PDA

View Full Version : Trail Day's Warning

TOW
04-20-2009, 08:58
To all of you who plan on coming to Trail Day's simply to party, be prepared to get your party stepped on because the police are out in full force this year.

If you plan on partaking of illegal drug activity then the police are planning on busting you for it.

I thought it would be fair just to warn you.

On the other hand for those of you who are coming to meet old friends and party with the legal substance of alcohol then have fun! I am sure your party will not be thwarted.

kanga
04-20-2009, 08:59
YAY ATF! you pigs rock!

zoidfu
04-20-2009, 09:01
lol I'm sure that everything will be fine when only alcohol is involved

fiddlehead
04-20-2009, 09:04
I got busted there once for having a beer.
They must've changed the rules.

What about the locals and their "shine"?
Do they look the other way for that?

kanga
04-20-2009, 09:11
they didn't last year. several were going around asking to see people's nalgene bottles.

DAJA
04-20-2009, 09:26
Yes cause nothing bad ever happens when alcohol is involved!

Lone Wolf
04-20-2009, 09:32
On the other hand for those of you who are coming to meet old friends and party with the legal substance of alcohol then have fun! I am sure your party will not be thwarted.

you will be thwarted if the alcohol is in an open container and/or you are drunk in public

TOW
04-20-2009, 09:58
you will be thwarted if the alcohol is in an open container and/or you are drunk in publicthanx for adding that........

as the chief told me though he will not be after the alky's as much as he will be after the druggies.......

traildust
04-20-2009, 10:08
sounds like a joyful time will be had by all.

Lone Wolf
04-20-2009, 10:11
sounds like a joyful time will be had by all.

except for the dopers. you won't have a problem if you do the right thing :) happy 420 :rolleyes:

Engine
04-20-2009, 10:12
Are we gonna rehash this again?

kanga
04-20-2009, 10:16
haha you said hash

Engine
04-20-2009, 10:18
haha you said hash

Freudian? Who knows... (Did I even come close to spelling that correctly?)

kanga
04-20-2009, 10:24
i googled - yeah you spelled it correctly

Jim Adams
04-20-2009, 10:52
What a waste... busting dopers but overlooking the 'shiners...yeah, that's an unbiased officer. Looks like you need a new police force.

geek

leeki pole
04-20-2009, 10:58
What a waste... busting dopers but overlooking the 'shiners...yeah, that's an unbiased officer. Looks like you need a new police force.

geek
I don't think possession of 'shine is a crime, at least not here, just buying and selling it. Now for dopers, different story. Bust 'em.

Jim Adams
04-20-2009, 11:06
I don't think possession of 'shine is a crime, at least not here, just buying and selling it. Now for dopers, different story. Bust 'em.
Possession was a crime last year!:-?

geek

Lyle
04-20-2009, 11:11
edited by Lyle

Slimer
04-20-2009, 11:33
Possession of 'shine is most definitely illegal.

Two Speed
04-20-2009, 11:47
I know the sale of untaxed liquor is most definitely illegal, but I'm pretty sure it's legal to produce and possess your own 'shine. Beer and wine, too, if it matters.

The sale or purchase of untaxed liquor, beer or wine? Being drunk in public, whether or not your beverage is taxed or untaxed? Yeah, that'll get ya locked up.

tenbeer
04-20-2009, 11:51

geek
They already did this. Read this www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9012726 (http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9012726)

vamelungeon
04-20-2009, 12:02
I know the sale of untaxed liquor is most definitely illegal, but I'm pretty sure it's legal to produce and possess your own 'shine. Beer and wine, too, if it matters.

The sale or purchase of untaxed liquor, beer or wine? Being drunk in public, whether or not your beverage is taxed or untaxed? Yeah, that'll get ya locked up.
It is against both Virginia law and Federal law to possess untaxed DISTILLED spirits. You can make your own wine and beer because they aren't distilled. If you need me to, I can show you the exact Virginia law.

vamelungeon
04-20-2009, 12:18
Here it is anyway-

§ 4.1-313. Possessing, transporting, etc., alcoholic beverages illegally acquired; penalty.
A. No person, other than a common carrier, shall have, possess, keep, carry, ship or transport alcoholic beverages upon which the tax imposed by the laws of the United States has not been paid.
B. No person shall possess alcoholic beverages in amounts in excess of the limits provided in § 4.1-311 (http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+4.1-311) in containers not bearing evidence that they have been purchased from the Board or a person licensed to sell them, or other evidence that the tax due to the Commonwealth or the markup required by the Board has been paid, unless it can be proved that the alcoholic beverages were lawfully acquired by the possessor.
C. Any person convicted of a violation of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
(Code 1950, § 4-75; 1954, c. 484; 1966, c. 408; 1974, c. 460; 1975, c. 481; 1976, c. 36; 1984, c. 603; 1993, c. 866.)

zoidfu
04-20-2009, 12:24
you will be thwarted if the alcohol is in an open container and/or you are drunk in public

So, you can't drink at all then?

Mother's Finest
04-20-2009, 12:48
you won't have a problem if you do the right thing :) happy 420 :rolleyes:

and a Happy 420 right back at you...:sun

peace
mf

zoidfu
04-20-2009, 12:56
thanx for adding that........

as the chief told me though he will not be after the alky's as much as he will be after the druggies.......

Makes sense... or something... I mean, why enforce the law in a consistent manner?:rolleyes:

fiddlehead
04-20-2009, 13:02
Interesting story about when i was busted at trail days.
I was selling my hiking stuff from my stand and along comes an old friend who i travelled around the world with about 5 years before. The last time i saw him was in Bangkok.

So, i had a cooler of Yuengling (I come from about 4 miles from the brewery) and we proceeded to open one up to celebrate seeing each other again.
Didn't even get to take sip out of it and 2 plainsclothes cops were on us like that.

As they were hauling us off, my buddy was trying to explain to them that we hadn't seen each other since Asia and had done this big trip and all this stuff. I kept my mouth shut.
Got in the cop car and the cop looks at my drivers license and sees i'm from PA.
He then asked me if i knew anything about Ted Nugent cause apparantly Ted had just done a hunting thing up there on bears or something.
I told him that i had just come back from the Bolivian jungle and gave 2 arrows that i found down there to Ted.

He looked at me real strange and said: Are you Jesus? (I swear this is what he said!!!)
I said: "would it matter?" and he said: "NO!" and proceeded to bust me for the beer.
Strange cops in that town.

Late on that night, a buddy brought over some shine and proceeded to drink it until he just fell flat right on his face in the middle of a circle of us that were standing around.

We covered him up and he slept right there that whole night.

True Story! Trail Daze 1995

Lone Wolf
04-20-2009, 13:05

geekthe police are bustin' shiners too. our police force is damn good

DAJA
Whole thing seems lame! I'll stick to music festivals...

Sly
I'm pretty sure it's legal to produce and possess your own 'shine. Beer and wine, too, if it matters.

Beer and wine yes, hard liquor no.

Footslogger
Interesting story about when i was busted at trail days.
I was selling my hiking stuff from my stand and along comes an old friend who i travelled around the world with about 5 years before. The last time i saw him was in Bangkok.

So, i had a cooler of Yuengling (I come from about 4 miles from the brewery) and we proceeded to open one up to celebrate seeing each other again.
Didn't even get to take sip out of it and 2 plainsclothes cops were on us like that.

As they were hauling us off, my buddy was trying to explain to them that we hadn't seen each other since Asia and had done this big trip and all this stuff. I kept my mouth shut.
Got in the cop car and the cop looks at my drivers license and sees i'm from PA.
He then asked me if i knew anything about Ted Nugent cause apparantly Ted had just done a hunting thing up there on bears or something.
I told him that i had just come back from the Bolivian jungle and gave 2 arrows that i found down there to Ted.

He looked at me real strange and said: Are you Jesus? (I swear this is what he said!!!)
I said: "would it matter?" and he said: "NO!" and proceeded to bust me for the beer.
Strange cops in that town.

Late on that night, a buddy brought over some shine and proceeded to drink it until he just fell flat right on his face in the middle of a circle of us that were standing around.

We covered him up and he slept right there that whole night.

True Story! Trail Daze 1995
=============================

I remember hearing about that ...Trail Days was still down by the river back then, if my burned out memory still serves me correctly.

'Slogger

Sly
04-20-2009, 13:07
Brownies in triple ziplocs, problem solved.

Dr O
04-20-2009, 13:14
Open liquor laws are stupid.

I hate how they invent crimes for no other reason than to try to prevent other crimes. Drunk in public is already illegal.

Two Speed
04-20-2009, 13:39
Here it is anyway-

§ 4.1-313. Possessing, transporting, etc., alcoholic beverages illegally acquired; penalty. . . .
Beer and wine yes, hard liquor no.Weird. So in Virginia I can get hammered on home made beer or wine, but liquor is a no-no? :-?

I can think of a real easy way to screw that up, but it's technically illegal so I'll just say that with a little thought that regulation would be easy enough to skirt, just got to be slightly smarter than a bowling ball and it's no problem.

Tin Man
04-20-2009, 13:43
Brownies in triple ziplocs, problem solved.

garlic in the outer layer - to fool the dog

kyhipo
04-20-2009, 13:50
They already did this. Read this www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9012726 (http://www.timesnews.net/article.php?id=9012726)
funny :Dcommies

The Weasel
04-20-2009, 13:58

1) Production of spirits (including "shine") must be licensed by (IRS, I believe) and there is no "home made" license
2) Beer/wine may be made for family consumption up to certain limits.
3) Penalties for small amounts of unlicensed alcohol products are usually minor.

TW

Lyle
04-20-2009, 14:08
1)
3) Penalties for small amounts of unlicensed alcohol products are usually minor.

TW

Small amount of pot - throw them in jail!!!!

Double standard, made worse with selective enforcement by police, prosecutors and community at large.

Lone Wolf
04-20-2009, 14:12

Double standard, made worse with selective enforcement by police, prosecutors and community at large.

all this whinin', moanin' and complainin' about cops bustin' your dumb asses does nothing. just don't smoke your dope or drink shine/beer in front of the LEOs. if you get busted you ain't too bright

DAJA
04-20-2009, 14:18

Yes, cause you folks don't already spend enough on prison's... Why not lock up all speeders while your at it, there is no doubt they are a bigger harm to the public good...

The US could have the best Universal Health Care (free for everyone) in the world for what you spend on LE and Corrections... Crazy! Talk about mis placed priorities... Instead you settle for Fantastic health care for those who can afford it, yet mediocre at best for those who can't...

When I was married my wife who was American was thrilled when she no longer had to pay $300/month for health insurance. She was even more thrilled when she discovered Canada's free health care covered more than her HMO (?) insurance plan... Even better she discovered perscription drugs where about 1/2 price of what she payed on the US side...

But hey, if you feel like pumping tax dollars down the toilet to lock up someone for smoking pot, carry on!

Lyle
04-20-2009, 14:18
all this whinin', moanin' and complainin' about cops bustin' your dumb asses does nothing. just don't smoke your dope or drink shine/beer in front of the LEOs. if you get busted you ain't too bright

Don't plan to do either:
1) I never smoke pot, very rarely drink any alcohol
2) I don't plan to be in Damascus during Trail Days anytime soon, probably ever.

But the hypocrisy and double standard of both the laws and the attitudes being expressed here is blatantly obvious. Injustice is injustice, whether condoned by the law or not.

Tin Man
04-20-2009, 14:20
Don't plan to do either:
1) I never smoke pot, very rarely drink any alcohol
2) I don't plan to be in Damascus during Trail Days anytime soon, probably ever.

But the hypocrisy and double standard of both the laws and the attitudes being expressed here is blatantly obvious. Injustice is injustice, whether condoned by the law or not.

then write a lawmaker. whining here is pointless.

the goat
04-20-2009, 14:20

well said.

Ender
04-20-2009, 14:22
Weird. So in Virginia I can get hammered on home made beer or wine, but liquor is a no-no? :-?

Actually, that's true for every state... distilling your own liquor without a liscense (shine) is illegal in every state. breaking your own beer and wine is legal in every state (limits do apply to how much you are allowed to brew before you need a liscense).

The distinction is in the distilling... and for good reason. Imporperly distilled alcohol can literally blind you.

Lyle
04-20-2009, 14:23
then write a lawmaker. whining here is pointless.

It's called a discussion, you know, an exchange of ideas. Things can and should be discussed outside of actually writing legislation. Congress does enough of that writing and passing laws without discussing or reading them.

Ender
04-20-2009, 14:23
*brewing*, not *breaking*

Two Speed
04-20-2009, 14:24
Wild & crazy thought: how about taking the OP as a word to the wise and move on?

Yeah, I know. That option's waaaaay out there. I feel bad for bringing it up.

No. Really. I feel awful. :cool:

Tin Man
04-20-2009, 14:25
It's called a discussion, you know, an exchange of ideas. Things can and should be discussed outside of actually writing legislation. Congress does enough of that writing and passing laws without discussing or reading them.

still pointless, but carry on :)

Tin Man
04-20-2009, 14:26
Wild & crazy thought: how about taking the OP as a word to the wise and move on?

Yeah, I know. That option's waaaaay out there. I feel bad for bringing it up.

No. Really. I feel awful. :cool:

you should feel awful. i wanna throw up myself. :)

vamelungeon
04-20-2009, 14:27

You're wrong. Virginia has a "first time offender" law for pot. Small amount and first offense there's basically no penalty, and the same is not true for moonshine. Possession of small amounts in Va. is a misdemeanor.

I can't believe the amount of misinformation in this thread, BTW.

Two Speed
04-20-2009, 14:27
you should feel awful. i wanna throw up myself. :)You too, huh? Maybe we should get in group therapy or something. I mean, really, we expect that someone would take the OP as a word to the wise and leave it at that?

We expect way too much and should get help with that, shouldn't we?

vamelungeon
04-20-2009, 14:32
Weird. So in Virginia I can get hammered on home made beer or wine, but liquor is a no-no? :-?

I can think of a real easy way to screw that up, but it's technically illegal so I'll just say that with a little thought that regulation would be easy enough to skirt, just got to be slightly smarter than a bowling ball and it's no problem.
Not just in Virginia, that's a Federal law. The difference is DISTILLATION. You have to have a license to distill anything in the US. Anyone can brew their own beer or wine, but if you sell it you have to have a license also.

It's also illegal in Virginia to be intoxicated in public, no matter what the source of the intoxication, whether it's beer, wine, liquor, marijuana, pills, etc.

Lyle
04-20-2009, 14:32
You too, huh? Maybe we should get in group therapy or something. I mean, really, we expect that someone would take the OP as a word to the wise and leave it at that?

We expect way too much and should get help with that, shouldn't we?

Well if a discussion is so annoying, stop reading and commenting. You got the warning in the first post, so leave it at that and move on. Others having a discussion of the situation in no way detracts from your ability to glean the info that the original poster wanted to distribute.

Quite simple actually.

Lyle
04-20-2009, 14:35
You're wrong. Virginia has a "first time offender" law for pot. Small amount and first offense there's basically no penalty, and the same is not true for moonshine. Possession of small amounts in Va. is a misdemeanor.

I can't believe the amount of misinformation in this thread, BTW.

Wasn't aware of that. Good for Virginia, a step in the right direction. I would bet however, that their prisons are still filled by mostly small-time drug crimes, at least that is the national trend.

Lyle
04-20-2009, 14:38
I'm done - time to get to work.

Two Speed
04-20-2009, 14:50
Well if a discussion is so annoying, stop reading and commenting. You got the warning in the first post, so leave it at that and move on. Others having a discussion of the situation in no way detracts from your ability to glean the info that the original poster wanted to distribute.

Quite simple actually.Oh no, I feel bad. Really.

TOW
04-20-2009, 15:05

geek
they will not be overlooking the shiners either, if it is illegal they are going after it........

leeki pole
04-20-2009, 15:10
So all the legal experts here agree.....moonshine is illegal. Well good, I'm glad we got that cleared up. I thought the only uses for mason jars were jams, jellies, relish, pickles and.........hmmmm. Now I know the truth. Thank you.

TOW
04-20-2009, 15:13
So all the legal experts here agree.....moonshine is illegal. Well good, I'm glad we got that cleared up. I thought the only uses for mason jars were jams, jellies, relish, pickles and.........hmmmm. Now I know the truth. Thank you.
juyst ask anytime you need to know pal........

Dances with Mice
04-20-2009, 15:40
they will not be overlooking the shiners either, Good, 'cause those little red fez hat things really are kinda creepy... Oh, wait.

I thought you said "Shriners". My bad.

dmax
04-20-2009, 16:03
I wonder how they decide if its shine or wine? My friend and I make wine that sometimes comes out stronger than some shine.
I like some good shine once in a while. I also would like to see it regulated so a person could buy some legally. That stuff if not made right could blind you. If people are using lead pipes, that'll hurt you too. There's alot of varibles that make this stuff dangerous. Just don't go out and buy shine from someone you don't know. It could hurt ya.
I guess I'll be leaving the shine at home this year. I was hoping to bring some up for a few friends to have a swig off of the ole jar. Oh well, more apple pie shine for me.:D

True story: I swore off shine about 4 weeks ago. Haven't had a drop since.

The Weasel
04-20-2009, 16:10
the police are bustin' shiners too. our police force is damn good

Somewhat like the joke about the monkey that was run over by the 18 wheeler, it's not so much that the force is any good, but that, after all the excitement of the last couple of years - arrests, firings, quits - there is anyone there at all!

TW

sloopjonboswell
04-20-2009, 16:11
what about the traditional new orleans style 'go cups' inside tent city? beer in a cup?

OldStormcrow
04-20-2009, 16:33
http://www.rspbliverpool.org.uk/Abobby.JPGI smoked pot once....it made me want to rape and kill!

CaseyB
04-20-2009, 18:13
I sure hope people still feel welcome here, Trail Days & otherwise.

Busting blatant or annoying lawbreakers= good

Turning over every rock in tent city looking for 1/4 bags= charter a bus to Abingdon, maybe two.

Lone Wolf
04-20-2009, 18:29
in honor or 420 and Trail Daze
http://allsp.com/l.php?id=e127

Alligator
04-20-2009, 19:44
Public service announcement delivered.