PDA

View Full Version : Who's hiking the challenge this year?

Taba
04-21-2009, 02:02
Just wanted to find out who was planning on hiking on the MST this year. If you plan on being out there please let us know by telling us what your plan is. If you have any questions, comments or concerns, we can discuss them in here. If you would like to meet up and hike with me we can discuss that also. Everybody is invited. Let's make this year fun and challenge ourselves.

So, Who is hiking 1 week or 100 miles on the Mountains-to-Sea Trail this year and what section are you doing? Or are you planning a thru-hike?

Taba
04-26-2009, 23:03
Ok, so let's do some numbers here. There are 10,000 hikers who say that they have hiked the entire 2,176 mile Appalachian Trail. I have challenged only 1% of those hikers to walk for only 1 week or 100 miles. That is a simple walk in the park for over 10,000 people. There have been 100 people who viewed this post and nobody is stepping up to accept this challenge. I am a little dissapointed with this. I thought you were all hikers but instead you just talk a good game or type it. Come on!!! This is a good thing I am trying to do here and I am getting no support from you. Instead all you do is tell me how I can't be a professional hiker while you don't hike.

It's only 1 week. What's your excuse?

I know of a few people who are planning thru-hikes and will be starting their section-hikes on the MST this year. Thank you to those poeple for joining the effort. I would like to see more people get involved with helping the MST grow and explode with greatness.

Taba

G. Rabbit
04-26-2009, 23:09
Since you have so politely asked for it, my excuse is I'll be doing a chunk of the AT this year.

Taba
04-26-2009, 23:21
I have been polite. Thank you for noticing. I wish you luck on your journey on the AT this year. However that is not an excuse that is a reason and a good one at that. When you finish the AT maybe we will see you on the MST.

Taba

Lilred
04-26-2009, 23:21
Ya, my time off is spent doing the AT as well. The problem is, the thru hikers are thru hiking, and won't be doing it, and the section hikers, when they get their time to do their section, do their section on the AT, so they won't be doing the MST either. Most of the other hikers have jobs, I'm guessing, and will be working during that time frame. People aren't stepping up because this just isn't high on people's priority lists. I'd love to do the MST some day, but first things first, I need to finish the AT first. After that, I'll probably start sectioning the great northern trail. MST is going to have to wait.

Lilred
04-26-2009, 23:23
So many trails, so little time.

Taba
04-26-2009, 23:38
Understandable. However there is still 8 months until the end of the year. That is just over 30 weeks left of 2009. You can't tell me that 100 people in this country or abroad don't have 1 week of that to hike on the MST. If you are hiking the AT have fun and get that trail done, then come on out and enjoy another adventure on the Mountains-to-Sea Trail.

Taba

Big Dawg
04-27-2009, 16:12
Taba,,, how much of this "challenge" is about selling your MST guide book?

Oh, & seems I missed ya when you came through Greensboro a few weeks ago. Wonder if I didn't get a call-back/meet-up because of previously mentioning I'd have to wait on buying a book from you since funds were tight? Just curious?:-?

In regards to this post, the AT is my primary focus.... but would enjoy some MST outings if it lined up w/ my schedule. I'm quite busy being a daddy, hubby & running my landscape business. So I can't really commit since hiking trips are usually on the fly.

Anyway ,wish you the best! :)

restless
04-27-2009, 16:35
Taba,

Isn't this just rehashing old territory with your earlier post "100 hiker challenge"? I'm begginning to wonder if there isn't some hidden agenda. Me thinks plenty of hikers have made their plans and opinions clear. Those that want to hike the MST, whether thru hike or section hike, will and those that don't won't. My suggestion is that rather than trying so hard to get people out there, jus tgo hike. How much of the MST could you have covered in the amount of time you have spent trying to get others out there with you?
Let it rest brother, let it rest.

Taba
04-27-2009, 17:33
Taba,,, how much of this "challenge" is about selling your MST guide book?

Oh, & seems I missed ya when you came through Greensboro a few weeks ago. Wonder if I didn't get a call-back/meet-up because of previously mentioning I'd have to wait on buying a book from you since funds were tight? Just curious?:-?

In regards to this post, the AT is my primary focus.... but would enjoy some MST outings if it lined up w/ my schedule. I'm quite busy being a daddy, hubby & running my landscape business. So I can't really commit since hiking trips are usually on the fly.

Anyway ,wish you the best! :)

The challenge is about getting people to notice a different path. I really don't care if you buy a book or not. You can hike the trail without the manual if you choose to do that. However, as I found out last year it is not very well marked in some sections and some roads have changed names. Also, you will have a stressful journey if you didn't know where all of your resources are. The Manual I have created is to help relieve all the stress of the unknown for this trail.

I apologize for not calling you when I was in Greensboro. I had to make a tough decision about going farther into North Carolina or to listen to my truck screaming for the help I couldn't afford to give it there. So I made the decision to turn around and try to make it home safe. I will be going through Greensboro again twice on my hike this year. I caught up with as many people as I could with the limited time I had on the road trip.

This post was intended to bring the people together who are actually going to hike the MST this year and to learn more about the adventure that they are getting ready to accomplish.

By the way, I am not making any money on the book. In fact the book sales so far accumulated to $1,456 for 105 books and my expenses added up to $1,459. So I am actually paying out more than I bring in just to give others a chance to experience this great adventure. I do this because I love what I do and want to share it with the world.

Taba

Taba
04-27-2009, 17:37
Taba,

Isn't this just rehashing old territory with your earlier post "100 hiker challenge"? I'm begginning to wonder if there isn't some hidden agenda. Me thinks plenty of hikers have made their plans and opinions clear. Those that want to hike the MST, whether thru hike or section hike, will and those that don't won't. My suggestion is that rather than trying so hard to get people out there, jus tgo hike. How much of the MST could you have covered in the amount of time you have spent trying to get others out there with you?

My plan is to hike from the end of May to November. So my hiking season has not started yet. There is no hidden agenda to my challenge. I am just simply looking for company on a lonely trail.

I find it funny that a man with the name "Restless" is telling me to let it rest.

Taba

puddingboy
04-27-2009, 20:36
Im not hiking it cuz I live in Iowa, but why dont you step down your challenge. Ask people to do a weekend hike of the MST, lots of people have time for a weekend hike.

Taba
04-28-2009, 00:51
Im not hiking it cuz I live in Iowa, but why dont you step down your challenge. Ask people to do a weekend hike of the MST, lots of people have time for a weekend hike.

I encourage everyone to get out and hike on the MST. Whether it be a day hike, weekend, section, or thru-hike. I challenged hikers to 100 miles or 1 week because, it is a challenge. It wouldn't be very challenging if everybody could do it.

I wanted to clarify what I said about my not caring if someone gets the manual. I do care about the manual and I strive to make it the best and most informative book that I can create. I have traveled light-weight for over 20 years to gain the knowledge and experience to be able to help others enjoy what I have enjoyed. You do not need my manual to walk in the woods but it makes it easier.

Here's an idea: If you bought a copy and complete the challenge using the manual. I will refund your money minus the $1.00 that goes to the FMST for the sale of that book.

Why do poeple try to find the negative hidden agenda with everything when someone like myself is honestly trying to help bring more fun into this world?

Taba

Big Dawg
04-28-2009, 08:40
Why do poeple try to find the negative hidden agenda with everything when someone like myself is honestly trying to help bring more fun into this world?

Taba

Maybe it's the way you're going about it Taba. Overall, I have a lot of respect for what you're doing,,, promoting a long trail that runs thru my home state. I guess your devotion to see increased travel on the MST somestimes comes across as "selling" it, which can bring about a negative view.

With that said, I do hope to join you for a short section when you come thru this way on your hike.

When do you hit the trail in May?

Frosty
04-28-2009, 09:05

TabaBecause you aren't trying to bring fun into the world. You are trying to badger people into supporting your agenda (which is getting more people on the MST). If you wanted people to have more fun hiking, you would simply suggest that people just get out and hike. But it isn't about hiking, it is about the MST. Your agenda.

Not saying it isn't a nice trail, but your agenda has been clear from the start. There isn't a problem that I see pursuing an agenda, except that it is dishonest to claim you don't have one.

Consider this: the first time you tell someone something, you are providing information. The second time, you are merely repeating something they already know.

The third, fourth, fifth, etc times you are badgering people. What is your purpose is repeating this so many times? It isn't to let people know. They already know, having heard it several times. At this point you are trying to harangue people into doing something you want them to do.

Fell free to push the MST at people all you want, but don't be surprised when people get tired of being pushed. This is the second thread you started on the same subject. People aren't stupid. They understand what your motive is. Most don't care, but some are just getting tired of the idea that they must answer to you why they are not hiking where you want them to hike:

Come on!!! This is a good thing I am trying to do here and I am getting no support from you.

It's only 1 week. What's your excuse? We don't need to support your agenda, and we don't need a reason why we don't, never mind an excuse.

Go hike where ever you want. Have fun. Take pictures. Write a journal on trail journals. describe your trip here on WB. That will get a lot more people interested than harping at them. Hiker journals and trip reports is how I found out about the Pinhoti and Falling Waters Trails, and many others. Whatever interest I once had about the MST is long gone at this point.

Taba
04-28-2009, 13:44
My apologies for being passionate about this.

Frosty, I am almost offended by you saying that I am dishonest. You are correct about not having to support "my agenda" however as a hiker I would have assumed that you would support anything that brings more people into the woods whether you want to be part of it or not. Maybe with a reply like "Good idea and good luck." I am sorry that you lost interest in such a wonderful journey but I don't have any agenda or a schedule or anything else that conforms to the life of the common person. I found a wonderful adventure and all I was asking is who was planning on hiking any part of it. I know of several people who are going to hike it and those were the people I was looking for with this post. So they have an area to talk about their plans, learn more about the MST and organize time frames where we might be able to catch up and hike together.

Thank you for thinking that I am smart enough to have some sort of hidden agenda with all of this. But the fact is, there is no evil hidden agenda with wanting to share an adventure. What is so evil about getting people to enjoy our culture and join the hiking community? Maybe I do come off strong, I am a strong willed person who likes to acheives goals and the hiking season for this year is coming up fast. I would like to know who is planning on hiking with me and acheiving the same goal. Is that so wrong? If it is then this world is in trouble and I will just stay in the woods. I could be selfish and not try to help you or the trail and enjoy it all for myself but I chose to hike it last year with the intention of helping others navigate a new adventure.

So again:
Is anyone planning on hiking some of the MST this year?
Which section do you plan to hike?
What time of year?
How long do you plan on being out?

Taba

Taba
04-28-2009, 14:06
Maybe it's the way you're going about it Taba. Overall, I have a lot of respect for what you're doing,,, promoting a long trail that runs thru my home state. I guess your devotion to see increased travel on the MST somestimes comes across as "selling" it, which can bring about a negative view.

With that said, I do hope to join you for a short section when you come thru this way on your hike.

When do you hit the trail in May?

Big Dawg,
This thread is for you. I appreciate your input with this. I don't mean to bring a negative view to this trail. Maybe I have been a little aggressive about promoting the MST. But the trail has been in existance for almost 30 years and has only seen 13 finishers. It seems like this is someone's little secret. I learned about it and just want to let others in on the secret.

I would enjoy hiking with you. I am starting my hike around May 20th or so, right after Trail Days and will be in Greensboro area around the middle of July and then somtime in September on my return trip.

Do you have any ideas of where you would like to meet up?

Taba

Gray Blazer
04-28-2009, 14:30
Tell us about the mountain part of it. I'm interested.

In FL we have a lot of 'seas'. I go hiking to get in the mountains.

Taba
04-28-2009, 15:17
Frosty, you have never had a positive thing to say to me or about the MST so please stop replying to these threads and stop trying to destroy a positive thing. I am sorry that your life is so miserable that you feel that you have to puke on everything. You obvisouly have no plans to be supportive and have no plans to be anywhere near North Carolina. Please take your negativity elsewhere. Thank you!
__________________________________________________ _____________________

theinfamousj --- wants to section hike around his school breaks

Easternbox --- also wants to section hike on his school breaks

Marta --- wants to hike the smokies section this year

jrhord6 --- will be attempting a thru-hike this year

Tim Perry --- also told me he was attempting a thru-hike

Scott Wales --- might be joining me in the Greensboro area

and I believe Mumble's has plans to hike some of the MST

These are the people this post is for. I want to discuss the trail with them and others who want to learn about the MST. Let's talk about your plans and see if we can answer any questions that you have about the section you are going to hike.

Taba

Taba
04-28-2009, 15:53
Tell us about the mountain part of it. I'm interested.

In FL we have a lot of 'seas'. I go hiking to get in the mountains.

Gray Blazer,
Thank you for your interest in the MST. I am from Florida also and do love the beach. The mountains on the MST are the highest east of the Mississippi with lush green forests and has some of the greatest views. You will start on top of the highest mountain in Tennessee (Clingman's Dome - 6,643 ft.) and will traverse through several state parks and national forests to climb over Mt. Mitchell (The highest east of the Mississippi and in NC at 6,684 ft.) Being from Florida and living at sea level the altitude might have you stopping more for oxygen breaks. The Blue Ridge Parkway is where the mountain stretch of this trail is. You will criss-cross the parkway for about 365 miles of mountains. Roughly 1/3 of the trail. Sometimes you will be walking on the road at this point in the trails developement but the trail is constantly being rerouted to be more in the woods. The reroutes for the parkway are almost finished and will keep you in the forest. However, the overlooks on the parkway will be some of the most spectacular scenes you could imagine on this side of the US. There will be quite a bit of ridgeline walk and water will be spaced apart in some of these sections. The longest stretch without water is 17 miles with a new hostel, motel, restaurant and a trading post in that section. The people you will encounter here will also be very supportive and will encourage you on your journey. I found North Carolina to be a very friendly and beautiful state that I will probably be spending a lot of time in.

Taba

Big Dawg
04-29-2009, 20:55
Big Dawg,
I would enjoy hiking with you. I am starting my hike around May 20th or so, right after Trail Days and will be in Greensboro area around the middle of July and then somtime in September on my return trip.

Do you have any ideas of where you would like to meet up?

Taba

I'd like to hike trail only,, no/little road walk. Instead of hiking Greensboro (which I can dayhike, since I live so close), I think I'd like to join you for the section in Hanging Rock State Park thru the Sauratown mountains. I've only done a few miles of the MST in Hanging Rock, so would love to piece it all together thru Sauratown to Pilot Mountain.

Honestly, this will only happen if our schedules line up. I run my business by myself, so no one to take over while I leave. You'd need to call me a few days before you reach that section to see if I could get away for a few nights. If that's too much trouble, then I understand. But that's what it'll take based on my client scheduling.

I definately want to get an MST guidebook from you before you leave. I'm currently waiting on an insurance settlement from a dog attack back in January. It put me out of work for a few months & consequently the budget is TIGHT. I'll be in touch in the next week or two to finalize the purchase.

I'll be at Trail Days, maybe I'll see ya there too.

Taba
05-01-2009, 05:43
I want to describe what's in the mountains section a little more. It is a very beautiful trail and somewhat challenging in some sections. There have been recent forest fires that opend some amazing views. The elevation changes can sometimes be rapid but for the most part you are running from ridgeline to ridgeline with the occssional opportunity to summit a few 6,000 footers along the way. The terrain is what you would expect. It follows old forest roads, which can be open and used on occasion on they could be slightly overgrown. Those usually lead to a single track trail deeper into the woods. The wilderness trail will go from being well packed and wide enough for 2 to narrow and slick with sloping angles. It will have challenging blowdowns to negotiate. In some sections the rocks will be loose and you will have to anticipate the roll. There will also be the well maintained trail wide enough to be able to trust your step and look around to see the beauty of the environment. There will be boardwalks and bridges over streams and waterfalls. The trail follows several streams that empty into larger creeks and there will be several fords, in one area there is roughly 17 in a one day hike. I wear Teva sandals so I enjoyed the creek crossings. There is a fording through the Linville River that will be lower wasit high at the deepest and about 120 ft wide. The rocks are not slippery and foot placement is easy. The Linville Gorge will be a place that will have you taking breaks just to take in the view. There are cliffs all over this area that are popular with rock climbers. The wildlife in the mountains is the usual suspects, turkeys, turtles, snakes, and frogs. Oh yeah, there are bear and deer, maybe some elk and probably any other animal you think could be out there. I watched a couple of crawdads duke it out in a stream one time while I was getting water.

The mountains on the Mountains-to-Sea Trail are pretty much the same as the mountains on the Appalachian Trail through North Carolina. They are just one range over.

I hope this gives the image I wanted to express to you. It is hard to describe what you're looking at when you're eyes have a hard time believing what they are seeing. The trail is that amazing.

Taba

Taba
05-01-2009, 05:48
Please forgive my spelling errors it is well past my bedtime but my time is getting more and more limited lately. I am getting things ready for my hike coming up in a few weeks.

Thanks,
Taba

Big Dawg
05-01-2009, 09:08
Now that's what I'm talking about!! Enticing trail description:sun Good stuff!

I forgot the trail runs thru Linville Gorge. Heck, I may have to join for that section too.:D I've been wanting to hike Linville Gorge for yeeeeeears. When's your approximate 1st & 2nd pass thru date for Linville Gorge area?

Later!

Taba
05-07-2009, 02:07
I will be shooting for the 12th of June weekend for the east-bound trip and around the end of October for the west-bound but there is no real plan. I always find myself replanning the plan. So I just wing it. Life seems to go smoother that way for me. I do have a schedule, kind of, and will be focused on my goal. One plan I do have is to have fun.

Walessp
05-14-2009, 23:56
I'll think I may just take the challenge - I've done 25 miles in April along the BRP, about 32 miles in May to date, east of Greensboro, and hope to get close to the Arrowhead Inn this month. I will be vacationing shortly along the OBX to log a few more from south of Salvo to Hatteras (and beyond?)

Outlaw

squirrel bait
05-15-2009, 23:12
Taba, you seem to be the one who could help with the no camping on the beach rules the last 60-70 miles of the MST. Maybe you could talk to them about a permit system. Something akin to what they use in the Smokies, cause the rules, as you know, are very restrictive (read heavily fined) and force you to use commercial sites. Nothing wrong with this but after traversing the state I would hate to think someone would miss out on sleeping on the beach. One of lifes simple pleasures.

Helpful hint. Carry a fishing pole on the last leg of the MST. Buy whatever license you need (instate/5 day out of state) and you will meet every fisherman you walk by.

Ocracoke to Milepost 12, the Sea part of the trail.

Taba
05-20-2009, 17:10
Taba, you seem to be the one who could help with the no camping on the beach rules the last 60-70 miles of the MST. Maybe you could talk to them about a permit system. Something akin to what they use in the Smokies, cause the rules, as you know, are very restrictive (read heavily fined) and force you to use commercial sites. Nothing wrong with this but after traversing the state I would hate to think someone would miss out on sleeping on the beach. One of lifes simple pleasures.

Helpful hint. Carry a fishing pole on the last leg of the MST. Buy whatever license you need (instate/5 day out of state) and you will meet every fisherman you walk by.

Ocracoke to Milepost 12, the Sea part of the trail.

I agree with you on the rule system on the beach. I am planning on trying to get a thru-hikers permit for the areas that you are not allowed to legally camp. I do find it stressful and discouraging to hikers when you put a long distance trail in front of a thru-hiker and tell them that they can't camp anywhere. I camped out under the Frisco Pier boardwalk and around the Bodie Island Lighthouse. Both sites were borderline illegal but you have to do what you have to do. The locals on the Outer Banks are the only reason I got to sleep out there. A lot of them brought me in and I think I even got adopted a couple of times by them. You will have to be creative if you don't want to go to pay sites or to the commercial campgrounds. I am hiking the MST again this year both directions to update the manual and to write it for the other direction so I will also try to work on the camping issue. I do use a lot of churches for water and shelter.

Taba

ShelterLeopard
08-01-2009, 19:08
Taba,

I'd have to say I agree- this same thread has been posted a bunch of times.

Tinker
08-01-2009, 21:50
Hmmmm........let's see......
I'm broke.
I'm in debt.
I have a seasonal job and have to make money while the sun shines.
When I do have any free time I'm working towards completing the AT (or thruhiking the Long Trail).
Thanks for the invitation, though. If I were young, single, debt free, and had a solid job I would consider your offer.