PDA

View Full Version : starting in very late April

Tanya
04-20-2009, 07:59
Hello everyone,

I am going for a two month hike and I would like to start in GA (from the beginning of the trail and get as far as I can in the time I have). Originally I planned on leaving in the first week of April, but unforseen circumstances prevented me. Now I can leave April 23-24. I would still like to start in Georgia but I need answers to the following questions:

1. Are there still people at the start of the trail this late? I don't want to be alone.

2. What's the weather like in those parts in late spring? Is it getting a bit hot?

Thank you very much for your insights,

happy trails,
t.

thestin
04-20-2009, 08:08
There will still be plenty of people on the trail.

The weather in late April can range from hot and sunny to cold and rainy. Even a slight chance of snow in the higher elevations. There have been snow storms in May.

max patch
04-20-2009, 09:30
I left on my thru just a few days later than the start of your trip. More often that not the weather will be good. However, I was suprised that I had several nights the first week that I was very cold at night (20 degree bag) and actually saw snow flurries in the gsmnp.

Awol2003
04-20-2009, 10:17
I started a thru-hike on Apr 26. The hiking herd had thinned nicely, but it was far from lonely. For the first month, it was too cold for me more often than too hot.

fiddlehead
04-20-2009, 10:46
On one of my NOBO thrus, i started May 9.
I was surprised at the amount of people still back that far.
Seems the partying crowd realizes quickly that rushing their year of adventure is not their thing.
So, small groups were around about every other day or so that would be sleeping in till noon-ish, getting 5 or so miles in and enjoying the trail and the shelters for a partying atmosphere.

It was very tempting to slow down and join them sometimes and i do think they attracted a few followers because of this. But i had my mind set on a thru and finished Oct 12 that year.

Good fun all the way.
Enjoy!