PDA

View Full Version : Greyhound Hell

TimeSnake
04-21-2009, 14:46
2 day 10 hour trip to complete my second leg of the triple crown, the PCT..

earlyriser26
04-21-2009, 14:53
Back in the early 70's I took the dog from Millonocket to cleveland. 3 whole days.

Feral Bill
04-21-2009, 15:01
I've dogged it across the country several times, 20+ years ago. No harm came to me, although being booted out in Fargo for two hours of bus cleaning in the middle of the night is a pain.

The price was right.

Pony
04-21-2009, 15:06
I tried to take Greyhound from Marion, Va. to Cambridge Ohio last spring. The first bus was 1 1/2 hours late. It took me to Wytheville where I had to wait 6 hours on the next bus only to find out that it was full (despite the fact that I had a ticket). The next bus had to go to the garage because "a semi ran into it". The next bus after that just broke down completely and had to go to the garage. The bus that was on the way to replace it, we were told was involved in a "major collision". After that I went to McD's parking lot and waited til I saw a car with Ohio plates. I was able to catch a ride with a very nice older couple on their way home to Youngstown. About a week later the big news story was about that guy in Canada who decapitated a fellow passenger on a moving Greyhound bus.

All said, I spent about twenty hours at a Greyhound station and about 45 minutes on the bus. Never, ever, ever will I take Greyhound again if I can help it.

Engine
04-21-2009, 15:12
I had a couple buddies who took the bus home during our 10 days of leave between Basic and AIT. They lived in California and spent like 7 of their 10 days traveling from Ft. Benning and back. They were not happy as I recall.

superman
04-21-2009, 15:52
I had a couple buddies who took the bus home during our 10 days of leave between Basic and AIT. They lived in California and spent like 7 of their 10 days traveling from Ft. Benning and back. They were not happy as I recall.

Many years ago when I road that bus they gave a special discount for people with little kids to sit behind my seat. The discount was only valid if they successfully prevented me from sleeping. You may already know that it's agaiinst the rules to throw kids off busses while the bus is still in motion. Also their parents seem to get all huffy about it. Orville and Wilber invented the plane... just so they wouldn't have to ride a bus.:)

Engine
04-21-2009, 16:00
Many years ago when I road that bus they gave a special discount for people with little kids to sit behind my seat. The discount was only valid if they successfully prevented me from sleeping. You may already know that it's agaiinst the rules to throw kids off busses while the bus is still in motion. Also their parents seem to get all huffy about it. Orville and Wilber invented the plane... just so they wouldn't have to ride a bus.:)

Good stuff!

IceAge
04-21-2009, 16:04
Dogged it from Minneapolis to Stevens Point, WI when I was in the Navy Reserves, should have been a simple 4 hour ride turned into a 12 hour tour of the Upper Midwest, vowed I would never again voluntarily step onto a bus again in this life

kyhipo
04-21-2009, 16:18
2 day 10 hour trip to complete my second leg of the triple crown, the PCT..I can relate my trip was about the same.Went thru dallas,el paso somthing like that,just killed me good thing i have friends in cali,took break for a couple days off! then hit the trail knee where killen me.ky

wcgornto
04-21-2009, 16:20
Much of South America is backwards / third world. However, long distance bus service in Argentina is fantastic. I have been taking 600 mile+ overnight trips first class, with a seat that folds flat, dinner, wine and champagne, for between $60 and $100 per trip, depending on distance. Greyhound costs about $70 from Atlanta to Valdosta, without bed, dinner, wine or champagne.

Worldwide
04-21-2009, 17:01
Get your bad self on the PCT and tear it up man. If you need anything lemme know.

cavscout
04-21-2009, 17:13
Took greyhound from ATL to Camp Geiger for about a 12 - 14 hour ride. To paraphrase Dr. Suess, Oh the places you will go and the people you will meet. And then to step off the bus and realize what you went through to get to Camp Geiger!!!!

fehchet
04-21-2009, 17:39
For me Greyhound is the only way to go. I'm part of the masses who can afford a plane but won't be able to eat for several weeks thereafter if I do. Sure I have stories of 26 hour rides that turn out to be 42 hour rides. The reality is, I don't suffer through these trips because I plan ahead and consider a bus ride like a hike. And I get to where I need to get whether on time or not.
I bring food and entertainment -- radio or ipod.
My next trip is from Sarasota, FL to Johnson City, TN on May 1. The plan is to have munchies for the entire trip and a Subway veggie wrap with extra pepper jack cheese and all the veggies. My only big layover is Atlanta and I'll get another wrap there.
Executing the correct schedule for your needs is important. I'm taking an early morning bus from Sarasota so I arrive in Johnson City at 8AM the next day(figuring no delays). This gives me a full day to get my sh+t together before I jump on the AT.
And my Embreeville Church Of Christ family is going to meet me at the bus when ever I do arrive. And we will have food and fellowship and church and what ever a hiker like me needs.
Sunday afternoon it will be Beauty Spot and Monday night it will be Cee Cee and the Greasy Creek Friendly.

sheepdog
04-21-2009, 18:09
Rode the dog from Knoxville to Michigan after a section hike. Never again!!

The Will
04-21-2009, 18:47
Same bad experiences as the previous posts. You are on the drivers schedule. Meaning if it's time for his meal break at 3 am your're going to be stopping for 30+ minutes. The 21-day advanced purchase price is cheap but you never know when people are going to use their tickets--I've often had to stand in line over an hour just to secure a seat.

This certainly seems counter intuitive at first but the best bus travel I've done anywhere in the world has been Mexico. The seats reclined WAY back. On a 12+ plus hour overnight trip we stopped twice, each stop was less than 10 minutes. There were curtains between the drivers area and the passengers so oncoming headlights would not disturb your sleep. The bus was no way near crowded. I've never rested so well at night on a bus.

My hypothesis: It's a poorer country. Those who do travel greater distances cannot afford airfare and so bus travel becomes the primary means. They make it nice.

Gray Blazer
04-21-2009, 19:13
You don't like the lubricated/greased headresteses?

Engine
04-21-2009, 19:27
Same bad experiences as the previous posts. You are on the drivers schedule. Meaning if it's time for his meal break at 3 am your're going to be stopping for 30+ minutes. The 21-day advanced purchase price is cheap but you never know when people are going to use their tickets--I've often had to stand in line over an hour just to secure a seat.

This certainly seems counter intuitive at first but the best bus travel I've done anywhere in the world has been Mexico. The seats reclined WAY back. On a 12+ plus hour overnight trip we stopped twice, each stop was less than 10 minutes. There were curtains between the drivers area and the passengers so oncoming headlights would not disturb your sleep. The bus was no way near crowded. I've never rested so well at night on a bus.

My hypothesis: It's a poorer country. Those who do travel greater distances cannot afford airfare and so bus travel becomes the primary means. They make it nice.

I agree that the bus I rode on in Mexico was nice, but the driver scared me to death. It was in the Yucatan, the roads were very narrow, and he was nearly tearing the doors off from oncoming traffic. The locals all seemed like it was no big deal though, so it must be common.

Frosty
04-21-2009, 20:17
For me Greyhound is the only way to go. I'm part of the masses who can afford a plane but won't be able to eat for several weeks thereafter if I do.I would think that not eating for several weeks would ensure you never have this (or any) problem ever again....

fehchet
04-22-2009, 04:36
I would think that not eating for several weeks would ensure you never have this (or any) problem ever again....

That's funny. Hope you know what my exaggeration meant -- $60 for the bus and $300 for the plane.

fiddlehead
04-22-2009, 05:45
I got lots of "dog" stories from the past.

Everytime i get on a 24 seat VIP bus here in Thailand I am amazed at the difference in the ride. Stewardess, drinks, food, she cleans the bathroom every hour or so. Movies (i saw Lord of the Rings the day it came out on a 12 hour 800 mile bus ride on one of these VIP busses) (2 drivers take turns and you stop for meals at a nice restaurant, included in the $20 price)
Greyhound should be ashamed of their service. (half the time i rode them, they either broke my pack or lost it! that's 50% failure rate)

I love "the dog" stories. Keep em comin.
Ask Blister Sister about her ride to the PCT back in '96.

TOW
04-22-2009, 06:44
Back in the early 70's I took the dog from Millonocket to cleveland. 3 whole days.back then you had leg room at least, today they pack you on them things like sardines in a can......

superman
04-22-2009, 07:18
I may be hiking the northern 500 miles of the PCT around Aug or Sept. with Tex. We hiked together from time to time in 2000 and hike sections of other trails since then. What works best for me is sending my pack ahead to near where we are starting via UPS. Then I fly to the closest airport, then I rent a car and/or get a shuttle. It works for me.:-?

Skyline
04-22-2009, 08:23
Greyhound sucks almost all the time. Amtrak sucks about 25% of the time. But Amtrak can be fun even when everything isn't going well. Just the nature of trains. Check out the train option next time.

Engine
04-22-2009, 09:21
Greyhound sucks almost all the time. Amtrak sucks about 25% of the time. But Amtrak can be fun even when everything isn't going well. Just the nature of trains. Check out the train option next time.

The one time I looked into it, the cost to take the train was really high. Is that normal, or is it usually an inexpensive way to travel?

Erin
04-22-2009, 23:19
When I was in high school in the 70's in Kansas I rode the dog-dubbed by my brother the "greasy dog" to visit family in Kansas City on alot of weekends. The dog passed thru Wentworth, Ks which had a facility that let the patients out on weekend passes. They were always sober getting on. On Sunday night going back I always had one passed out next to me that I was usually shoving off my shoulder. I was fourteen and alone and never had any problems, but the bus station in Kansas City was rough and my brother was always there at the front door waiting on me. I have ridden the equivalent in Europe as an adult and would do it again but the stations there are just as rough looking. The train system is wonderful. Ours is expensive in my opinion.

Skyline
04-22-2009, 23:45
The one time I looked into it, the cost to take the train was really high. Is that normal, or is it usually an inexpensive way to travel?

Compared to Greyhound, usually higher. Ya gets what ya pays for.

Amtrak does run specials from time to time. Most common is to sell unreserved seats close to travel date if there are a lot of them unsold. Also if they are trying to beef up travel in general on a route that isn't doing so well.

Go to www.amtrak.com (http://www.amtrak.com) or call 1-800-USA-RAIL.

I'd ride a bus if the trip was only going to take an hour or two and the savings were significant. Anything longer, if possible I'd take the train. YMMV.

vamelungeon
04-23-2009, 02:43
I got lots of "dog" stories from the past.

Everytime i get on a 24 seat VIP bus here in Thailand I am amazed at the difference in the ride. Stewardess, drinks, food, she cleans the bathroom every hour or so. Movies (i saw Lord of the Rings the day it came out on a 12 hour 800 mile bus ride on one of these VIP busses) (2 drivers take turns and you stop for meals at a nice restaurant, included in the $20 price)
Greyhound should be ashamed of their service. (half the time i rode them, they either broke my pack or lost it! that's 50% failure rate)

I love "the dog" stories. Keep em comin.
Ask Blister Sister about her ride to the PCT back in '96.

I remember riding Greyhound in the early 60's when I was a child and there were stewardesses. I think this was just on the "express" buses. They handed out pillows and those hollow tube headsets you could plug into the overhead. They were gone by the mid 60's.

fehchet
04-23-2009, 03:32
Most times I use the bus/train combo. Like: bus from Marion, VA to Washington, DC; train to Portland, ME; and then bus to Bangor. Being an SR/CZ helps a lot with the price.

Engine
04-23-2009, 05:31
I'll look into taking a train next time.

StarLyte
04-23-2009, 05:52
Maybe with our resources here you all can post for rides to places. It will take some planning, I'm sure.

Some of used to get out more...

Kanati
04-23-2009, 19:56
I think it would be cool to randomly set up a metal detector and check people coming off the buses to see what they are carrying.

Engine
04-23-2009, 21:27
I think it would be cool to randomly set up a metal detector and check people coming off the buses to see what they are carrying.

It would probably scare everyone else into never riding the dog again.

CrumbSnatcher
04-23-2009, 21:33
in 99' hitched from Millinocket to NEBRASKA. alot of luck and alot great people 5 or 6 days

Bronk
04-24-2009, 06:13
Spent the night in the DC bus station a couple days before Christmas once. I had flown into DC and due to a snow storm all the flights out were cancelled. I tried to rent a car but they wouldn't let any go out in the storm. Called the train station and they had nothing until the next day. Called Greyhound and they said they were still running on schedule. Took a cab to the bus station, bought my ticket, and just as I was about to board the bus they announced that no more buses were going out until they received weather reports from buses already enroute...said we'd know in an hour if the bus was leaving...it was 10pm...there were about 50 other soldiers there in the same boat trying to make it home for Christmas and we were all camped out on the floor with our gear. There was a big fat lady with purple spandex pants standing out in front of the station talking to herself about Jesus. Woke up about 3am to a security guard throwing a guy into an office head first...he landed on the desk. Bus finally left about 5am...from there what would have been about a 10 hour drive lasted 30 hours and I made it home about noon Christmas Eve.

Seems to me hitchhiking is cheaper, just as safe, and possibly a lot faster than Greyhound. For long distance trips it really almost costs the same as flying by the time you account for meals on the road...once talked to a guy who said it took him 4 days to make it from Boston to Orlando...really it surprised me it was that fast.

mister krabs
04-24-2009, 09:25
Greyhound Heaven:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/215/523962928_e4e81c30ec.jpg?v=0

dradius
04-24-2009, 11:05
i used to ride greyhound, but now the prices have gone up so much it isn't worth it for the places i go. they need to bring the prices back down since gas is back to 2 bucks a gallon.

Rockhound
04-24-2009, 15:34
i used to ride greyhound, but now the prices have gone up so much it isn't worth it for the places i go. they need to bring the prices back down since gas is back to 2 bucks a gallon.
Prices never really spiked to begin with. Bring the prices back down to what? I use the dirty dog at least 3 times a year. Round trip from TN to MA is always between $120 and $140 bucks buying in advance. You could'nt drive yourself that cheaply. Price is the one thing, the only thing Greyhound has going for it. If anything they should raise the prices a little and improve the services. Employees do not care about the passengers or their jobs, buses are always late and/or breaking down, the buses are filthy, the stations are basically ghettos. they don't provide enough buses and oversell the ones that they do, layovers are frequent and long.... And Dradius, they did bring prices back down. I paid $142 for my ticket when gas prices spiked. I'll be taking the same trip, (over 1700 miles) next month and the ticket cost me $120. Knock the Dog for just about everything but in regards to price you are wrong or just the cheapest person who ever lived.

mindi
04-24-2009, 19:58
Ugh, after the last time, I swore I'd never ride Greyhound again. I rode it several times when I lived up north, and it was always terrible, but my trip heading to Georgia to start my hike in '07 was the last straw.

I was extremely uncomfortable of course, but I expected that. What made it worse was that I was seated next to a creep for most of the trip. The guy talked and hit on me nonstop, even when I tried to put on my iPod to drown him out. Every rest stop, he followed me and tried to buy me coffee even after I refused.

I had long, long, layovers. One was about 6 hours, and it was at a bus stop with no lighted place to sit and a bunch of shady characters roaming around. I saw a broken crack pipe on the ground. I ended up spending the majority of my layover in the bathroom.

I finally made it to Georgia, and they started searching everyone's bags. (I hadn't seen anyone searched up to this point). The process took hours and the guy doing the searching was very rude. I didn't realize I had my tiny swiss army knife in my carry-on, so it was confiscated. I had carried my hiking poles with me the entire way, but they decided at this stop that I had to stow them under the bus. I had to wait in line to get a tag for the poles.

Finally made it to Atlanta and waited for the bus to Gainesville. It didn't show up when scheduled so after waiting a while longer, I went to the desk. Was told to wait at Gate 2. Sat there for another hour and went back to the desk. Two girls sitting behind it with their feet literally up on the table. They ignored me for about 10 minutes, finally asked me what I wanted, then told me that the bus I was supposed to be on had left from a different gate hours before, and the next one wasn't until tomorrow.

I called the Hiker Hostel and they told me where to catch a train and ended up picking me up at the train station instead. What a freaking nightmare.

slow
04-24-2009, 20:26
Plane=WM
GH=MB

The higher the price the nicer the nights....it's what you PAY for what you NEED.:D

frisbeefreek
04-24-2009, 20:39
Cheaper to fly in many cases, especially when you factor in the cost of additional meals.

Matteroo
04-25-2009, 03:19
took buses in Venezuela, Peru, and Bolivia. It can go from awesome to down right scary and insane. Depends a bit on the route. Major route between 'major' city centers, generally a fancy bus that is pretty damn plush and they make great time. Going somewhere a little more out of the way -- you get a greyhound equivalent bus. Somewhere really out of the way? a really really janky old thing that god help you stays on the road as it speeds around corners at 10,000ft in the rain.. Hmm.. in 2 months in Venezuela had a bus break down twice. Then again we took perhaps 10 or 15 buses in that time.. once was on a mountain road and we hung out for about 2 hours, nice views, great stream..washed my hair.. the other time in the middle of the night in the llanos (flat grasslands) hot as hell mosquitos like crazy.. why? because they have bizzare ass roads. I bet there is more miles of roads from the forest service in Oregon and/or Washington than the whole Venezuelan country - and they barely maintain them (bridges out, 2 foot deep potholes..etc--its very entertaining)

also, on the really nice buses, they have air conditioning - but it is permanently set at 50 degrees - seriously, take a long bus trip in Venezuela, take a blanket!

Matteroo
04-25-2009, 03:24
ps. Bucket (gf) took a greyhound from Detroit to Vancouver, BC.. she has a story about that! She actually wrote a short novel about it, lol.

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 00:32
sorry guys I did the hound thing 1 time and that was enough. I would rather thumb bum or hop a freight train. I know a lot of you are thinkin, isn't that dangerous? Yeah they both have there trials, but to be honest I have had very few bad experiences. With trains, the only thing that sucks is sometimes they stop out in the middle of no where for a few days, but if you are geared up, it's great, a few days of campimng so far from every1 that u swear u are the last 1 on earth. As for hitch hiking, there are 3 types of people who give you a ride, Religous, old hitchers, and homosexuals. All 3 are easy to deal with, the the Religous you say "Yes I have accepted Jesus", to the old hitcher you "That's cool" and listen to his stories (they prolly are pretty cool), and to the Homo you say "No thanx", unless of course you want to, then hey go for it. It's free, easy, and you meet lots of cool people, oh yeah and it is faster than the Hound.

Chaco Taco
04-28-2009, 17:56
sorry guys I did the hound thing 1 time and that was enough. I would rather thumb bum or hop a freight train. I know a lot of you are thinkin, isn't that dangerous? Yeah they both have there trials, but to be honest I have had very few bad experiences. With trains, the only thing that sucks is sometimes they stop out in the middle of no where for a few days, but if you are geared up, it's great, a few days of campimng so far from every1 that u swear u are the last 1 on earth. As for hitch hiking, there are 3 types of people who give you a ride, Religous, old hitchers, and homosexuals. All 3 are easy to deal with, the the Religous you say "Yes I have accepted Jesus", to the old hitcher you "That's cool" and listen to his stories (they prolly are pretty cool), and to the Homo you say "No thanx", unless of course you want to, then hey go for it. It's free, easy, and you meet lots of cool people, oh yeah and it is faster than the Hound.
Wow didnt think hippies thought like that:rolleyes:

zoidfu
04-28-2009, 18:52
You can't argue with the variety. There are some people in China who'd kill for 3 choices.

little bear
04-28-2009, 20:24
o man, I hope that Grey Hound is not that bad. I just bought a ticket from Raleigh to Ashville to see Chaco and go to TD with him. Could not beat the price so thats why I went with it. It says trip will take 5 hours 35 min, is there time not accurate?

Dogwood
04-28-2009, 20:32
Be careful when traveling the dog these days. If you can get a ticket with as little as one week advance you can often take Amtrak cheaper! I would rather be on a train where I can walk around, stretch out, eat in the dining car, and avoid the many transfers and time delays that I so often encounter on Greyhound. Also, I just got a mid week flight from Newark to Denver non-stop at a reasonable time at the last moment(3 days before I left) for $110 one way. The same ticket with a 3 day advance purchase would have cost me $197 on Greyhound. Nice arriving at your destination ready to hike because you feel fresher because you just spent 5 hrs traveling by plane rather than 2 + days cramped in a bus seat! Greyhound doesn't always hit the rock bottom price of travel these days!!!

Dogwood
04-28-2009, 20:35
I also bought a one way walk up ticket on Amtrak that took me from Denver to Green River, Utah for $44. The same ticket bought the same way on the dog would have been $57.

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-28-2009, 20:42
Wow didnt think hippies thought like that:rolleyes:
Why wouldn't we think this way? I was going to ask how you knew I was a hippie, but I am guessing my name might have givin it away lol,

toothpick
04-28-2009, 21:19
Took the Greyhound to Hagerstown for an early April section hike and thought it was a good way to go. Other than a women in the waiting area cleaning her feet it was a good experience.

Toothpick

Chaco Taco
04-28-2009, 21:20
o man, I hope that Grey Hound is not that bad. I just bought a ticket from Raleigh to Ashville to see Chaco and go to TD with him. Could not beat the price so thats why I went with it. It says trip will take 5 hours 35 min, is there time not accurate?
Its short, only 2 stops