PDA

View Full Version : resupply near old 4 pines hostel

toenail
04-20-2009, 15:04
hi all, toenail here. my wife and i are section hiking from pearisburg to daleville, virginia the middle of may. 90 miles in 9 days.a good test for us, fewer miles per day, more days. i know the 4 pines hostle is no longer open, is there a grocery store where we can re-supply. our map shows both a hostel and a store. any info would be appreciated.

tenbeer
04-20-2009, 15:39
I am not aware of 4 pines hostel. Where was the location. i am looking at the 09 AT data book and your first resupply will be at mile 66.5 in the central Va. section. I am local and the store that is there, is open and will have every thing there you need to resupply. The Homeplace restaurant is there as well. This is a well documented hot spot on the AT. Ayce down home food. When you get to rt 624 go left on the road 500 yards. You will intersect with route 311 go left 500 yards and you will be at the store. There is a possible resupply on RT 42, but you will have to hitch to Newport, about 10 miles. There is a new hostel opening on rt 42 about the time you will be coming thru. Its called Appalachain Dreams, and will be run by a former thru hiker by the name of Mack Spainhour. Have a great hike.

Jeff
04-20-2009, 15:41
Yes, a small country store sells gas and some groceries near the old 4 Pines road. Northbound, turn left 0.3 miles at VA624. Back on the AT six miles further north at Rt311 turn left 1.0 mile to another small grocery store. This one is further off trail....but really close to the Homeplace Restaurant!!!!

tenbeer
04-20-2009, 15:54
Yes, a small country store sells gas and some groceries near the old 4 Pines road. Northbound, turn left 0.3 miles at VA624. Back on the AT six miles further north at Rt311 turn left 1.0 mile to another small grocery store. This one is further off trail....but really close to the Homeplace Restaurant!!!!
Hello Jeff, I don't know how long it has been since you have come through this area. They have torn down the original country store at the 624 location and replaced it with a modern much larger store. Where was the 4 pines hostel. I know their used to be a B&B years ago called cross trails on Blacksburg road.

Blissful
04-20-2009, 16:06
Great section btw - between Catawba and Daleville. Completely rerouted after Lambert Meadow, courtesy of the Odd Couple, and it is a lot nicer. I just did it last week.

tenbeer
04-20-2009, 16:15
Great section btw - between Catawba and Daleville. Completely rerouted after Lambert Meadow, courtesy of the Odd Couple, and it is a lot nicer. I just did it last week.
Hey Blissful, I was on the trail in this area yesterday. My 6 year old son and I started at 311 and stayed at Catawba Mtn shelter, ( his first overnight it was awesome) the next morning we hiked to the knob and then back to the car. I have not been by Lamberts Meadow in a couple of years. Who are the odd couple and what is the reason for the relocate. I remember this shelter being on a ridge just past scorched earth, and a relocate would be quite difficult. Anyway glad the relocate is an improvement, I will hike it soon. Thanks for the info.

Jayboflavin04
04-20-2009, 16:21
Tenbeer....Glad you and your son had a great hike. Give him a high 5 for his first night out. Tell him to keep puttin one foot in front of the other!

tenbeer
04-20-2009, 16:29
Tenbeer....Glad you and your son had a great hike. Give him a high 5 for his first night out. Tell him to keep puttin one foot in front of the other!
Thanks, and he even slept through the whole night, his first night. Of course I hardly slept a wink. Ahhhh the innocense of youth

Bronk
04-21-2009, 01:24
The 4 Pines hostel was at the road crossing right after dragon's tooth.

toenail
04-21-2009, 18:50
awesome info! i love whiteblaze. nothing beats first hand knowledge. i dug up the 4 pines, on va 624, from the whiteblaze hostel listing. But it's listed between fort royal terrapin and bear den rocks hostels. it may be further north. the homeplace sounds great. after 6 days, we'll look like two lions taking down a wildebeest! i'll contact mack @ appalachian dreams, hopefully it's not too far off the trail.thanks again everyone. toenail

Blissful
04-21-2009, 18:53
Hey Blissful, I was on the trail in this area yesterday. My 6 year old son and I started at 311 and stayed at Catawba Mtn shelter, ( his first overnight it was awesome) the next morning we hiked to the knob and then back to the car. I have not been by Lamberts Meadow in a couple of years. Who are the odd couple and what is the reason for the relocate. I remember this shelter being on a ridge just past scorched earth, and a relocate would be quite difficult. Anyway glad the relocate is an improvement, I will hike it soon. Thanks for the info.

Glad you had a good time!

He relocated a good portion of the trail in the area because of two very steep descents NOBO that was causing erosion, and some rocky areas. The shelter area is the same, just the trail approach, esp SOBO, is different.

McKeever
04-21-2009, 19:07
There is a new hostel opening on rt 42 about the time you will be coming thru. Its called Appalachian Dreams, and will be run by a former thru hiker by the name of Mack Spainhour. Have a great hike.

As mentioned in another thread, Mack and Labrat's hostel is off of RT 42 in Bland County at either the 610 AT road crossing and the RT 42 crossing at the O'Lystery pavilion, not even in the same county as the RT 42 crossing out of Pearisburg. Take note that the hostel is not at RT 42 near Newport, but is in Bland County.

I've been to the not yet open hostel and it's about 2.5 miles from either 610 crossing or the O'Lystery pavilion just to the driveway, then it's at least another 1500' climb over another mile up a gravel road to the hostel. It's going to be a long road walk and then massive climb up to the hostel so it's looks like it's really more for cell phone callers than those hiking by.