PDA

View Full Version : boots

TrippinBTM
04-21-2009, 21:00
I'm in the market for new hiking boots. What are the pros and cons of all-leather boots compared to something like a Merrel Chameleon (http://images.google.com/images?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4DKUS_enUS240US250&q=merrell%20chameleon&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi), which is what I have. I'm not asking about that specific boot, per se, just that sort of style, with those materials (fake leather with the mesh and so forth).

I'm not sure I want trail runners, as I'm not sure they'll hold up real well, plus, the army surplus store I work at has some leather boots, and some similar in materials to the Chameleon, which I can get at a discount, so I'll probably do that.

I've never used a full leather boot, and for one thing am worried about the weight, as well as the breathability. But I like how they look (I may wear them as street shoes as well), and feel like they'll last longer.

Ox97GaMe
04-21-2009, 22:15
full leather boots may not necessarily last longer. They require regular maintenance to keep the leather soft. If going on a long hike, the leather would have a tendancy to dry out and crack. Even with a mixed boot (I use Vasque Gortex), it is the leather part of the boot that usually gives first, thus rendering them non water resistent.

You have the main concerns addressed; breathability and weight. The other down side is that they tend to take longer to dry out than a goretex combination or trail runner type boot/shoe.

Pros.. Warmer (generally), more water resistent usually (but not always). Some folks might say they give better support for ankles, but I havent seen much difference in my own hiking experience.

Tinker
04-21-2009, 22:32
A properly treated leather boot
1) Takes longer to soak through.
2) Stays soaked longer.
You're better off with a fabric/leather boot or shoe. Gore-Tex keeps your feet drier in wet weather but wetter in dry weather (doesn't really breathe that well) and, like full leather, keeps the inside of the boot from drying as quickly as it would without the membrane. Also, the membrane tends to start to leak if exposed to oils and salt (sweat), and is susceptible to abrasion under the foot.
Fwiw: I hiked the last 30 miles of the Hundred Mile Wilderness in Keen watersport (nylon strap) sandals after my Keen low top hikers stretched out too much to offer support. Don't worry about the durability of trail runners. Some are very durable, some are not (just like low top hikers and light boots). Fit is most important. Durability is not high on the list if the boots/shoes don't fit well.