PDA

View Full Version : Moved from Straight Forward: 18 year old

vonroretz
04-21-2009, 00:17
Alright im 18 and im about to graduate high school in a few weeks. im extreemly dertermined to do this. im a very physically and mentally fit to do this. i run xc and track and lift daily. ec ect you get the point. thing is how much will this all cost i see its about 2,200 miles i just want to know how much people spend on gear food ect

vonroretz
04-21-2009, 00:20
also i forgot to add i would like to run the whole thing to finish coon than the 6 month peroid

Lone Wolf
04-21-2009, 00:23
5000 dollars

vonroretz
04-21-2009, 00:25
is that how much you spent?

medicjimr
04-21-2009, 00:30
From what I have read in other posts around $1500 to $2500 all depends if you are one that likes to hang out a hotels and towns along the way. If you are just going to stop long enouge to resupply they say the lower end can work. You should get more feedback as the thread goes along. I havent hiked the AT and cannot see myself hiking it anytime soon do to family and work .

vonroretz
04-21-2009, 00:32
well the reason i want to do it now is because im joining the military soon so i know once im in the navy i will have no chance of doing it and i would regret not doing it but id rather stay out of hotels as much as possible i would rater sleep in the rain

Tennessee Viking
04-21-2009, 00:43
It really varies person to person. Some people will spend a couple thousands while others spend a bit more. It depends on your gear, look at the foods you want to pack, maildrops, resupplies, hostel/hotels stays, shuttles & travel...and so on.

My only other advice is to plan to bulk up. There are many people who say they are physically fit to do the trail. But after the first couple weeks, you will be start to drop a lot of weight as your body gets used to the daily mileage and trail diet.

vonroretz
04-21-2009, 00:46
well id my goal is not to spend over 1500$

Chenango
04-21-2009, 08:43

It will be very difficult to do this at $1,500.

Lone Wolf
04-21-2009, 08:44

for gear, food and other expenses? you ain't gonna make it far

Maddog
04-21-2009, 08:49
you'll be lucky to get all your gear for $1500! have fun sleeping in the rain!

SlowLightTrek
04-21-2009, 09:07
There are so many shelters (at least every 10 miles or so) that you could just stay in the shelters and skip the tent. Be a good idea to take a lightweight tarp just in case. If you are trail running your eta is problaby 3 months or less. If you raid the hiker boxes for food that might help for food expenses. I wouldn't plan on it though. I think you could get by on about $2,000.

TrippinBTM
04-21-2009, 09:09
I ended up under 3000 dollars, but that didn't include initial gear purchaces, and did include some really dumb spending, including excessive postage to have something overnighted to me, which my parents screwed up twice.

And I didn't really avoid towns, but I'm able to control my spending pretty well. Not being a big drinker helps tons, and I had a group with whom I'd split motel stays.

Jester2000
04-21-2009, 09:21
Why not wait until you're out of the Navy (assuming you're not planning on being a lifer)? You'll still be fit, probably mentally tougher, and you'll have money in your pocket?

Under $1500 is really low-balling it. On the one hand, I knew a homeless guy who was on the trail in 2000, and he had no money. On the other hand, you're not a homeless guy.

The hiking part is cheap. But think about the length of time you'll be out. Eventually you want a roof over your head. You want to go get a pizza with the friends you've met on the trail. Do you really want to avoid every town and experience you could have with the friends you've met, not because you choose to do that, but because you have no money?

I've had friends who had to get off the trail because of lack of funds. It's always a terrible way to go -- when you know you could finish otherwise. I would rethink the need to try it now.

CrumbSnatcher
04-21-2009, 09:25
too many people on whiteblaze who have never hiked the whole trail! giving bad advice on cost of a thru. (1.25 -2.00 a mile. IMO) very,very,few people can hike the trail on 1,500.00 dollors. i know everybody hikes different and depends on whether its a 4 or 6 month hike. but your setting people up for failure. someone like lonewolf tells you about 5 grand. you might want to listen IMO

Wise Old Owl
04-21-2009, 09:29
Food isn't going to be cheap this year, so LW would be right, burning all those calories, your going to need to increase your cash flow.

mrc237
04-21-2009, 09:37
Seen too many young hikers with small budgets get on the trail thinking they'll not party not go to towns and keep to themselves go broke in a month and be home in 5 weeks. But of course there have been plenty that have made it . IMO the single most important item one should have for a thru-hike is plenty of cash!

CrumbSnatcher
04-21-2009, 09:45
Seen too many young hikers with small budgets get on the trail thinking they'll not party not go to towns and keep to themselves go broke in a month and be home in 5 weeks. But of course there have been plenty that have made it . IMO the single most important item one should have for a thru-hike is plenty of cash!
exactly, the prices i listed 1.25 -2.00 a mile is from 5-6 years ago. i bet food prices will be up quite a bit. good luck on your hike!

JAK
04-21-2009, 09:55
Alright im 18 and im about to graduate high school in a few weeks. im extreemly dertermined to do this. im a very physically and mentally fit to do this. i run xc and track and lift daily. ec ect you get the point. thing is how much will this all cost i see its about 2,200 miles i just want to know how much people spend on gear food ectLone Wolf knows how much most people spend and I don't because I have never done the AT. However, I think someone as young as yourself and who is physically active and mentally disciplined and doing it as more of a physical and mental endeavour than a social vacation can do it for much less. That has to be part of the challenge though.

Still, alot of young fit guys that do it for those reasons still spend $3000 or more doing it.
Kirby was about your age and did it for all those reasons and you might check with him how much he spent but it might have been that much.

Best to listen to Lone Wolf, but then see if you can prove him wrong.
Do that by doing it though, not by talking about it as I do. ;)

I would suggest the best way to prepare and to prove to yourself that you can do it is to start living and eating know the way you would intend to live and eat on the trail. Stay physically active. Eat healthy trail food purchased on foot from grocry stores. Avoid fast foot and junk food and movies. Maybe even wear the clothes you would hike in, and launder them my hand. Have fun with it and learn as you go. Good way to save up for your trip also. Cheers.

Prove Lone Wolf wrong. It would make him proud. He's on your side.

JAK
04-21-2009, 09:58
you'll be lucky to get all your gear for $1500! have fun sleeping in the rain!I doubt I could do it for $1500, but what the **** is wrong with sleeping in the rain? :confused:

mrc237
04-21-2009, 10:01
Ever try it?:D

Jaybird
04-21-2009, 10:02
Alright im 18 and im about to graduate high school in a few weeks. im extreemly dertermined to do this. im a very physically and mentally fit to do this. i run xc and track and lift daily. ec ect you get the point. thing is how much will this all cost i see its about 2,200 miles i just want to know how much people spend on gear food ect

the general concensus is the COST of hiking is approx. $2 per mile ($4400)
but ADD a few extra dollars for MISC expenses....so, say approx. $5,000:D

JAK
04-21-2009, 10:03
well id my goal is not to spend over 1500$Nothing wrong with seeing how far you can get on $1500. Very worthy goal. 1000 miles would be good. 2000 would be better but 1000 would be good. Even 500 miles on $1500 wouldn't be a wasted effort. 1 mile would be farther than I have gotten on the AT.

Start living now though, the way you will live on your trip.
You will save money and develop the discipline and have fun doing it.

JAK
04-21-2009, 10:08
Ever try it?:DWhat? Sleeping in the rain or hiking on $1500? I used to sail, competively, and Very Cheap. Won the Canadian nationals. Twice. Alot of races in the United States and a few in Europe.

I've slept all kinds of uncomfortable places.

JAK
04-21-2009, 10:09
Thank God they didn't have Internet Forums back then. lol

Blissful
04-21-2009, 10:11
There are ways to get your gear without having to spend a lot of money. But to do a thru hike on less than $3K at least (we spent $4K a person) is really tough. Esp when your buds are in town having fun and you have to trudge on because you're low on money. Best to save up for it and then go. It will be much more fun for you.

Lone Wolf
04-21-2009, 10:20
What? Sleeping in the rain or hiking on $1500? I used to sail, competively, and Very Cheap. Won the Canadian nationals. Twice. Alot of races in the United States and a few in Europe.

whoopee doo. and that has absolutely jack **** to do with sleeping in the rain on the AT

yaduck9
04-21-2009, 10:57

So lets say you only get half the cash you "think" you need to do the whole trail, would that stop you from being out there? If you have plans to join the Navy by a certain date, and you are limited by what you think you need to do the whole trail, then just plan on doing half. If you end up with more cash go farther. My suggestion is; don't get too hung up on arbitrary goals. Its better to be out there and doing it then at home hung up on "what could have been".:-?

This might not give you a direct answer to your question, but may give you an idea of what is possible. http://www.trailcast.org/podcasts/trailcast-12-Dec-25-2005.mp3

JAK
04-21-2009, 11:01
whoopee doo. and that has absolutely jack **** to do with sleeping in the rain on the ATrain is rain, jack

JAK
04-21-2009, 11:03
Anyone have a problem with this advice, other than its source?

mrc237
04-21-2009, 11:22
rain is rain, jack

Ain't much mud out there on the seas.

flemdawg1
04-21-2009, 12:32
Anyone have a problem with this advice, other than its source?

Well its about $115/week ($1500/13 weeks). If the young guy could unplug his cable and live on $115 for food, laundry and entertainment, good.

The trail running the whole thing in 3 months is the part I see a problem with. He's talking about running nearly a marathon (23 miles) per day over mountainous terrain for practically 13 weeks straight. If he was Dean Karnazes, he'd have a shot, otherwise...

JAK
04-21-2009, 13:23
Ain't much mud out there on the seas.Plenty of mud where I have hiked and camped.

JAK
04-21-2009, 13:28
Well its about $115/week ($1500/13 weeks). If the young guy could unplug his cable and live on $115 for food, laundry and entertainment, good.good. thanks.

The trail running the whole thing in 3 months is the part I see a problem with. He's talking about running nearly a marathon (23 miles) per day over mountainous terrain for practically 13 weeks straight. If he was Dean Karnazes, he'd have a shot, otherwise...Yeah. That would be tough. He would have to be one tough hombre.

At least his heart and mind are in the right place though. Better than some college aged kid planning on spending $6000 and 6 months on beer and pizza and hotels, which alot of people don't seem to have a problem with. That might be ok for some old fat up like me, but its inspiring to see a young kid with some healthy ideals and aspirations.

earlyriser26
04-21-2009, 13:37
Could it be done for $1,500? Yes, but why? It would be like setting a speed record. I would say $3,000 would be pretty bare bones. If you wanted to sleep in a few hotels, have a beer, fix/replace equip, eat in a resturaunt, $6,000. Nothing wrong with hiking until your money runs out. I'm going hiking this week in VA and it has taken me 35 years just to get 1,100 miles. Patience weedhopper.....:D

JAK
04-21-2009, 13:39
It would be good to see more young people do this sort of thing though.

Why?
Because they are young. Plenty of time to slow down and enjoy it later.

Feral Bill
04-21-2009, 14:44
A serious xc runner is not carrying any extra fat (fuel). You should consider pigging out bigtime for the next few weeks. See articles on cheap gear to bring that cost way down, even at the cost of a heavier pack. Start when you graduate, go as far as you want or can, then stop. Have fun.

emerald
04-21-2009, 15:13
There are many people who say they are physically fit to do the trail. But after the first couple weeks, you will start to drop a lot of weight as your body gets used to the daily mileage and trail diet.

Since the thread starter runs XC, he no doubt long ago shed the weight to which you refer.

Not everyone loses weight. I gained 5 lbs by the time I reached Pearisburg and my weight remained pretty much constant thereafter.

vonroretz
04-21-2009, 16:46
well this is for me and me only my friends are not going top take apart in it my best friend will only slow me down he could run it with me for me its about to complete it physically and mentaly 2 grand is possible 3 is prob where i will top out i dont know if i can use craigs list to get gear and such but i might be able to also e bay them? and thanks guys for all the in put

vonroretz
04-21-2009, 16:50
well im about 150lbs and 6'1 i am planning on eating like a pig before i do it probe 2 weeks before. the only thing im willing to spend major money is shoes, pestecides and medecine so i can stay on the trail the whole time and anything else.

Mother's Finest
04-21-2009, 16:51
I knew a homeless guy who was on the trail in 2000, and he had no money. On the other hand, you're not a homeless guy.

that was funny....

peace
mf

Lone Wolf
04-21-2009, 16:56
well im about 150lbs and 6'1 i am planning on eating like a pig before i do it probe 2 weeks before. the only thing im willing to spend major money is shoes, pestecides and medecine so i can stay on the trail the whole time and anything else.

pesticides? for what? :-?

flemdawg1
04-21-2009, 17:00
well this is for me and me only my friends are not going top take apart in it my best friend will only slow me down he could run it with me for me its about to complete it physically and mentaly 2 grand is possible 3 is prob where i will top out i dont know if i can use craigs list to get gear and such but i might be able to also e bay them? and thanks guys for all the in put

Geez, do they teach English at your school? :eek:

Mother's Finest
04-21-2009, 17:00
i was thinking the same thing about the pesticide....

if you are truly gonna run it---first place to invest is your shoes. whatever you wear for xc, get four pairs.

the real key for you is your pack. you need to have a pack that can handle the load you plan to carry while running. you don't want it to shift around.

good luck

peace
mf

Doctari
04-21-2009, 17:04
2175 trail miles / $1500.00 = just over $0.68 a mile.

2175 trail miles / 3 months = 24.2 MPD assuming no side trips or days off.

Can you live on $16.45 a day at the calorie rate you will be using to do that kind of miles?
6 months = around $8.23 a day.

Likely easily do-able the first few weeks, but as you do the miles, your appetite will go UP (& UP & UP & UP, ETC)!

Practice shopping at mom & pop stores (like what are usually avalable on the AT) & see if you can even match the calories you eat now, at home, not doing 12 - 24 MPD up & down hills, for $8.00. I suspect at least double the calories if doing the 24 MPD. If you can't match 2000 CPD at home, will you be able to maintain the greater amount of cals you will need on the trail?

If doing mail drops, the usual concensis is that raises your overall cost. Can you maintain the food intake with the higher shipping cost? Can you get more calories that way. I don't know, do you?

Just sayin.

Have a great hike whatever you decide!

superman
04-21-2009, 17:07
I doubt I could do it for $1500, but what the **** is wrong with sleeping in the rain? :confused:

I'm going to spend more than that on my next AT hike, just for the caterer.:rolleyes:

DavidNH
04-21-2009, 17:37
do you mean 1500 dollars for the whole trail with no outside financial help??

Not a chance. Not a chance. If you have parents or other family helping you out, then it is a different matter.

Consider:
you need to buy food. You WILL eat in a few restaurants. You may say you won't but really what hiker can resist?

You will have gear to replace. Postage, and phone call expenses.

Forget about hotels, and you may as well forget about hostels except for the real cheap ones (Kincora, Deleware Water Gap).

Do yourself a favor. Wait till you have at least 3000 to spend (even 5000) and hike with a financial cushion. Wouldn't it suck to end the hike in the first 1/2 simply cause you ran out of money? It happens.

David

vonroretz
04-21-2009, 18:52
haha sorry for the english my arms broke :D and thanks for the feedback

Blissful
04-21-2009, 18:57
Well, I like your spirit at least. :)

Get some gear and go have a good time. Better than what a lot of young guys your age are doing...and like us, wasting away on the Internet. he he

I'd also PM Kirby - he might be able to give you some ideas too. He hiked it at 17.

Panzer1
04-21-2009, 19:24
If your short on money, consider just hiking the first half the trail. You could easily hike the first half of the trail for $1500. Hike the other half some other time.

Panzer

vonroretz
04-21-2009, 19:31
If your short on money, consider just hiking the first half the trail. You could easily hike the first half of the trail for $1500. Hike the other half some other time.

Panzer

no offence but i dont half ass:banana

Feral Bill
04-21-2009, 20:35
Now that I think of it, this could work out. According to my crazed running daughter, you can feed a cross country boy on fifty cents a day. ;) They sure look it.

TrippinBTM
04-21-2009, 20:38
Could it be done for $1,500? Yes, but why? It would be like setting a speed record. I would say $3,000 would be pretty bare bones. If you wanted to sleep in a few hotels, have a beer, fix/replace equip, eat in a resturaunt, $6,000.

I just went and checked my AT journal from my thruhike. I did the trail for under $2600, and that's with some pretty sloppy spending. I also think that figure may include the bus fare to Bangor where I picked up a rental car for my group and I to get down to North Carolina. Actually, it may also include my share in the rental car...

I ate in restaurants when ever I felt like it, and was generally not too concerned with "watching my money" too much. I had a few beers (though admittedly very few), stayed in motels (with at least 2 other people with whom to split it, usually 3 others). I was lucky and only needed to buy one pair of replacement boots (the other pair was a hiker-box find :sun). I wasted a considerable amount of money with maildrops and sending stuff home, though you'll probably deal with some of that too, if you change out gear for summer/winter. I do, however, advise against maildrops as a strategy of food resupply. Plenty of food along the way.

Since you're 18, I don't think spending in bars will drain you too much, which is a major plus (lots of people lose a lot of money in bars, where the drinks are overpriced).

Also, here's a link to SGT Rock's page on the $300 challenge; that is, outfitting yourself from scratch with lightweight gear for 300 bucks or less. http://hikinghq.net/300_challenge.html If you already have some gear, you're that far ahead of the game.

vonroretz
04-21-2009, 20:39
hah well im well im looking foward to thiss

Wise Old Owl
04-21-2009, 20:50
Vonroretz,

May I call you a new member? clearly many here who are new & old to WB are NOT taking you seriously, but for those that know and have done it before your $$ are clearly low, unfortunatly some here have poked fun, and I take exception to that.

Hike your own hike and continue to ask questions as we are all here to help.

vonroretz
04-21-2009, 21:02
Vonroretz,

May I call you a new member? clearly many here who are new & old to WB are NOT taking you seriously, but for those that know and have done it before your $$ are clearly low, unfortunatly some here have poked fun, and I take exception to that.

Hike your own hike and continue to ask questions as we are all here to help.

thanks although my arm is broken my cast will be off in about 2 weeks after that i plan to stay in the woods starting 10 days roughly exdending each time to about 35 after that i plan on attempting it. i may be crazy but will it matter if im doin this by my self ?

CrumbSnatcher
04-21-2009, 22:09
how fast are you trying to do the trail? any support along the way or maildrops?

CrumbSnatcher
04-21-2009, 22:12
Well its about $115/week ($1500/13 weeks). If the young guy could unplug his cable and live on $115 for food, laundry and entertainment, good.

The trail running the whole thing in 3 months is the part I see a problem with. He's talking about running nearly a marathon (23 miles) per day over mountainous terrain for practically 13 weeks straight. If he was Dean Karnazes, he'd have a shot, otherwise...
if it can be hiked in 3 months, it can be ran in 3 months?

JAK
04-22-2009, 08:17
Vonroretz,

No doubt you will learn alot during your hike. Hopefully you will learn that you can do it for $1500 and without all that much gear. If you try and do it for $1500 it might cost you 2 or 3. If you try and do it for 3 I think it would cost you more. Stick to your ideals.

You have to learn as you go. You will no doubt make mistakes. Spending more money won't prevent mistakes, and more often than not is a mistake in itself. When it comes to gear, HikingHq is a very good site for ideas on cheap light functional gear. You really don't need that much. If you put together a gear list you will get very good feedback there, and people are not so offended there if you want to do it on the cheap.

p.s. Start practicing now. Its not that hard to live every day the way you would on the trail.

Also, no offence but there is nothing half-assed about hiking half the AT on $1500.

nufsaid
04-22-2009, 08:58

My guess that he lives with his parents and is not paying for food currently. Better he eats well while he can.

JAK
04-22-2009, 09:16
He should eat well on the trail also. Good nutrition isn't expensive.
But yeah, if mom is cooking he should definitely eat what mom is cooking.

But other than that, whatever meals he prepares himself can be what he would eat on the trail, especially when combined with whatever hiking and running he is doing. What I really meant was cutting out any junk food and restaraunt food he might be partaking in, and any other non-essential spending, like movies and stuff. If he is really into trail running and stuff than he should have plenty to keep him focused. Even with the broken arm. Especially with the broken arm because of the challenge it might bring to his training regime. He could also start testing clothing and gear on weekend one nighters. Don't spend too much on gear. Good gear is cheap. Even decent trail runners that match your feet can be found on sale. You can get a 3100ci 20oz pack for $100. Shelter can be very cheap and light. Clothes can be very cheap and light. Sleeping bag is worth spending some thought and money on. It's mostly about learning how to stay reasonably warm and dry and healthy. This is easier if you are young and capable of doing high miles. Learn not to bonk in the cold and wet. Know when to slow down and eat more. Learn as you go.

Stay focused. Keep it cheap.

CrumbSnatcher
04-22-2009, 12:36
it can be done if you want it bad enough! and a little luck wouldn't hurt. with you running you'll have time to dip into the P.O. along the way and resupply. if your parents wanted to get envolved they could send you some fat maildrops and if they pay the postage. your two grand could go quite far. do you plan on any car support, friends in any area of the trail. or carrying your gear all the way. i wasn't trying to be negative with my advice, i was talking about new hikers and avg. thruhike time periods and the extras that tend to happen. alot of good advice given to you on this thread, everyones just trying to help ya, so it will be good times.:)

emerald
04-22-2009, 16:11
i dont half ass:banana

I expect the member who suggested attempting half the AT had in mind for you to complete it with your ass intact.:-?:)

If you were to accept that sage advice, you might consider hiking the 2nd half or Harpers Ferry to Katahdin.:sun

Kirby
04-22-2009, 21:40
Have a blast.

tionesta72
04-22-2009, 22:40
I don't know if you said this before, but are you planning on hiking this summer? Because I considered thru-hikin this summer too but decided to work my ass off this summer (and winter) to raise as much money as possible for next year's hike. That way, I'll literally have nothing to worry about (other than home).

Also, I don't know if this is one of those "young and stupid" things but I am absolutely hell-bent on hiking all 2,175ish miles at once.. not do half now, half later or somethin as my parents suggested..

whatever you do, good luck and enjoy it! :D

CrumbSnatcher
04-22-2009, 23:21
I don't know if you said this before, but are you planning on hiking this summer? Because I considered thru-hikin this summer too but decided to work my ass off this summer (and winter) to raise as much money as possible for next year's hike. That way, I'll literally have nothing to worry about (other than home).

Also, I don't know if this is one of those "young and stupid" things but I am absolutely hell-bent on hiking all 2,175ish miles at once.. not do half now, half later or somethin as my parents suggested..

whatever you do, good luck and enjoy it! :D
your not stupid! and its not just a young thing.

JAK
04-23-2009, 03:23
I say attempt it all, and do it this year. Nothing wrong with being goal oriented. Just saying if you only get half way on $1500 it would still be a great accomplishment. You are bound to make mistakes along the way and maybe enough mistakes or bad luck to be out of money after 1000 miles but it would still be a great experience. Go for it. Why put off mistakes 'til next year that you can make this year. I mean that. Learn early and learn often. Don't be afraid of failure. There is no adventure without risk of failure.

TrippinBTM
04-23-2009, 10:31
Also, I don't know if this is one of those "young and stupid" things but I am absolutely hell-bent on hiking all 2,175ish miles at once.. not do half now, half later or somethin as my parents suggested.

Me too. It was the total distance that was part of the allure. And I wanted to be totally in the AT culture, not some measely section hiker ;)

Lemni Skate
04-23-2009, 15:24
The typical answer used to be a dollar per mile, but every thru-hiker I've ever talked to says that's not feasible anymore without a LOT of CHARITY. Most say that you simply NEED to spend a little more when you get to town. Running it may save you some money, but I'd still not count on under $2000 and that's after buying your gear. I think the $5000 estimate is more like it and that's what I'm figuring for my thru-hike (in which running will be avoided unless I'm being chased by a bear).

JAK
04-23-2009, 15:36
I think a persons NEEDS at 18 shouldn't be the same as a persons NEEDS at 46.

18 year olds should be encouraged to try and do it for under $2000, without charity of course. I don't even think its right to suggest an 18 year old should even spend more than that on a 6 month adventure, or anyone that hasn't finished college yet.

46 year olds like myself, well people should be able to tell me whatever the heck they want I guess.

JAK
04-23-2009, 15:38
There you go. You should spend no more than $100 times your age. How's that? :)

JAK
04-23-2009, 15:41
So an 18 year old should be able to hike the whole thing for $1800.
Myself, $3600, if I'm feeling 10 years younger that is. ;)

clured
04-23-2009, 16:29
Go for it man. I hiked in 2007 when I was 19 between school semesters. It's definitely a different kind of thru-hike, but gawd I had fun. My advice is to steer clear of the idea that you should underestimate the trail ("it's just walking"). Go into the hike expecting it to fookin brutalize you, and you can only be surprised. During a 3 month hike, the prevailing emotions will be exhaustion, lonliness, and a fear of quitting. But always keep in mind that the more difficult the hike is, the more meaningful it will be in the future. A lot of people on WB don't understand the youthful desire for trial-by-fire, and understandably so. But never doubt yourself, and know that you're doing something you will never forget.

prain4u
04-23-2009, 22:08
I have not thru hiked the AT--but I have hiked many miles on various trails over the past 30+ years. I was also a cross country distance runner when I was age 18 (and I had very limited funds). Several points that I wish to raise:

1) Almost ANYTHING is possible.

2) Hike as far as you can get--it never hurts to try.

3) Is there anyone that could loan you the money to finance your hike and then you pay it back after you are in the Navy?

4) I can't possibly imagine running that kind of distance on a rough hiking trail DAILY for three months. Most human bodies would break down or wear out--even if the person was in EXCELLENT shape. It would be like running the Boston Marathon EVERY day for three months. (However, the Boston Marathon is run on a much more level course and the Boston running surface is MUCH smoother than the AT.

5) Folks CAN indeed meet the SGT Rock $300 gear challenge. HOWEVER, if you plan on running the trail at that fast pace, your gear will probably need to be SUPER light and compact. This will likely add to the cost. Obtaining good, light, inexpensive gear would be pretty hard to do--especially in just one month (while attending high school with a broken arm!)

6. Even if you had large amounts of money and an unlimited amount of time to complete a thru hike--planning and outfitting a thru hike in just 5-6 weeks would still be an impressive task. (Especially while trying to finish high school at the same time).

BOTTOM LINE: The chances of you successfully running the entire AT (in just three months) on your extremely low budget---are virtually zero. However, I still say--GO FOR IT! It never hurts to pursue a dream. Enjoy the experience whether you hike just one mile--or complete the entire AT.

fiddlehead
04-23-2009, 22:27
I sort of doubt you have much experience at sleeping in the rain. (because of your age)
If i'm wrong, Sorry! You may be able to do it.
Also, if you run it, and only need money for food, yes, you can do it. (for $1500)
But, keep in mind, it'd be a rare feat. (and there will be times when you really wish you had the money to go for the hotel/hostel cause you really won't feel like sleeping in the rain another night in a row)

Just my 2 cents.
Anyone can do whatever they set out to do (if their mind if strong enough)