork Lodge in Hampton TN, about .3 miles from the trail head to the Laurel Falls/321 on Dennis Cove road. My German Shepherd dog ran off following some hikers heading to Damascus. She has been gone for 2 days. I have checked the shelter's logbook and no one mentioned about having a dog following them. Her name is Sally, and she is terribly friendly. She is black with brown "accents" here and there, and is wearing a bright orange collar with her rabies tag on it. The tag has the name of her vet and their phone number on it, their name is the Elizabethton Veterinary Clinic. If you have seen her, please contact me and let me know.
Here is a picture of her
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1510008&l=8751e75853&id=641184453
Thanks!
[email protected]
423-725-3622
Mac McKinney

Tinker
04-19-2009, 20:41
I'm too far away to do anything but pray for the situation, which I am currently doing.
Take care.

Minimumwage!
04-19-2009, 20:51
Thanks Tinker!

MintakaCat
04-19-2009, 21:12
I hate to ask, but no microchip ID?

Blissful
04-19-2009, 21:41
So sorry, hope your dog comes back soon.

FatMan
04-19-2009, 21:57
Wishing you and Sally well. Hopefully Sally will be home soon.

Minimumwage!
04-19-2009, 23:17
No, no microchip. We have only had her for about 5 months, and she has never run off before. Tomorrow i will call the local animal shelter to see if someone had her picked-up.

TOW
04-19-2009, 23:50
No, no microchip. We have only had her for about 5 months, and she has never run off before. Tomorrow i will call the local animal shelter to see if someone had her picked-up.

Well I will keep my eyes out here in case she shows up. My dog's name is Sally as well and almost looks like your dog, only a bit shorter and the markings are different.

Here is a pic as well.

Lyle
04-19-2009, 23:59
Best of luck, hope you get reunited soon.

Engine
04-20-2009, 06:16
I know you checked the shelter log book, but maybe a flyer taped in the front cover of the logbook with Sally's photo would help. Word travels pretty quick on the trail.

Good luck and God bless.

Rain Man
04-20-2009, 11:01
She's a cutie! Sorry to hear she has gone off with some other man! ;)

I wonder if you should be posting a notice and photo up the trail about 25-50 miles. If she's tagging along with some hiker, that's where they'd be now.

Of course, if she still has her collar on, someone should be calling that vet.

We'll keep her and you in our prayers in the meantime. Let us know if she turns up.

Have you informed Bob Peoples at Kincora? Lots of good AT info flows through there too.

Rain:sunMan

wrongway_08
04-20-2009, 15:13
Just for others reading this, it helps to buy a I.D. tag from walmart or petsmart that has the dogs name, your name and your home phone on it.

I have found a few dogs and it is always easier to call the home number and get the dog back sooner.

The vet tag is nice but when someone finds the dog, if its after hours - that person has to hold on to the dog for the night. Some wont feel like going through the extra hassle and that could cost you extra time away from your pet.

Hope you get your puppy back soon :) - he is most likely begging that great hiker food off a bunch of hikers right about now :D.

berninbush
04-20-2009, 15:25
Mac, I hope your pooch turns up soon. That's the worst feeling, not knowing where she is.

One day I accidentally left my back gate unlatched and my dog wandered away for the afternoon. She had lots of adventures and made friends with all the kids in the neighborhood. She is microchipped and has two tags-- one from the rescue group I got her from, and one from the microchip company. Unfortunately, when someone tried calling the phone numbers on the tags to find her owner, nobody answered the phone at the rescue group and the microchip was not registered to my name. (I hadn't had her very long at that point and hadn't transferred it over yet.) Thankfully, when I got home and found her gone, I looked around the neighborhood for a while and found her chilling on a neighbor's fenced patio about 100 feet from my back gate... the lady was nice enough to hang on to her while she tried to figure out what to do.

After that little adventure, I made sure to register the microchip properly. I also ordered for both my dog and my cat, collars embroidered with their names and my phone number. The microchip is the surest way to make sure the ID can't fall off, but the embroidered collar is the quickest way for someone to contact you if they find your animal astray.

wrongway_08
04-20-2009, 16:21
Check this out, GPS for your pet. You look up his/her location on your computer! Pretty cool.

http://www.secureapet.com/?gclid=CK-A6vSkgJoCFQVxFQodXwdlFQ

Minimumwage!
04-20-2009, 20:27
-UPDATE-
I came home today to find a message on my machine from the Johnson City Animal Shelter that Sally is there. It's too late to get her tonite, but tomorrow she will be coming home. How she made it from Hampton to Johnson City, a 30 minute trip via car, is beyond me.
Thanks for all the information and help. i will be SURE to get a secondary form of ID tag on her ASAP! I don't need to go through this again.
thanks again everybody!
mac mckinney

Engine
04-20-2009, 20:36
-UPDATE-
I came home today to find a message on my machine from the Johnson City Animal Shelter that Sally is there. It's too late to get her tonite, but tomorrow she will be coming home. How she made it from Hampton to Johnson City, a 30 minute trip via car, is beyond me.
Thanks for all the information and help. i will be SURE to get a secondary form of ID tag on her ASAP! I don't need to go through this again.
thanks again everybody!
mac mckinney

Congratulations!!! Give her a big hug and then ground her for awhile...:)

MintakaCat
04-20-2009, 20:36
-UPDATE-
thanks again everybody!
mac mckinney

That's great news!

Since the dog's at the vet I would go ahead and get the microchip ID for your dog if I were you. Those things are amazing and I've seen it first hand in finding someone's lost dog.

fehchet
04-21-2009, 04:32
Yippy!!!!!

zoidfu
04-21-2009, 04:50
That's great news!

Since the dog's at the vet I would go ahead and get the microchip ID for your dog if I were you. Those things are amazing and I've seen it first hand in finding someone's lost dog.

'should also go with the old fashioned tag with your number and/or address on it.

It's the 3rd or 4th post down but my friend NativePennsylvanian lost his dog and they either didn't bother scanning for the chip when they found her or didn't have a scanner.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=758500#post758500

MintakaCat
04-21-2009, 05:13
'should also go with the old fashioned tag with your number and/or address on it.

Yep, I agree. The more clues you put on your dog the better the chances of it finding you in the end.

Engine
04-21-2009, 06:42
We have a Boston Terrier that became a complete pain in the butt when he hit doggy puberty. He would tear out the door and take off every chance he got. Thankfully, we had a tag on his collar we got from the Vet that allowed people to go to a website and track down his owners (us), so we got him back every time. This happened around 5 or 6 times, so we had some anatomical alterations made to his back end and the behavior stopped...:)

mister krabs
04-21-2009, 07:01
get a tag like this (http://www.boomerangtags.com/store/list.php?A=G&ID=5) Put your home and cell phone on it, as well as your street address.

Engine
04-21-2009, 07:17
I just checked and the site is www.getmehome.com

Worldwide
04-21-2009, 08:36
Let me guess no leash? No ID Tags? Seems like you aren't responsible enough to own said dog. Oh well

Engine
04-21-2009, 08:42
Let me guess no leash? No ID Tags? Seems like you aren't responsible enough to own said dog. Oh well

A wee bit judgemental for someone who apparently didn't even read the OP.

berninbush
04-21-2009, 08:46
Worldwide, if you'd bothered to read the opening post you would notice that the dog did indeed have a vet ID tag which allowed the owner to be contacted when the dog was found. Honestly, you're just making yourself look bad there.

http://www.dogidcollar.com/collars.html
These embroidered collars are not expensive, and they have a couple of advantages over a metal tag: 1) they are less noisy and don't dangle, and 2) they're less likely to get lost. With a tag attached to the collar, there are two possible points of failure: where the tag and collar meet, or where the collar itself buckles. If either of those fails, you've lost the ID. If the information is on the collar itself, you've eliminated one point of failure from the equation. The embroidery on the collar is also very obvious and easy to see.

Embroidered collar + microchip = the best way I can think of to make sure the dog is identified as yours at all times.

Worldwide
04-21-2009, 09:16
I have a reading disorder quit picking on me!

FatMan
04-21-2009, 09:25
Let me guess no leash? No ID Tags? Seems like you aren't responsible enough to own said dog. Oh wellSince you have no evidence as to the facts in this case and your post is purely speculative, I would suggest you aren't responsible enough to post in this forum.

Two Speed
04-21-2009, 09:26
Worldwide has made an "oops, my bad" post so let's move along.

Blissful
04-21-2009, 10:21
Wow great news about your dog. :)

FatMan
04-21-2009, 15:44
I am so very pleased to hear the good news. I can only imaging how gut wrenching the past couple of days have been for you.

SteveJ
04-21-2009, 16:15
whoo-hoo!!

Colter
04-22-2009, 16:54
-UPDATE-
I came home today to find a message on my machine from the Johnson City Animal Shelter that Sally is there.

That's good news indeed.

WhiteBearDog
04-30-2009, 23:01
Glad you found her... I was about to say I could post you a local ad for nothing but thankfully it's not neccessary.

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-30-2009, 23:49
I am so glad you found ur pooch. I was going to tell you not to worry. Here's a story for you all. In 2000 I was on Phish Tour and North of Sandiego we stopped to get gas. There was this really cool dog there and his name was Chance. I forget what state he was from, but the attendant said the dog had been there for over an hour. Knowing Phish had just left town and the dog was attracted to people who smelled of "greener ingredients lol" I had a strong feeling it was another heads dog. So I loded Chance up in the Van and off we went towards Shorline Apitheater, we were not there an hour before we here this women screaming "CHANCE!!!!! CHANCE!!!! CHANCE!!!!!" I turned to see the beautiful girl running up with tears in her eyes, and I swear if I didn't know better I would think chance had tears as well.
I had been told stories of heads and hikers dogs hitching to their owners, but this one happened to me so it made me a believer.