PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Fontana Dam for a week - safe/unsafe

GR82Hike
04-19-2009, 21:08
I would like to leave a car at Fontana Dam for a week. Have there been any recent reports of break-ins/vehicle theft? Since this is TVA property is there a person patrolling that I could/should phone; and phone number?

Lyle
04-19-2009, 22:12
I left my car at the Visitor Center for 17 days last May - no problems. It was recommended by two different shuttle operators as a relatively safe place. Nothing is guaranteed.

I arrived at night, in the AM, while waiting for my shuttle to arrive, a TVA patrol car drove through the lot. I flagged him down and explained what I had been told. He confirmed that it was perfectly ok to leave the vehicle (requested it be left in the upper lot, not the lower one). No official permission or registration was necessary. He did advise me to take the normal precautions of not leaving valuables in the vehicle or at least concealing them from casual inspection.

Ox97GaMe
04-19-2009, 23:42
TVA does have security agents that go to the area occassionally. It isnt full time security, but is probably often enough to deter theft/vandalism. I was there last Wed and saw two different security officers during the course of the evening.

gearfreak
04-20-2009, 09:12
Parked here for a week in September without incident. :cool: