PDA

View Full Version : Bears at Max Patch

Chaco Taco
04-20-2009, 23:19
Thruhiker got his tent taken by a bear the other night at the emergency spot just past the treeline over Max Patch. Be careful folks!

Mocs123
04-20-2009, 23:24
Did he have his food in his tent? They had major problems with bears there last year, so I guess the bears are back for more easy meals this year.

Bootstrap
04-20-2009, 23:35
Got his tent taken? What exactly happened?

freefall
04-20-2009, 23:46
Bear lost his job and decided to thru-hike and needed equipment.:D

Tennessee Viking
04-21-2009, 00:35
I passed Roaring Fork back in March. And there was a stash of can goods in the shelter.

Then again, the bears know its time for a free dinner when thru season starts.

EverydayJourneyman
04-21-2009, 07:30
A bear stole his tent? Was it made of beef?

Lone Wolf
04-21-2009, 07:43
Thruhiker got his tent taken by a bear the other night at the emergency spot just past the treeline over Max Patch. Be careful folks!

where was the hiker and what the heck is an emergency spot? :rolleyes:

Engine
04-21-2009, 07:48
Maybe he was still in the tent, and that made it an emergency spot. :eek:

Maddog
04-21-2009, 07:59
could you be more vauge?

Two Speed
04-21-2009, 08:24
could you be more vauge?Maybe I can help.

Chaco Taco
04-21-2009, 10:25
where was the hiker and what the heck is an emergency spot? :rolleyes:
Its just past the patch as you walk back in the woods. Its the emergency spot for people that stay up top and need refuge in bad weather. Its right when you get back in the woods from the patch.
Anyway, there was a group there and they made camp on the perimeter of the fire rings in the trees. They were all sitting there hanging out when the dog started barking. They looked over and a bear was up at someones tent. The bear rummaged through it and shreaded it, ruining it. Not sure if the hiker had food in there but I think it was still daylight.

Chaco Taco
04-21-2009, 10:28
could you be more vauge?

Oh you have no idea!:rolleyes:

yaduck9
04-21-2009, 11:57
Bear lost his job and decided to thru-hike and needed equipment.:D

Why didn't he just pick up the "cast offs" left on the trail.

Chaco Taco
04-21-2009, 12:00
Why didn't he just pick up the "cast offs" left on the trail.
I think the bear walked off with it and he gathered what he could and hauled it out to the Max Patch lot. Some 08ers took him to Hot Springs so he could get a new tent.

whiterockjock
04-21-2009, 12:39
Just ONE more reason to use a TARP!!!

Boudin
04-21-2009, 13:12
An emergency spot is the brown spot that is made during an emergency.

sherrill
04-21-2009, 13:50
Just ONE more reason to use a TARP!!!

Well, if he was a hammocker, could he have bear bagged himself?

slow
04-21-2009, 19:50
Some say it was over 400 lbs.

Kirby
04-21-2009, 20:18
There's no camping allowed on the top of the patch, I believe...

Lone Wolf
04-21-2009, 20:28

nope. sleeping on the patch is allowed

johnnybgood
04-21-2009, 20:51
Camping is allowed but fires are prohibited.

Monkeyboy
04-21-2009, 21:32

That's a mighty big tent...........

DAJA
04-21-2009, 21:41
Lone Wolf and the rest of the food bag pillow sleepers should head on up there with their food bags and take a nap, could straighten that bear right out!

Lone Wolf
04-21-2009, 22:06
Lone Wolf and the rest of the food bag pillow sleepers should head on up there with their food bags and take a nap, could straighten that bear right out!

been there done it. how 'bout you? i bet you're a packsniffer

DAJA
04-21-2009, 22:16
been there done it. how 'bout you? i bet you're a packsniffer

No I do my best to avoid contact with bears, so I hang my food... I don't need to be the reason a bear is killed...

take-a-knee
04-21-2009, 22:30
No I do my best to avoid contact with bears, so I hang my food... I don't need to be the reason a bear is killed...

I hang my food also, PCT style. I do however, need to be the reason a bear dies, very badly. I've been the good luck charm on two successful bear hunts, one near Neel Gap and one in Alaska. I haven't dropped the hammer on a bruin yet.

grizzlyadam
04-21-2009, 22:43
I think the bear walked off with it and he gathered what he could and hauled it out to the Max Patch lot. Some 08ers took him to Hot Springs so he could get a new tent.

he couldn't walk the 19ish miles into hot springs from there? lame...

Nicksaari
04-21-2009, 22:45
is a packsniffer someone who is a wanna be hiker, who is enthralled to "sniff" packs of real thru hikers cause thats as close as they'll get to being a thru hiker?

DAJA
04-21-2009, 22:48
i bet you're a packsniffer

I had to look this up to see what it meant... LOL... I like it and will be using it... But if you would like to come up to your neighbor to the north i'd be happy to take you on a walk... Or if my plans work out, i'll be in Ashville area in Sept/Oct if you'd care to join me...

slow
04-21-2009, 22:56
That's a mighty big tent...........

NO, the tent was only 2lb and the bear was well over 400lb...so they say.

Dr O
04-22-2009, 09:00
is a packsniffer someone who is a wanna be hiker, who is enthralled to "sniff" packs of real thru hikers cause thats as close as they'll get to being a thru hiker? Either that or something they use at The Place

Chaco Taco
04-22-2009, 09:07
he couldn't walk the 19ish miles into hot springs from there? lame...

Another "I woulda" person..... now thats lame:rolleyes:

Two Speed
04-22-2009, 09:24
I dunno. That's pretty easy hiking and Deer Park's on the way, so bailing out for a hitch is kinda lame in my book. YMMV.

Chaco Taco
04-22-2009, 09:28
I dunno. That's pretty easy hiking and Deer Park's on the way, so bailing out for a hitch is kinda lame in my book. YMMV.
Wasnt a hitch. There was someone there doing trailmagic for the hikers and they offered to take him in since they were parked at the bottom. Another random act of kindness lent to hikers. Yes he could have hiked on, but he didnt. Dont be so critical of the guy, a bear took his stuff! Really people, how would you have been in that situation? "Oh I am bada**, I would have hiked on":rolleyes:

Two Speed
04-22-2009, 09:30
Actually I don't know if I would have hiked on. Depends on what was destroyed along with the tent. Still, Max Patch to Hot Springs ain't a tough walk.

DAJA
04-22-2009, 09:32
I'm sure had LW been there, he'd be wearing a bear skin robe right now!

I too would have retreated to regroup and get new gear, then return to fight another day!

Chaco Taco
04-22-2009, 09:33
Actually I don't know if I would have hiked on. Depends on what was destroyed along with the tent. Still, Max Patch to Hot Springs ain't a tough walk.

I do see your point. The hike is nice from there but given the situation? Im just sayin. People saying its lame, a bit much. Give him some slack. His tent just got taken away from a bear!

Lone Wolf
04-22-2009, 09:34
His tent just got taken away from a bear!

who took it away from the bear?

Two Speed
04-22-2009, 09:34
Well, hell, he got his tent back. What's all the whining about? :p

Chaco Taco
04-22-2009, 09:43
who took it away from the bear?

Dont know what happened after that. They just told me that the bear took the tent and they saw it walk away with it

Chaco Taco
04-22-2009, 09:43
Well, hell, he got his tent back. What's all the whining about? :p

:datz:datz:datz

Lone Wolf
04-22-2009, 09:47
Dont know what happened after that. They just told me that the bear took the tent and they saw it walk away with it

yeah but you said his tent was taken from the bear :-?

Chaco Taco
04-22-2009, 09:51
Well Johnny Thunder, in an act of rage, chased the bear, wrestled it down and slapped it on its nose. The bear released the tent and ran away. RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY.

Chaco Taco
04-22-2009, 09:52

Ill have to get more info from Thunder on this part. I think the bear left some of the tent.

Darwin again
04-22-2009, 09:55
There was no tent left. Not a shred.
And the bear weighed more than 4,000 pounds.

traildust
04-22-2009, 10:59
This thread has become unbearable to read.

Chaco Taco
04-22-2009, 11:10
this Thread Has Become Unbearable To Read.

Yaaaaaayooooooooooo

CowHead
04-22-2009, 13:29
If a bear stole my tent there would be a brown spot there also :)

Worldwide
04-22-2009, 18:31
I heard one of the 3 stooges rose from the dead put on a gorilla costume and was out stealing hiking gear

IceAge
04-22-2009, 18:51

Yeah, I heard it was pack of sniffing bears and they ate an entire shelter

Engine
04-22-2009, 19:01
It was this bear, he moved to Max Patch after being relocated by the bear police. Also, get a load of the idiot tourists toward the end of the video...unbelievable. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBnGe9HDGBI

Ox97GaMe
04-23-2009, 01:32
If it was the 08 group that I am thinking of, it is no wonder that the bear was there. I heard that a large group of them was up there all day cooking hot dogs and hamburgers. Im sure the smell of all that cooking was what brought the bear into the area to begin with. And it is highly likely that the hiker had been near the grill and had food odors in clothing that may have been left in the tent.

In any case.... if the Forest Service gets word about this bear, it is a dead bear. They dont want 'problem' bears in areas where large numbers of day hikers would be. That is sad for the bear.

MOWGLI
04-23-2009, 08:02
If it was the 08 group that I am thinking of, it is no wonder that the bear was there. I heard that a large group of them was up there all day cooking hot dogs and hamburgers. Im sure the smell of all that cooking was what brought the bear into the area to begin with. And it is highly likely that the hiker had been near the grill and had food odors in clothing that may have been left in the tent.

In any case.... if the Forest Service gets word about this bear, it is a dead bear. They dont want 'problem' bears in areas where large numbers of day hikers would be. That is sad for the bear.

Ox, the right of the '08 Trail Magic purveyors to have a party in the woods outweighs the bear's right to live. Didn't you know that?

This trail magic/feed nonsense is pathetic.

Lone Wolf
04-23-2009, 08:23

now ox, don't you spend a weekend every year cooking up a storm about 4 miles south of max patch? i think it's this weekend? :)

Rockhound
04-23-2009, 10:41
Over the past 3 years the "Uberbear" has destroyed 3 tents, stolen 1 pack and pilfered countless food bags that I'm aware of. Yes there is bear activity between Standing Bear and Walnut Mt. shelter. My suggestion, bring a camera, hang your food PROPERLY and keep an eye on your gear at all times.

Two Speed
04-23-2009, 10:53
Whereas my suggestion would be to plan on cleaning out the food bag the last night before Hot Springs, and taking a position where you can watch the fun.

Then make like a hikin' fool for Hot Springs and the Smokey Mtn Diner. :)

Monkeyboy
04-23-2009, 13:15
NO, the tent was only 2lb and the bear was well over 400lb...so they say.

Why would such a big bear want such a little tent........he wouldn't fit in it.

Monkeyboy
04-23-2009, 13:17

So now we've gone from 400 pounds to 4,000 pounds.

Now he definately can't fit in a two pound tent.

Two Speed
04-23-2009, 14:00
Maybe the 2 lb tent fit just fine inside the 4,000 lb bear?

Monkeyboy
04-23-2009, 15:11
It did........bearly.

Two Speed
04-23-2009, 15:14
After which I'm sure the bear was content.

Well, let's see: 61 posts and this one has degenerated into a bad pun contest. Yup, I'm proud to part of that. :sun

Dr O
04-23-2009, 15:36

Well, let's see: 61 posts and this one has degenerated into a bad pun contest. Yup, I'm proud to part of that. :sun

a tents situation all around.

Monkeyboy
04-23-2009, 15:44

Con tent means without tent.

So I guess he would be "ala tent"

Engine
04-23-2009, 16:08

I have been content in my tent, but according to the above interpretation that isn't possible. I'm so confused. :D

1azarus
04-23-2009, 16:46

actually, con means with, as in con carne. sin means without. how about some bear shish kabob?

Lugnut
04-23-2009, 17:11

If it was a spanish bear it would be con tent.

prain4u
04-23-2009, 20:41
Would his noodles be cooked "al dente" or "al tente"?

Powder day
04-23-2009, 21:23
Where exactly is Max Patch?

Engine
04-23-2009, 21:25
Where exactly is Max Patch?

Follow the bear tracks north of GSMNP for a day...

gonewalkabout
04-23-2009, 22:28
I met a hiker at Uncle Johnnys that had his food stolen just below (south) Max Patch. He admited only hanging it six feet off the ground. I also here all too many hikers saying that they sleep with their food. People likw tha create problem bears. Another hiker Zen Master said a bear at the creek by the forest road approched him but ran off after he banged his hiking poles together.

mbanja
04-23-2009, 22:54
The fridge sized lumbering oaf and his fat furry companion ran me off Max Patch just after sunset last fall. I spotted them hanging out where two guys had a picnic earlier - go figure... I cut my TARP off the pole and stuffed everything in my sleeping bag. Lost my best stuff sack in the mix and looked for it for an hour the next morning. Walked the half mile to the emergency spot where a few folks were camping with their loud protective black lab. Good reason to have a dog I guess! I was looking over my shoulder the whole time and just amazed at how nonchalant the bears were over the idea of following me. Saw another one the next day at Walnut Mtn. shelter but it ran. Kept going to Hot Springs. Bears are fun with company... a bit unnerving when alone...

Madison County Owl
04-23-2009, 23:12
sleeping on top of Max patch is allowed just not always a good suggestion especially when wind speeds exceed 50MPH
I have seen wind at 100 + on top on the usgs web site
Most bear problems are from poor managment of food bags and silly people thinking the bear won't come by to inspect.
Both Roaring fork shelter and Walnut shelter have bear cables runing from one tree to another in plain sight and easy to use
hang 'em High and out of the wAY

shwn354
04-23-2009, 23:53
that's intents

Lone Wolf
04-24-2009, 02:02
I also here all too many hikers saying that they sleep with their food. People likw tha create problem bears.

come again?

kanga
04-24-2009, 07:55
I also here all too many hikers saying that they sleep with their food. People likw tha create problem bears.
bull****.

(The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.)

Gray Blazer
04-24-2009, 07:58
I had never had food or chewing gum in my tent (this was several years ago) and a bear tried to come in one time. Bears associate people with food.

I since have slept with everything in my tent and no problems so far.

Mercy
04-24-2009, 10:49
Met a hiker a few days ago, the morning after his tent/sleeping bag were shredded by a bear at Walnut Mtn. shelter. He said he'd taken his food bag and gone to the shelter to cook, and when he returned to his tent about 930 the bear had shredded his tent/sleeping bag.

OK, now chime in and tell him he'd stayed up too late...

Ox97GaMe
04-24-2009, 11:25
I didnt say they couldnt feed up there. Was just saying that all that cooking in bear country is likely what drew the bear there to begin with. If hikers can 'supposedly' smell the cookin from 1-2 miles away, Im sure a bear can smell it from a lot further than that. Maybe the bear saw the postings on WB about the event and decided to drop by for a snack.

Yes, we do a feed near there every year, but when it is, is supposed to be somewhat secretive so the hikers arent breakin their necks tryin to get there. Im laughin at all the hikers that humped into there, thinking they was gonna get fed today and party tomorrow in Hot Springs. And the hikers that shuttled to HS and think they are gonna get there Sunday to be fed are WRONG as well. Shame, shame..... you aught to know better than that. The real magic is in the fact that we feed hikers that opted to NOT go into HS. The ones that wake up Sat and Sun morning wondering if they made the wrong choice to stay in the woods. Gonna be a great weekend to convert a few vegetarians. <lol>

EverydayJourneyman
04-24-2009, 11:59
where does bear country start and end on the AT?

kanga
04-24-2009, 12:03
starts at springer and ends at katahdin

JERMM
04-24-2009, 12:16
Met a hiker a few days ago, the morning after his tent/sleeping bag were shredded by a bear at Walnut Mtn. shelter. He said he'd taken his food bag and gone to the shelter to cook, and when he returned to his tent about 930 the bear had shredded his tent/sleeping bag.

OK, now chime in and tell him he'd stayed up too late...

see, this is what happens when you go to a shelter. :eek:

EverydayJourneyman
04-24-2009, 12:19
starts at springer and ends at katahdin

good thing I love bears.

slow
04-24-2009, 18:54
Most people that sleep with food pack.The day will come,when lazy and a gun will show all on the AT....as being DUMB.BEAR WINS.

Lone Wolf
04-24-2009, 21:35
Most people that sleep with food pack.The day will come,when lazy and a gun will show all on the AT....as being DUMB.BEAR WINS.

do you ride the bus or take your lunch to school? :-?

slow
04-24-2009, 23:52
do you ride the bus or take your lunch to school? :-?

Your just a jock that got OLD...but knows more than ALL.

slow
04-25-2009, 00:07
BTW even tried to pay your way to hike in swamps...but no answer?Put some more pics of you and that MV.

You dont even hold a candle on this board to WD OR BJ much the less the AT.The funny part is some do.:-?

Lone Wolf
04-25-2009, 06:01

BTW even tried to pay your way to hike in swamps...but no answer?Put some more pics of you and that MV.

You dont even hold a candle on this board to WD OR BJ much the less the AT.The funny part is some do.:-?

huh and huh? :eek::-?

Engine
04-25-2009, 06:52

WTH are you talking about?

Lugnut
04-25-2009, 08:24
It's Mattys evil twin! :eek:

Bearpaw
04-25-2009, 10:40

Really? How many folks do you know who are walking trails and running again 6 weeks after a quadruple bypass?

It seems your biggest claim to fame is that you really ARE slow.

Egads
04-25-2009, 17:26
Looks like the end of the trail :banana

slow
04-25-2009, 18:03
Really? How many folks do you know who are walking trails and running again 6 weeks after a quadruple bypass?

Plenty of people at that age.Heck my dad at 72 had triple bypass and a stroke whithin a weeks time.He was out walking 18 holes of golf 2 months later.

Chaco Taco
04-25-2009, 18:38
:clap:clap:clap

EverydayJourneyman
04-25-2009, 19:14
Maybe Swine Flu will jump to Bears. That'll help.

Darwin again
04-25-2009, 20:23

Always sunshine and rainbows from you, eh bub?

Lugnut
04-25-2009, 23:03
A couple of these guys must be about 20 years old and have no concept of of what it takes to come back from a 4x bypass. Not that it helped his personality any! :D

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-25-2009, 23:38
He needed me in his camp lol. My nephew wanted to see a Bear south of there either Tricorner or Pecks, not sure which, but anyways, he left a pouch of Tuna in the fire pit, right next to the sign that said WARNING BEARS ARE VERY ACTIVE AT THIS SHELTER. I think when the bear heard me snoring, he figured there was already a Bear eating the tuna, and he sounded bigger and badder than him lol

Bearpaw
04-26-2009, 03:18
Always sunshine and rainbows from you, eh bub?

Trolls don't like sunshine, so why waste it on the likes of slow or you? Maybe you should try evolving some more Darwin.

Two Speed
04-26-2009, 07:18
You hit on the head, brother. Trolls. :cool:

Chaco Taco
04-26-2009, 08:57
http://alesrarus.funkydung.com/images/troll.jpg

slow
04-26-2009, 09:15
Trolls don't like sunshine, so why waste it on the likes of slow or you? Maybe you should try evolving some more Darwin.

Funny.you are backing the number 1 troll.

You sleep with food will just cause problems in the end.

Gray Blazer
04-26-2009, 09:36
I sleep with my food and dog. The only time I had a bear try to come in my tent was when I had no food in it.

Gray Blazer
04-26-2009, 09:40
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/2/bear_sign_on_smarts_mtn-med.jpg

zoidfu
04-26-2009, 10:24

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p306/zoidfu2_bucket/CateatingPopcorn.gif

Darwin again
04-26-2009, 10:38
So can bears get swine flu?
If so, does it make them hungry for tents?

Are we facing a pandemic here?

kanga
04-27-2009, 12:52
i used my food bag for a pillow saturday night but i forgot to bring my gun. dangit all! and now i come back and find out wolf's a friggin jock. i am so disappointed.

Jaybird
04-27-2009, 13:09

Probably had a GREASY BURGER on the inside!:D

See some of ya'll out there May 2-14 hiking Harpers Ferry,WV to Swatara Gap,PA w/ "Jigsaw" & "Model-T"

slow
04-27-2009, 20:28
i used my food bag for a pillow saturday night but i forgot to bring my gun. dangit all! and now i come back and find out wolf's a friggin jock. i am so disappointed.

Smart ...no gun.But as food goes in a tent...well...lets have a trouble bear killed do to lazy hikers.

Lone Wolf
04-27-2009, 20:36
Smart ...no gun.But as food goes in a tent...well...lets have a trouble bear killed do to lazy hikers.

food in the tent is very smart

Gray Blazer
04-27-2009, 20:37
Pass the popcorn, please.

slow
04-27-2009, 21:05
The #1 TROLL ... 10 min to respond.

Kanati
04-27-2009, 21:09
Ever since the damn liberals took over everybody and animals included think every thing in this country is FREE !!!! Well it ain't.

I'm going to carry my sling shot with me back to the trail and teach the thieving bears to earn their own living !!!

LOL :banana

slow
04-27-2009, 21:26
Funny my post time NOW.:-?

Blissful
04-27-2009, 21:34
I know a bear shredding a tent is not funny but this thread sure is...

slow
04-27-2009, 22:17

What is funny is how helpfull you are to all.:sun

Lugnut
04-27-2009, 22:44
Do you ever return to your home planet for visits?

slow
04-27-2009, 23:10
Do you ever return to your home planet for visits?

No,i must not be missing parts.:eek:

sloopjonboswell
04-27-2009, 23:12
i challenge any black bear to attempt keeping me from a thru-hike. especially the ones in the southeast. p###ies.

slow
04-28-2009, 00:04
NO,when you sleep with food you harm all,even on the AT.

IT will be sad one day for all.

Lone Wolf
04-28-2009, 01:16
NO,when you sleep with food you harm all,even on the AT.

IT will be sad one day for all.

don't worry. be happy

Tin Man
04-28-2009, 05:57

wow! I've heard of SLOW days at the office, but this funny thread is really pathetic. ;)

Pirate
04-28-2009, 07:14

There are lighter tents on the market.

kanga
04-28-2009, 07:15
yes, but would it hold a 4000lb bear?

Gray Blazer
04-28-2009, 07:19
I back the #1 troll. (Unless it's me.)

Nearly Normal
04-28-2009, 09:57
Funny my post time NOW.:-?

Funny your post anytime. :rolleyes:

Rockhound
04-28-2009, 12:22
There was a hiker at Standing Bear last night who hiked out in the dark. He got as far as the trail head when he saw a pair of eyes shimmering from his headlamp. Thinking it was a dog that he had just seen at the hostel, he neared it and bent down to pet it only to find he was face to face with a black bear cub. He slowly backed away, returned to Standing Bear and pitched his tent.

wakapak
04-28-2009, 12:46
There was a hiker at Standing Bear last night who hiked out in the dark. He got as far as the trail head when he saw a pair of eyes shimmering from his headlamp. Thinking it was a dog that he had just seen at the hostel, he neared it and bent down to pet it only to find he was face to face with a black bear cub. He slowly backed away, returned to Standing Bear and pitched his tent.

wow!! He probably needed to clean his shorts too!!
All joking aside, it just goes to show they are active in that area, and not just because some people have been doing magic. It is their natural habitat and all of us hikers just have to be a little more cautious...

Ox97GaMe
04-28-2009, 13:05
I wasnt saying that hiker feeds were the cause of all this.

Bears naturally move from the Smokies into the Sundquist National Forest. One of the few places that they can cross the river is near the Waterville exit (near Standing Bear Farms Hostel).

The bear activity that had been originally noted in the area was around Walnut Mtn Shelter. I am assuming this was because hikers were staying there and cooking. The smell of cooking is what probably brought the bear closer to Walnut Shelter. Since hikers are there cooking almost every night during the thru hiker season, the bear would be naturally drawn to that shelter.

The night that this tent incident occurred happens to also coincide with the day that a large group was cooking for an extended period of time at Max Patch. I was saying that the bear might (only speculation) have stayed closer to Walnut Mtn, it current normal habitat area, if the cook out wasnt occurring a few miles away. Im saying that the bear 'could' have smelled the food cooking and walked to the general area to investigate.

Im all for trail magic. Im just saying that there are inherant risks with doing a large feed. This past weekend, we had a lot of hikers that didnt want to be sleeping too close to our cooking set up. That was fine with me. I also would not have been too suprised had the Max Patch bear come by for a visit while we were there. We took extra precautions to minimize the likelihood that he would be hanging around after dark.

Chaco Taco
04-28-2009, 15:22
I wasnt saying that hiker feeds were the cause of all this.

Bears naturally move from the Smokies into the Sundquist National Forest. One of the few places that they can cross the river is near the Waterville exit (near Standing Bear Farms Hostel).

The bear activity that had been originally noted in the area was around Walnut Mtn Shelter. I am assuming this was because hikers were staying there and cooking. The smell of cooking is what probably brought the bear closer to Walnut Shelter. Since hikers are there cooking almost every night during the thru hiker season, the bear would be naturally drawn to that shelter.

The night that this tent incident occurred happens to also coincide with the day that a large group was cooking for an extended period of time at Max Patch. I was saying that the bear might (only speculation) have stayed closer to Walnut Mtn, it current normal habitat area, if the cook out wasnt occurring a few miles away. Im saying that the bear 'could' have smelled the food cooking and walked to the general area to investigate.

Im all for trail magic. Im just saying that there are inherant risks with doing a large feed. This past weekend, we had a lot of hikers that didnt want to be sleeping too close to our cooking set up. That was fine with me. I also would not have been too suprised had the Max Patch bear come by for a visit while we were there. We took extra precautions to minimize the likelihood that he would be hanging around after dark.

Stun Gun??????;)

Madison County Owl
04-29-2009, 11:15
I didnt say they couldnt feed up there. Was just saying that all that cooking in bear country is likely what drew the bear there to begin with. If hikers can 'supposedly' smell the cookin from 1-2 miles away, Im sure a bear can smell it from a lot further than that. Maybe the bear saw the postings on WB about the event and decided to drop by for a snack.

Yes, we do a feed near there every year, but when it is, is supposed to be somewhat secretive so the hikers arent breakin their necks tryin to get there. Im laughin at all the hikers that humped into there, thinking they was gonna get fed today and party tomorrow in Hot Springs. And the hikers that shuttled to HS and think they are gonna get there Sunday to be fed are WRONG as well. Shame, shame..... you aught to know better than that. The real magic is in the fact that we feed hikers that opted to NOT go into HS. The ones that wake up Sat and Sun morning wondering if they made the wrong choice to stay in the woods. Gonna be a great weekend to convert a few vegetarians. <lol>

Vegetarian is a Cherokee word meaning "POOR Hunter" Vaegan is a Cherokee word for "Pain in the ass to feed"

leeki pole
04-29-2009, 11:32
Need to install catch fences around shelters, like the one that saved Carl Edwards from going into the grandstand at Talledega. But his car only weighed 3,500 pounds at 190 mph. Tough to engineer one to keep a 4,000 pound bear out of a shelter.

bulldog49
04-29-2009, 15:00

Why can't your express yourself in complete sentences? My grandson in the second grade can.

slow
04-29-2009, 18:31
You all may think it's funny now.Let's see when something does go wrong....what all have to say then?It will happen.

The kid with candy...do you think the bear came 10 miles for that no.That was his home due to hikers food in tents and crumbs left over a long time at sites.

Lone Wolf
04-29-2009, 18:34
i luv sleepin' with food :banana

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 18:36
Dont mess with the Wolf while he's eatin. Seen him mangle a chicken!

slow
04-29-2009, 18:43
Well he must be the only god that never went A TO B on the AT after how manny?Sorry not having fun i QUIT.

take-a-knee
04-29-2009, 18:57
Need to install catch fences around shelters, like the one that saved Carl Edwards from going into the grandstand at Talledega. But his car only weighed 3,500 pounds at 190 mph. Tough to engineer one to keep a 4,000 pound bear out of a shelter.

Maybe the shelters need restrictor plates.

Lone Wolf
04-29-2009, 19:23
Well he must be the only god that never went A TO B on the AT after how manny?Sorry not having fun i QUIT.

the F does that mean in english? :-?

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 19:30

oh man, you are bad! I am being totally serious, is english your second language??:-?

slow
04-29-2009, 20:20
oh man, you are bad! I am being totally serious, is english your second language??:-?

No but they did teach CAPS at the start of a sentance.:-?

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 20:23
Hey atleast people understand what Im sayin. :rolleyes:

Tin Man
04-29-2009, 20:26

whats a sentance?

Egads
04-29-2009, 20:26
Slow, even you have to admit that you haven't put two complete sentences together in a single post. Not being critical, but many readers have trouble understanding your posts.

slow
04-29-2009, 20:27
Maybe the shelters need restrictor plates.

Maybe ...they need a BIG TUFF guy like YOU....with a gun and your training.:-?