PDA

View Full Version : Hiking with younger children?

Jayboflavin04
04-19-2009, 20:56
So, my son(8) and I like to hike together. I recently have bought him a backpack and am anxious about getting him out. We did a day hike today 9 miles....not to bad! He was ok until the last mile or two (his feet started aching). I really try to limit our mileage, but it is harder to do on a day hike.....you cant just flop down and camp.

Wanna know about everyones experiences with this. Packs and pack weight, shoes, gear, mileage, what you do to keep them occupied while not hiking and enjoying the scenery(luckly my son likes to read). I wanna keep it enjoyable and educational.

Mostly had to deal with aching feet in our experiences.....but he still likes to get out there! He asked me today on the way home....."Where to next dad?".

We did see a little wild life today! A Blue Heron, some king fishers, tree ducks, and a couple canadian geese.

mister krabs
04-19-2009, 21:27
Sounds like you don't have to worry, a little complaining is part of the deal with kids, whether you go 2 or 10 miles.

I've got my son (a big 7 years old) in a 2500 pack, he carries 1 liter of water, his down sleeping bag and clothes, extra socks, crocs. I let him take a few toys like lego figures. He never plays with them, but likes to bring them. I let him take a pocket knife too, though he loses it almost every time. His pack is about 10 lbs. I carry everything else. He just wears his regular sneakers. We always bring FRS radio walkie talkie. It's lots of fun for the kids and gives them a sense of independance while I get a little comfort knowing I can talk to him when I can't see him.

I have discovered the ultimate at keeping my son entertained while backpacking, a friend. I'm lucky enough to have a like-minded friend who has a son who is 8, they get along great and keep each other entertained. The bit of extra peer pressure also helps keep the complaining down.

The important thing is just getting them out there. The details will work themselves out.

Blissful
04-19-2009, 21:35
What a great story. Keep on hiking. They are making better hiking shoes for young ones too, esp if he really wants to get out there. Maybe a trail runner he can wear both hiking and for every day - though I know their feet grow fast.

Jayboflavin04
04-19-2009, 22:10
I just bought him a New Balance Trail runner(460). They were brand new last night and all muddy today!!!:banana:banana:banana He said they were comfortable! Only thing is I think he could feel the rocks. I first started him off in a all leather hiking boot....never again! Their feet grow before they break them in! He really suffered through a hike one day in those.

Thanks cranky. I have a set of those walkies...I should break em out! I bought my son an osprey jib (2100ci). It is adjustable with room to grow w/ an integrated rain cover. He also has a TNF tiger synthetic bag rated for 20 and will fit a kid up to 5'. Just a few odds and ends to get him. A mess kit, a couple stuff sacks, and of course
clothes. Need alot of suggestions on the clothes.

Feral Bill
04-19-2009, 22:29
My kids started off the same way, short trips, kid driven, with decent gear. That was a time that my Dana pack really shined, carrying much of the gear for three.

I always kept my kids in sight, but I guess you don't have grizzleys and cougars in Ohio.

Don't be afraid of challenging trips, as long as your son is enjoying himself. Even an eight year old can surprise you.

My kids always brought a book, but usually found plenty in nature to entertain them.

Oh yes, socks are really important, I got my kids Smartwools early on and I believe that paid off.

Mine are 16 and 18 now, and I'm too slow for their taste. Enjoy your adventures .

JAK
04-19-2009, 22:37
My daughter is 9 and we have done alot of 20km days since she was 7 but I don't have her carry any weight yet. She is on the small side though. I think we will make her a pack this summer. Her feet are not even kids size 1 yet. She is still a size 13 in whatever is less than a kid. She is pretty light on her feet so she could hike in moccassins, and we might make a pair of those also. She's been hiking in running shoes.

The big think is they need to explore. Adults tend to be on a mission. Children are naturally more inclined to learn and explore, especially in a natural setting. With other kids around, which they like, they can get a little more distracted, but other kids can also make them more willing to go. We had a dog the other day and I find with a dog along kids are more inclined to keep moving. I don't find kids get tired, as long as they aren't overburdened. They just get bored, so you have to let them explore, though sometimes they respond to a challenge also. With my daughter we generally try and hurry on the way out, and doddle once we get there and on the way back. The most important thing is to give yourself enough time so that they can doddle on the way back.

They also seem to like sticks.

On longer trips and overnights a book of short stories related to nature works really well.
We read this book on our 3 day hike when she was 7 and it was awesome...

http://www.amazon.com/Micmac-Stories-Ruth-Holmes-Whitehead/dp/1551090996

My advice is try and not make it about the gear, except what you make with them. For clothing I try and encourage her to avoid cotton and to always wear wool, and always have clothing and shoes for outdoors fun even when she goes to school. When we go hiking she knows how to dress, but for everyday clothing its harder to get her to make good choices. It isn't easy to tell women what to wear. She is more likely to tell me what to wear, and get away with it.

Basically same clothing as me. Wool sweater, fleece pants. Pack base layer and wind and rain shells.
Adult wind shells can be worn by kids with the arms bloused up. Works really well.

Jayboflavin04
04-19-2009, 23:12
Really good info so far. I realize this is part of my problem. As I have not learned the total art of the ancient practice of "patience". I have to say though....This was his hike today....I followed him almost the whole way except for the few times he told me to lead. I have to also say I did not raise my voice once today.

Oh how nice it would be to have another child along. Unfortunately I don't have any friends w/kids that are interested in hiking as we are, or they are older or younger than (wee man/lil e/stinky) ethan. HINT HINT HINT.....any women out there that have kids love to hike and are SINGLE.....lol........

Have to say.....this hike was a little better than the last, a little less complaining, and we covered our miles a little quicker, I was more relaxed. I saw a lot more comfort, enjoyment and self assurance in him also.

Alligator
04-19-2009, 23:17
Keep the mileage and weight comfortable and do some overnights and I think it will fall into place. Your fellow is older than miine, but celebrate the accomplishment of of getting them out!

JAK
04-19-2009, 23:24
Patience. lol
I still catch myself sometimes saying stuff like...
"Come on Margaret we can't stop and play we have to get to the playground."

Remember this simple rule. If they stop and play, you have arrived.
So give yourself enough time and build alot of flexibility into your plans.

It is great to have other kids and another adult but enjoy time alone with them also. I've found the best place to really communicate and get somewhere with her is when we are out in the woods alone doing nothing.

Ox97GaMe
04-19-2009, 23:29
I hiked with a group of 9,10, and 11 yr old girls back in '98. They worked up to being able to carry their kid size packs (Kelty). They carried their lunch, one liter of water, and their clothes. The adults in the group split the weight of the tents, food, and cookware.

They made it from Springer to Pen-Mar (over 1000 miles)

Jayboflavin04
04-19-2009, 23:44
I really enjoyed our lunch today! We didnt talk about nothing. We just sat on the pic-nic table enjoyed some jerky, gorp, and some left over easter candy. Enjoyed the breeze along the Clear Fork river. He also ate like a thru-hiker afterwards. Two cheeseburgers, small fry small soft drink and a oreo mcflurry.

JAK
04-20-2009, 00:37
Way cool thread.

We've been rather successful lately using hot lemonaid as an alternative to hot chocolate.

SteveJ
04-20-2009, 01:47
I started backpacking with my oldest son when he joined Boy Scouts at age 11. On our first trip we also brought along my then 9-yr old. I knew enough then, even tho we didn't have good lightweight gear, to keep their packs light (<20% body weight). My youngest went on his first trip when he was 6 or 7, carrying a book bag with his sleeping bag in it. He's now 13, has done about 120 miles of the AT with me, and we're planning a 50 mile trip this summer. The middle one, now 19, is talking about joining us when he's home on break. (It'll be a cold day somewhere before the oldest goes backpacking again!)

It sounds like you have a great start! Get him out there - keep his pack light so he isn't miserable - and have fun! (river hikes during late spring, summer, or early fall are a great idea!)

Jayboflavin04
04-20-2009, 07:55
For anyone that is interested. There is a pretty nice website site....http://www.upsideover.com. They have all kinds of cool gear for kids. Backpacks, footwear, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, rain gear, ect from top makers.

Wee Man also has a day pack. It is a kelty "starfish". Comes with a 1L hydration bladder and has just enough room for rain gear, lunch, and any extras., also has a sternum strap whistle. Overall a very nice piece of gear durable and functional and has a nice fit.

I was thinking about doin a section of the AT with him this year. Any thoughts on taking him to do Mt Rogers and trying to check out the wild ponies in the Grayson Highlands. I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the difficulty of that section and how often the wild ponies are around. Maybe carry a bag of carrots or apples and feed them. I think he would be totally stoked about something like that.

jesse
04-20-2009, 08:06
9 miles is a bit much for a 8y/o IMO.

Two Tents
04-20-2009, 08:46
When my daughters were 4 and 5 we did our first real trip to Whittenburg in the Catskill Mountains. I had them each carry some thing that the group had to have ie. the cook pot or the fly for the tent. That way I could motivate them to keep going because the group needed us and we needed them. The five year old was no problem but me and my little one were always at the back of the pack but she didn't want to not catch up to mom and her sister. We did many trips in the blue ridge mts. and used the important piece of gear trick alot.--- Two Tents

Jayboflavin04
04-20-2009, 09:48
I agree that 9 miles is high for an 8 y/o. We are still tryin to find our "happy medium" . I just love all the great input as usual. This something I have always been interested in. Now, I just have to someone I need to teach it to and keep him interested and open enough to keep him going with me.

I guess the reason I started this thread is because I am a concerned parent. Doin an activity with my young son that can sometimes push us all to the edge of our comfort zone. As an adult, I am happy pushing myself to that edge and enjoy the beauty and all the other stuff that comes with this activity. I am happy doin absolutely nothing and never find myself as an adult sayin "Im bored", or doin an extra couple miles with some tolerable pain. I think one of the reasons we all hike is because of the beauty, solitude, and challenges. Something that is hard to make a child understand.

JAK
04-20-2009, 10:20
Kids can walk all day. Just don't overburden them and let them go at their pace.
My daughter has been doing 12 mile days since she was seven, even in rugged terrain.
Sometimes she will so a 12 mile day. Sometimes 2 miles is enough. She doesn't get tired, just bored.

My advice is to let them hike as far as they want to, and encourage them to do so,
but carry everything you can for them, and let them stop and explore as much as they want to.

Margaret is going on 10 this summer and she still doesn't hike with a pack, but she hikes 12 mile days if and when she wants to. She has never gotten tired and sore doing it. She does sleep very well at the end of the day though.

DAJA
04-20-2009, 10:20
I think one of the reasons we all hike is because of the beauty, solitude, and challenges. Something that is hard to make a child understand.

Stick them with a 1 hr commute to and from a job stuck in a cubicle and a phone ringing off the hook and they will get it! LOL

Keep in mind we all come from a hunting and gathering society, one in which it was normal to move many times a year depending on the food migration routes and season. Children where expected to participate and assist in the move just as adults.

Children are far more resiliant than our PC culture wants us to believe. Hell my grandfather was 16yrs old when he lied about his age to enlist in WWII. He started in Italy and ended in Germany... How many 16yr olds today could handle that kind of responsibility and commitment? Guess it makes a difference when folks are shooting at you.

Even 100yrs ago it was not uncommon for a 16yr old boy and 14-15yr old girl to start a family together. We have turned childhood into a never ending process in which everyone from Oshcosh, Fisher Price to Nike can sell them every imaginable peice of garbage...

Challenge them and push them, don't let them fall into the consumer sink hole that makes us all soft.

Other exsamples are in current third worlds. It's not uncommon at all for an 8yr old to walk 5 - 10 miles for water or firewood.. We in the developed world are getting softer by the minute... But our excessiveness can't last forever, mother nature will be teaching us a very harsh lesson sooner than many would like to believe! Better to prepare them young... Wally World won't be around forever..

Jayboflavin04
04-20-2009, 10:39
Stick them with a 1 hr commute to and from a job stuck in a cubicle and a phone ringing off the hook and they will get it! LOL

I guess I got my point across without saying it as bluntly as you.

JAK
04-20-2009, 10:42
For estimating purposes I use 2 mph in easy and moderate terrain, rather than 3mph for myself. In rugged terrain however she sets the pace and I have trouble keeping up when burdened, so 1mph for that same as for myself. Those are best times, like if we really had to get back, but its better not to put yourself in those situations with kids. You have to drill it into your head that they are there to explore, not to cover distance or carry weight like a beast of burden. If they want to stop and play with rocks, you have to let them. That is what nature wants them to do. If you really have to get somewhere they can keep up, but they might not want to do it again. Sometimes their idea of exploring is 12 miles in a day. Sometimes it is only 2 miles. Yeah sometimes they might want to load up with gear, but I wouldn't encourage that, and I haven't had that problem with Margaret. She does like hiking sticks though. If they want to make a hiking stick, let them. If they want you to carry a stick, carry a stick. Fun project actually, making hiking sticks. Every kid and parent is different but that's been our story so far. This year will be different, no doubt. It is getting harder to keep ahead of the social pressures because none of her friends do what we do.

We are doing a hike at Rockwood Park with her Guide Unit after school today. I've been asked to help out. It's an honour and a privilege. It's going to be fun to see how they all explore as a group, and to see what I might learn from their guide leader. Hopefully Margaret won't mention all her 12 mile exploits, she the smallest in her unit. I'm guessing it will only 1 or 2 miles tops, then to the Lily Lake Pavillion for snacks, but I won't belittle it. Every trail in the woods and every step I get to hike with my daughter and her friends are golden. They have much longer journeys ahead of them than I do.

Don't take any hike with them for granted.

JAK
04-20-2009, 10:51
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUq5qQdQzAE

man2th
04-20-2009, 10:51
get them their own. low end, digital camera.....they can start their own albums...create their own memories....and you can see your childs journey thru their eyes

Engine
04-20-2009, 10:59
We started taking each of our children backpacking at age 7 or so. The first trips were always with a rucksack carrying about 7-8 pounds. Mom and I carried the rest to make it as enjoyable for them as possible. We would keep mileage in the 5-10 mile range depending on terrain (almost always in GSMNP). I still remember how frustrated I would get when my son would be dragging his feet looking exhausted and then 15 minutes after we got to a campsite he would disappear and play for hours. :)

Kids have an incredible ability to recharge their batteries if they are having fun. That was our main goal, just have fun and take our time. One of my fondest memories is watching my children wrestle around in the grass on Gregory bald while mom and I watched the sunset.

Engine
04-20-2009, 10:59
get them their own. low end, digital camera.....they can start their own albums...create their own memories....and you can see your childs journey thru their eyes

That is a great idea.

JAK
04-20-2009, 11:02
I know 7-8 pounds doesn't seem like much but I think for a kid it really is.
My daughter is on the small side though. She is 9.5 years but only 55 pounds.
She carries more than 7-8 pounds to school, but not far. When we hike I carry.

JAK
04-20-2009, 11:07
Now I've seen other kids her age that can a small horse.
But I think a good rule while they are growing is to carry as little as possible.
Plus as a bonus you can get more miles out of them that way, even though that's not what its about either.

Jayboflavin04
04-20-2009, 11:12
Let us know how your hike after school goes today! Have fun and enjoy.....
Just remember...PATIENCE... there will be alot of little girls there. Just tryin to get your back there JAK.

Ethan is in Cub Scouts and I enjoy going on the camp outs with them. I tend to give him more freedom and let him do his thing with his buddies.

JAK
04-20-2009, 11:15
Thanks Jayboflavin04. Message received. I'll be a Catcher-In-The-Rye is all.

Jayboflavin04
04-20-2009, 11:46
MAIN reason this is so important to me! I grew up with out a father. My mom worked alot to keep the two of us afloat. I had no one to teach me, grow with, or experience some of the simpler things in life. I love the fact that we have something special goin on with the outdoors, and hiking. It is of EXTREME importance to me that this continous to blossom and grow. I think I would be absolutely heart broken if he told me he didnt want to go hiking anymore.

SteveJ
04-20-2009, 12:08
MAIN reason this is so important to me! I grew up with out a father. My mom worked alot to keep the two of us afloat. I had no one to teach me, grow with, or experience some of the simpler things in life. I love the fact that we have something special goin on with the outdoors, and hiking. It is of EXTREME importance to me that this continous to blossom and grow. I think I would be absolutely heart broken if he told me he didnt want to go hiking anymore.

Good for you, Jayboflavin.....just be careful not to push them too hard. I probably did with my oldest son, and by the time he was 14, he was done with it. In Boy Scouts we try to prepare the new scouts for their first backpacking trip, but frequently have a boy who struggles in spite of the fact that his pack is light and the trail is easy. We often don't see these boys again......

bpitt
04-20-2009, 12:35
My oldest is 8, and she love's to hike. I too, am interested in stories, etc, to get them/keep them interested. My daughter loves to 'lead the way', until a snake is spotted, or a spider web is encountered, then daddy has to lead, lol.

Alligator
04-20-2009, 12:37
If you take the opportunity to point out the natural world to them, they will start to do the same back to you. Show them a new tree, bird, a beautiful view, a sunset, or a rainbow and they will begin to realize those things are "valuable".

bpitt
04-20-2009, 12:50
True dat. My 8 loves to spot out cool plants and animals.

DAJA
04-20-2009, 12:51
I used to run a program for high risk youth where we took them on hiking, canoe, kayak trips ranging from overnight to one week. They where broken into two groups; 12-14 and 15-17 years old. Though both groups definitly had their challenges, the 12 - 14 group where my favorite to work with.

The program ran for six months, with the kids spending everyday afterschool with us and then one weekend a month. Afterschools where spent learning first aid & CPR, orienteering, and basic camping/survival skills, learning to use gear, canoe and kayak strokes, open water rescue, conditioning, etc. The weekends where spent doing small over night trips to give them confidence, and then the final month was a 3 day kayak trip, followed by a week long canoe trip followed by a week long hiking trip. So the whole program was about preparing them for the final month.

Overall, my favorite portion of the program was the final weekend trip when we hiked Katahdin.. That was always a great trip, and the looks of wonder and joy when they reached the peak will forever be some of my happiest moments.

A few tricks I found helpful in the beginning to peak their interest and keep them moving:

1) give them a small scavenger hunt list of things found in nature.. It really helps spark good educational discussion and keeps them moving forward looking for the next item on the list. (to save weight, give them a disposable camera and tell them to take pictures of each item they find)

2) since we where a group this was easier, but if you have two or more children, make teams of two pairing a stronger more capable kid with a weaker one (they don't need to know why they are being paired), and the rule is that the stronger one can encourage and help the weaker one, but they cannot pass them on the trail. This is motivation for the weaker one, plus support, but stress to keep encouragement possitive.

3. Kids learn by exploration and doing (play), this stimulates their imagination, so dust the cobb webs off your inner child and get down right silly with them, make even a small hike a great adventure. If they get going about a bird they saw, on the fly come up with a great little story of a bird including your journey in the story. You keep their imagination active and you won't have to worry about them getting bored or complaining.

4. Give them a cheap silva compass/ or now a days a gps, teach them how to use it and make them part of the decision making process on directions... Check if there are any Geocache's along your route to find. Kids love to find treasure!

The digital camera idea is a great idea.

medicjimr
04-20-2009, 12:58
great thread allot of good advice

bpitt
04-20-2009, 13:12
Yeah, my wife always creates a scavenger hunt list for her. She'll put certain animal tracks on their, certain kind of leaf, etc. My daughter really digs that. She also digs stream crossings, I think every kid likes that.

Jayboflavin04
04-20-2009, 13:31
So anyway! I just want to point something out. Where are all the women at in this thread? Us men are bein open about spending time with our children. If we were jokin arouond bein men they would be up our buttholes!

JAK
04-20-2009, 14:52
Maybe it was your post#7. lol

Jayboflavin04
04-20-2009, 16:13
In all seriousness! If that is what I was really looking for outta this thread I would have continued to focus on it. Just seems like I have read alot of threads were the guys were jokin and the girls were yellin.

I am talkin on another site I frequent about a good over nighter here in Ohio. Perferably a nice loop trail. I am gonna go for 10-12 miles. This will be Ethans first time out with a pack.

AlabamaDan
06-30-2009, 12:04
I went on a 4 mile hike earlier this month with my 10 and 8 year old. It was moderate to strenuous hike. There was a bit of compaining about the heat and their packs. The packs weren't adequate - lesson learned. Most of the compaining was because they were a little bored and after the 1st waterfall was dry it chipped in. I was really surprised at my 10 year old's pace. I actually had to ask her to slow down.

If it hadn'd been so hot and they stayed entertained they could do 10 miles easy. By entertained I mean stopping every so often to let them explore a dead limb, animal, frog - whatever. Gotta keep it fun - they remind me to have fun sometimes too.