PDA

View Full Version : DWG Hostel - Open To Non Hikers?

RITBlake
04-21-2009, 19:13
Myself and 3 others are doing some aqua blazing along the Delaware River next weekend. Hoping to cover the 40 mile stretch of the DWG NP and camping along the river bank.

Does anyone know if a. the hostel on the PA side of the bridge is open now? and b. is it uncool for non hikers to stay there?

Blake

Lone Wolf
04-21-2009, 20:44
i say uncool. get a motel

CrumbSnatcher
04-21-2009, 22:18
i know they don't serve hikers that roll up with vehicle support. and too many hikers jumping up for the hikers feed(one day a week)it was suppose to be for hikers that walk into DWG(hostel) that day!

Sly
04-21-2009, 22:22
According to the Companion it's limited to long distance hikers. No car, van or support vehicle parking.

CrumbSnatcher
04-21-2009, 22:23
According to the Companion it's limited to long distance hikers. No car, van or support vehicle parking.
yeah what he said

RITBlake
04-21-2009, 23:20
Thanks for the info guys, time to book a motel room.

zoidfu
04-21-2009, 23:32
That sounds like a pretty good idea for a trip. Thanks

RITBlake
04-21-2009, 23:48
That sounds like a pretty good idea for a trip. Thanks

Here's a pdf that helps w/ the planning, fishing info, campsite info, etc..

http://www.delrivgreenway.org/pdf/Water%20Trail%20Guide%202007-01-22.pdf

Also lots of info on the NPS DWG website.

Jeff
04-22-2009, 08:00
It's early in the season...not many hikers around that area. Why not call and offer to do some fix up, clean up at the hostel to prepare for the coming surge.

RITBlake
04-22-2009, 09:04
It's early in the season...not many hikers around that area. Why not call and offer to do some fix up, clean up at the hostel to prepare for the coming surge.

Not a bad idea but we'll be coming in around 7 p.m. and will be out of there by 7 a.m. Not to mention will probably want to have a couple beers in town so maybe a motel is best.

RITBlake
06-02-2009, 14:08
So I forgot to post here after the trip, but let me say this... canoe camping is awesome.

Your canoe can easily carry lots of gear so things like beer coolers, bocce sets, real rain gear, lighter fluid etc are at your fingertips.

We had some rain and clouds on the first day but on day 2 it cleared up.

Photo below is our riverside campsite. We bought a huge tarp on craigslist and rigged it up which kept us perfectly dry during the big rain that came during the night.

Definitely looking to go again sometime this Summer and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a good weekend on the water

http://www.maine2georgia.com/campsite.jpg

and below is me doing my best Steve The Ferryman impression.

http://www.maine2georgia.com/blakepaddling2.jpg

Manwich
06-02-2009, 15:12
So do you own that Canoe? I was thinking about getting into Canoeing Camping but I'd be starting from ignorant scratch.

mister krabs
06-02-2009, 15:31
So I forgot to post here after the trip, but let me say this... canoe camping is awesome.

and below is me doing my best Steve The Ferryman impression.

http://www.maine2georgia.com/blakepaddling2.jpg

Yes, canoe camping is awesome, that appears to be an old town discovery canoe and old town paddle. Got the same set myself, have enjoyed them for 20 years.

RITBlake
06-02-2009, 15:45
So do you own that Canoe? I was thinking about getting into Canoeing Camping but I'd be starting from ignorant scratch.

Yes, Mike and I bought one last summer off craigslist for around $300.

We had never canoe camped before but we went with my brother who does it a lot who showed us the ropes. Basically...anything you ever dreamed of having on a backpacking trip you can bring in your canoe.

We did the 40 mile section through the DWG which was a great place to learn. There are island and beach campsites scattered every few miles.

You learn very quickly as you go.

RITBlake
06-02-2009, 15:48
that appears to be an old town discovery canoe and old town paddle. Got the same set myself, have enjoyed them for 20 years.

Yes that is correct sir, it worked out great. We are however, upgrading our paddles to larger, longer, lighter, wood models.

mister krabs
06-02-2009, 16:57

No you wouldn't. Backcountry camping requires the same skills whether your mode of travel is nautical or pedestrian. In fact after coming back to hiking after years of canoe camping, I'd say that hiking is a more advanced form of camping that is much less forgiving of poor gear choices. Canoe handling is a skill set that you can gain, you've got everything else.

A cooler full of beer on a 3 day float is an amazing luxury.

Manwich
06-02-2009, 17:07
Craptacular. A Canoe. I haven't the money to buy it or a comparable vehicle to move it.

RITBlake
06-02-2009, 21:24
No you wouldn't. Backcountry camping requires the same skills whether your mode of travel is nautical or pedestrian. In fact after coming back to hiking after years of canoe camping, I'd say that hiking is a more advanced form of camping that is much less forgiving of poor gear choices. Canoe handling is a skill set that you can gain, you've got everything else.

Wow....couldn't have said it better myself so I won't even try but that basically sums it. My brother has been canoe camping for years yet....yet I think he definitely learned some new things from Mike and I's fanatically efficient packing and planning techniques and methods.

RITBlake
06-02-2009, 21:26

So true. Freeze some burgers or hot dogs the night before and you've got a winning combination.

Dogwood
06-03-2009, 00:07
When I was there in 06 they planely stated they were only letting hikers stay there, although after much wrangling and smooth talking they let a long distance bicylist/so called hiker stay because there was space available under the condition that if a hiker came in the bicylist was to vacate thier bed.

RITBlake
06-03-2009, 00:33
When I was there in 06 they planely stated they were only letting hikers stay there, although after much wrangling and smooth talking they let a long distance bicylist/so called hiker stay because there was space available under the condition that if a hiker came in the bicylist was to vacate thier bed.

Yah kind of a non issue at this point. We cowboy camped about 35 miles up river in one of the state park launching points.

The Mechanical Man
06-03-2009, 00:52
Yah kind of a non issue at this point. We cowboy camped about 35 miles up river in one of the state park launching points.

OK, this is killing me, after all is said and done, ...... why did you want to stay at the DWG hostel in the first place?

Sniff Packs?
Too Cheap ?
Roof over your heads in case of rain?
Meet Thru-hikers?
Ask Pastor Karen if any work needed to be done?
Take a FREE shower?

RITBlake
06-03-2009, 08:44
OK, this is killing me, after all is said and done, ...... why did you want to stay at the DWG hostel in the first place?

Sniff Packs?
Too Cheap ?
Roof over your heads in case of rain?
Meet Thru-hikers?
Ask Pastor Karen if any work needed to be done?
Take a FREE shower?

Convenience and location mostly. Thousands of hostels around the world and in America are open to more then just backpackers. Thought the hostel in DWG might be an option so I did my due diligence by asking ahead of time, got the answer here on whiteblaze and happily made other arrangements.

The Mechanical Man
06-03-2009, 22:17
Convenience and location mostly. Thousands of hostels around the world and in America are open to more then just backpackers. Thought the hostel in DWG might be an option so I did my due diligence by asking ahead of time, got the answer here on whiteblaze and happily made other arrangements.

Canoeing and camping along the Delaware river is great fun. :sun
Have you ever gone through foul rift?

Foul Rift is an approximately mile-long stretch of Class II+ rapids in the Delaware River just south of Belvidere, New Jersey. The rapids are caused by a dramatic descent in the elevation of the riverbed. These rapids are considered the most dangerous in the entire Delaware River Basin.
The Delaware River never became a major industrial shipping channel due to navigational issues created by Foul Rift and other rapids along the main stem of the river.

The Mechanical Man
06-09-2009, 00:47
I didn't think so.............

RITBlake
06-09-2009, 00:59
I didn't think so.............

Sorry TMM no haven't heard of it until tonight and don't think I've paddled through it (I really doubt it after reading about it!)