PDA

View Full Version : Snakes and Dogs

sasquatch2014
04-22-2009, 07:24
Please be advised that this is in Dogs on the trail Forum. This is not open for debate about, Should dogs be on the trail, or the pros and cons of snakes. This is for those with a similar issue or experience on the question of the OP. Thanks.

My hiking pal Hank has not met any snakes yet. Most of the hiking that we have done together so far have been in cooler weather. One trip the morning low was around 9* so I didn't give snakes a whole lot of thought. A lot of the sections that I am looking at for this upcoming year are well known for their less than friendly snake population. So here is the question.

What have you done that seems to have worked to "Snake Proof" your pooch?

Engine
04-22-2009, 09:16
Please be advised that this is in Dogs on the trail Forum. This is not open for debate about, Should dogs be on the trail, or the pros and cons of snakes. This is for those with a similar issue or experience on the question of the OP. Thanks.

My hiking pal Hank has not met any snakes yet. Most of the hiking that we have done together so far have been in cooler weather. One trip the morning low was around 9* so I didn't give snakes a whole lot of thought. A lot of the sections that I am looking at for this upcoming year are well known for their less than friendly snake population. So here is the question.

What have you done that seems to have worked to "Snake Proof" your pooch?

When I worked at the attraction in Homossassa doing snake shows, local hunters would ask us to snake proof their dogs and this is how we did it. It required a shock collar, which can be found at WalMart for around $100.00 and a non venemous snake. It is preferable to have a relatively aggressive non venemous snake that will stand it's ground and strike once in a while. Allow the dog to approach the snake and when it gets too close or the snake strikes, activate the collar. Start with a low setting and keep upping the intensity until the dog doesn't approach the snake anymore. It can take 2 or 3 sessions over a few days for some dogs to "remember" and completely stop the behavior, but it always worked for us.

As for the use of a shock collar, I know some will think this is cruel but I've seen dogs die from snakebite and trust me, that is much worse.

leeki pole
04-22-2009, 09:41
My two Labs who I walk on our back 40 where there are snakes ignore them. In fact last Saturday, they walked right by a hognose and didn't even give him a sniff. And he was in the middle of the trail. Scared the bejeebers out of me when I saw him, but then I saw he was harmless after I almost stepped on him. I haven't done any special training with my Labs as far as snakes are concerned, I think the breed may have something to do with it. Now my dachshund or fiest, that might be a very different story.

karoberts
04-22-2009, 09:46
#1: Get the rattlesnake vaccine from Red Rock Biologics. You can booster up to every four months or just once a year depending on how likely you are to encounter snakes.

#2: Get professional snake-avoidance training. They will bring real venomous snakes including rattlesnakes and copperheads - juveniles and adults that are muzzled. This helps the dog learn the actual scent and sound of the dangerous snakes. They will safely shock your dog when it approaches the snake.

superman
04-22-2009, 09:49
It depends on the dog. Winter walked right over many types of snake on the trails. She didn't bother them and they didn't show any interest in her. Winter had been nose to nose with both skunks and porcupines without incident. When a bear was about 10' in front of us the fur on Winters back raised up and she leaned forward. I said "stay." and she eased back and relaxed as the bear continued on. Winter walked up on a fawn that was laying right next to the trail. The fawn bolted and Winter just watched the fawn run off. There were so many examples of this kind of event. I don't know if it's because she's a well trained german shepherd or if it was just Winter.

Engine
04-22-2009, 09:54
...I don't know if it's because she's a well trained german shepherd or if it was just Winter.

Probably a little bit of both. I have seen dogs that were so easy to deal with you hardly knew they were around, and of course the opposite is true as well. Give yourself some credit, the owner has alot to do with the dogs behavior.

superman
04-22-2009, 11:58
Probably a little bit of both. I have seen dogs that were so easy to deal with you hardly knew they were around, and of course the opposite is true as well. Give yourself some credit, the owner has alot to do with the dogs behavior.

Winter has been the brains but I've got the thumbs.:D

sheepdog
04-22-2009, 16:28
When I worked at the attraction in Homossassa doing snake shows, local hunters would ask us to snake proof their dogs and this is how we did it. It required a shock collar, which can be found at WalMart for around $100.00 and a non venemous snake. It is preferable to have a relatively aggressive non venemous snake that will stand it's ground and strike once in a while. Allow the dog to approach the snake and when it gets too close or the snake strikes, activate the collar. Start with a low setting and keep upping the intensity until the dog doesn't approach the snake anymore. It can take 2 or 3 sessions over a few days for some dogs to "remember" and completely stop the behavior, but it always worked for us.

As for the use of a shock collar, I know some will think this is cruel but I've seen dogs die from snakebite and trust me, that is much worse.
I have used this same method. A hognosed snake works very well as your training snake. In my experience a snake is a snake to a dog. Once they learn one hurts you, they believe they all hurt you. While hunting my bird dogs I can always tell where the snake is. My dog will circle right around them.

SteveJ
04-22-2009, 16:37

I agree....and keep Phoebe on a leash 100% of the time because her prey drive cannot be overcome by voice command by me, which is a characteristic of the breed. I've read of highly obedience trained 8or 9-yr old sibes running off and never being seen again.

superman, would love to have met you and Winter on the trail when she was in her prime. Have read lots of great things about her!