PDA

View Full Version : Feel Good story from the AT last weekend

DaleTr
04-20-2009, 19:13
Wanted to share a story from last Friday night on the AT. I witnessed an awesome act from a Gossamer (I have no affiliation) employee. His name was Paul. Paul mentioned he worked at Gossamar and that his boss' name was Grant so I will copy/paste the note I sent Grant today.
"This email is intended for Grant. Grant, I just wanted to comment on an employee of yours I met on the trail last weekend on the AT (Three Ridges Wilderness),Paul (Rainlocus). What a remarkable man.
My g/f and I had just completed a hard day of backpacking. My first official backpacking trip and stupidly carried 35 lbs for the weekend. We had just reached the Harper shelter legs cramping, knees swollen, etc. Couldnt walk another mile for $1,000.00. Saw a father and son enter the camping area. Briefly spoke as they croosed the creek and set up camp. As g/f and I cooked dinner we heard a loud noise (she remembers thinking it was fireworks) ( I remember Dad calling to son something to the effect of "Look out"). A widowmaker old tree probably 28-36" diameter was falling directly between son/dad. Son was sitting about 5' to the right of his tent on edge of rocky cliff. I thought the tree had killed the boy as it hit him knocking him off the rocks. Dad ( a navy soldier just returning from I cant remember if it was Iraq or Afghanistan) went into action. Saw the mangled foot along with ugly gash on top. Within 20 minutes foot was field dressed and splinted as best could be in an inflatable air mattress. No cell coverage. 2.6 miles high above the nearest road and darkness quickly approaching,he had to come off the mountain that night.
I grabbed a headlamp, loaded water/extra jackets for the descent. As dad had carried son (approx 12 yrs of age and 80 lbs) on his shoulder approx 1/3 mile here pops Paul over the mountain meeting us head on. He quickly announced he was a previous EMT, looked at the injury and announced he would help get the young man to the bottom of mountain. Leaving his backpack and all gear on the trail came with us. Dad and Paul alternated carrying the young man. On a steep corner as dad carried son he slipped hurting Dads leg. Dad didnt say a word or complain but Paul knew dad was hurt. Paul probably carried Brendan probably 70% of the way down the mountain.
Learning that Paul had already done a 25 mile day prior to his help just plain amazed me. Paul ulimately did a 30.2 ,mile day. Had a great talk w Paul as we ascended the mountain later that night. What a great guy. You have one hell of an employee. I am soon to be in the market for a 2 man tent and believe you/me it will be a Gossamer. Dale Trayner 757-971-0669
P.S. ankle was not broken. All 5 toes on right foot broken with the big toe broken in many places. large gash on top will heal with scar only probably.

daddytwosticks
04-20-2009, 19:17
Wow! Way to go...:)

JTCruiser
04-20-2009, 19:18
Great story, thanks for posting it. Great job of letting his employer know about it too.

Chaco Taco
04-20-2009, 21:58
Nice! True Trailangel!!!:clap:clap:clap

peanuts
04-20-2009, 22:04
indeed a true trailangel!!kludos!

freefall
04-21-2009, 01:52
Thanks for sharing! Always great to hear stories of hikers banding together in times of need.

zoidfu
04-21-2009, 02:06
Excellence

Engine
04-21-2009, 05:02
Thanks for that, it was refreshing.

Hikes in Rain
04-21-2009, 05:52
True heroes are the folks that just pitch in without a thought for themselves, and far too often don't get recognized for their heroism. Which is generally fine with them, since in their minds, they did nothing out of the ordinary. Great story.

Valentine
04-21-2009, 08:47
Thank you for posting that. Often times good deeds go unpublished.

JaxHiker
04-21-2009, 08:49
Awesome story. Sort of makes you think there's still hope for us amidst all the bad news we get bombarded with.

Worldwide
04-21-2009, 09:34
Awesome story glad the kid got the help he needed and wasn't killed. It makes sense to look up before you set up camp. This situation may have been avoided if they did that.

SawnieRobertson
04-21-2009, 19:57
This underscores the value of EMT-B Wilderness training.--Kinnickinic

johnnybgood
04-21-2009, 20:26
Great story ! This should renew our faith in the goodness of humanity.:clap:clap

Nicksaari
04-21-2009, 23:20
there were angels in that campsite. that branch could have landed on his head...
excellent story. we stick together always

DC2.2GSR
04-22-2009, 02:02
wow, great story. it's awesome to hear of acts like this, but even better to see someone take the time to send a thank you email.

WILLIAM HAYES
04-22-2009, 17:29
paul deserves a hearty thank you from all who hike the trail if i ever meet him i want to shake his hand for being the kind of person he is
hillbilly