PDA

View Full Version : how much fuel should i carry

fish the banks
04-21-2009, 12:25
i have a whisperlite multi fuel stove how much coleman fuel should i buy when i reach towns on my through hike

Engine
04-21-2009, 12:48
i have a whisperlite multi fuel stove how much coleman fuel should i buy when i reach towns on my through hike

You need to provide much more information before anyone can really give an answer that might be helpful.

1) How many times a day do you cook?

2) How much water will you be heating?

3) Do you simmer meals or use a cozy?

4) How often will you be resupplying?

chrishowe11
04-21-2009, 13:33
i used whisper lights with a big group... with group of 6 we had 3 bottles full. that was cooking in morning and evening, and that lasted us around 4 or 5 days so you think one bottle might last just YOU for that 4 or 5 days. be careful with the whisperlight its got 1 setting HIGH dont burn your food :)

Foyt20
04-21-2009, 16:35
Bout this much.........

The Will
04-21-2009, 18:51
It'd certainly be helpful to know the answers to questions Engine asked to give you a precise answer.

A rough guide:I can cook two meals a day, including some 15-20 minute cook times, and get a solid 5 days out of an 11oz bottle.

Panzer1
04-21-2009, 19:32
Go with a 11 ounce bottle, just fill it up every time you resupply.

Panzer

Ox97GaMe
04-21-2009, 22:57
I agree with Panzer. I have the Whisperlite and that is what I do. When I have hiked out west, I have been able to run for 10 days on a bottle, but that is using it only for dinner. I heat up 24 oz of water, pour 16 oz back in a nalgene to make hot drink, and use the remaining 8 to cook my pasta. I also conserve by turning the stove off 3-4 minutes before the recommended cooking time is completed, and let the dinner finish cooking while it cools down. This method works pretty well for me. But, to each their own. You will need to experiment to see how much fuel you use in a day. If you find yourself getting into towns with more than half a bottle of fuel remaining, then you can consider resupply every other town. It is also easier to purchase fuel from a hostel or outfitter if you fill the bottle rather than guestimate. Most places sell fuel by the ounce.

Maddog
04-25-2009, 04:28
i ALWAYS carry a whole case! you dont want to run out! better safe than sorry! :)

Mishap
05-10-2009, 20:02
Is all stove fuel White Gas? I have a MSR wisperlite and i wasent sure if all those others brands fuel was white gas. Some say Buetan, which isnt i the same thing (right?) and others don't say anything at all...