PDA

View Full Version : 3-4 day hike suggestions

daner24
04-20-2009, 21:16
My 3 sons, ages 17-21, have agreed to go on a "man trip" with dad. We have decided to go on a 3-4 day hike, but the boys want something challenging. I want a trip they will remember and am looking for a hike that is a combination of adveture and majestic. A friend suggested the Shenandoah area of the AT, but I am open to anything within a days drive of Illinois. I am looking for advice from experienced hikers, and I thank you in advance!

Jo-To
04-20-2009, 21:35
SNP has alot to offer. Everything from nice overlooks,waterfalls,to some great wildlife. I'll be doing my section hike this june from around Rockfish Gap to Front Royal. A little more then the 3-4 days your looking for,but you get the idea.

Blissful
04-21-2009, 10:18
Since you are in IL and with hefty teens, you might consider southern VA - Damascus north through Grayson Highlands SP. great place.

Rambler
04-21-2009, 10:36
If you do choose the Shenandoah NP, I suggest looking the Falcon Guide Series on Hiking the Park, or the one on Hiking Virginia.

http://www.trails.com/guidebooks.aspx?publisher=Falcon+Publishing

daner24
04-21-2009, 14:09
Thank you for the input so far, it's very appreciated!

Plodderman
04-21-2009, 15:46
Grayson Highlands is the place to go.

Hikes with a stick
04-21-2009, 16:23
I would recommend Hughes gap to US 19E, by mountain harbor bed and breakfast. I did that section of the AT when I was living in St. Louis, and I think it was about a 12 hour drive. So you should be able to get there in a day.

We spent the night at the B&B, then the next morning they shuttled us to Hughes gap and we hiked back from there. I think we climbed 2000 feet in the first 2 miles, then after that you hit the balds at Carvers Gap. You have some really majestic views there, where you can see the trail a few miles in front of you. That's only about 20 miles, or a 2 day hike.

If you can get the extra travel time, I would recommend going to glacier National Park and hiking the border pass trail, starting at kintla lake. That will be a longer more difficult hike, where you are not necessarily at the top of the food chain. The views out there put everything else to shame...