PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 ounce inline filter

SlowLightTrek
04-22-2009, 08:42
I used to carry a katydin hiker pro and switched to the 1.8 ounce Sawyer filter. http://www.sawyeronline.com/SP121.htm This is easily field cleanable by backwashing and has a million gallon guarantee for about $45.

maguirebaseball
04-22-2009, 09:36
how do you plan on using that? it has no pump. seems really inefficient and time consuming.

Engine
04-22-2009, 09:37
I used to carry a katydin hiker pro and switched to the 1.8 ounce Sawyer filter. http://www.sawyeronline.com/SP121.htm This is easily field cleanable by backwashing and has a million gallon guarantee for about $45.

Do you use it with a hydration pack, or in a gravity filter? I was thinking about making a gravity filter out of a 2 gallon water sack, but I wondered if the flow rate would be high enough to make it worth trying.

SlowLightTrek
04-22-2009, 09:59
Im using it in a platypus hydration pack. I didn't want a hydration pack but this filter made me go that route. I was also thinking of epoxying a length of hose onto a platypus cap and using gravity/sqeeze platy tank method. The flow rate on this thing is amazing. Virtually no resistance (really).

Engine
04-22-2009, 10:05
Im using it in a platypus hydration pack. I didn't want a hydration pack but this filter made me go that route. I was also thinking of epoxying a length of hose onto a platypus cap and using gravity/sqeeze platy tank method. The flow rate on this thing is amazing. Virtually no resistance (really).

I'm not questioning your experience, but I can't understand how you can filter to 0.1 micron without serious resistance. It might answer my water safety needs though. At 1.8 ounces it weighs less than my Aquamira bottles, and the 2 gallon water bag I plan to use would be handy for fetching water, etc...

SlowLightTrek
04-22-2009, 10:07
Check out the tech specs on the website. They use a gazillion micro porus fiber loops.

SlowLightTrek
04-22-2009, 10:13
I got it mostly for the southern desert section of the PCT. Something about drinking water from stock tanks. I can always ditch it and the bladder once I reach the Sierras if I want.

Chenango
04-22-2009, 13:47
I got it mostly for the southern desert section of the PCT. Something about drinking water from stock tanks. I can always ditch it and the bladder once I reach the Sierras if I want.

Aprox how much does it cost?

frisbeefreek
04-22-2009, 14:15
I just spent the last hour looking for the "best" (light & fast) filter to use in a gravity filter on the PCT, when I stumbled on this timely thread.

Basically, I looked at these posts

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearGravityFilter.html (requires tablets)
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5626
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2847

General consensus in the past was that the Sawyer filters were very slow (1L in 5-7 minutes claimed several posters).

SlowLightTrek -- Could you tested the flow rate on the Sawyer? Liters/Minute? Hook a Platy bag to the input hose, and measure how long it takes to drain?

Anyone else have a recommendation for a filter other than the relatively heavy Katadyn Hiker Ceramic Filters (0.3micron).

Thanks - FF

frisbeefreek
04-22-2009, 14:23
Found these recent thread that is specifically related to the Sawyer filter. The second one has a post from Noel that mentions 2L in 3minutes, which is pretty good.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=19808

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=3&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.backpackinglight.com%2Fcgi-bin%2Fbackpackinglight%2Fforums%2Fthread_display.h tml%3Fforum_thread_id%3D19808&ei=_k7vSezpHoOItgepwrjIDw&usg=AFQjCNEBQexIvXev_PBMpCfzst6zImKSOg

frisbeefreek
04-22-2009, 14:34
One last post before I take a deep breath: Is this the filter (strip away the bottle)? it looks just like the one at sawyerproducts.com

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8283710&sourceid=1500000000000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8283710

Engine
04-22-2009, 14:56
One last post before I take a deep breath: Is this the filter (strip away the bottle)? it looks just like the one at sawyerproducts.com

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8283710&sourceid=1500000000000003260410&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=8283710

Sure looks the same.

Turtlehiker
04-22-2009, 17:06
Yup the Sawyer website shows it being the .10 micron filter unless of course they make a special cheap one for Walmart like so many other manufacturers do.
I think I am going to make one with 2 platy 4 liter big zips. Just noticed something on the platy website. Their kit which is $90 has the bags marked clean and dirty, probably a good idea so you are not filtering into the dirty bag.

take-a-knee
04-22-2009, 22:34
Sawyer makes two inline filters. One is a hollow-fiber like the MSR and Platypus filter, the other is older technology, carbon IIRC.

SlowLightTrek
04-23-2009, 00:05
SlowLightTrek -- Could you tested the flow rate on the Sawyer? Liters/Minute? Hook a Platy bag to the input hose, and measure how long it takes to drain?
FF

I tested the filter I was curious as well. Gravity rate 3 liters in just under 4 minutes. Alot faster than a pump.

SlowLightTrek
04-23-2009, 00:13
Sawyer makes two inline filters. One is a hollow-fiber like the MSR and Platypus filter, the other is older technology, carbon IIRC.

I've got the hollow-fiber. Watching that 3 liter platypus bladder drain made me think of all the pumping I did in 2007 and put a smile on my face in the process.

juma
04-23-2009, 09:56
I made a gravity system with the walmart filter. It was the hollow tube technology and worked great. My only caution is prefilter water through a bandana to make sure no dirt/sand/flotsam goes to the filter. Almost anything you can see with your eyes will clog is some and make it harder and slower to filter. backwashing doesn't seem to fix it.

juma

frisbeefreek
04-23-2009, 13:45
Hey guys (especially SlowTrek) --

I just jury-rigged a gravity filter system to test a Sawyer 0.1micron filter. My flow rate is less than projected (1Liter/3min).

My setup:

2L Platy bladder filled with water and suspended
32" of 3/8" hose connected to the filter (all aligned in the correct direction) and dropping vertically.
8" of output hose draining into an open pot.
Confirmed there were no pinch points.

With about 30" of head pressure (top of water to top of filter, basically the length of tubing from the dirty bag to the filter), I'm getting 1liter/3minutes.

With 12" of head pressure, I'm getting 1L/8min (flow rate should be proportional to head pressure, so this result is about right).

This isn't a horrible rate for an unattended system, but SlowTrek mentioned 3L/4min. Any thoughts on how to improve?

I'm going to try to rig a Katadyn Hiker filter system for comparison - If successful, I'll let you know my results.

--FF

frisbeefreek
04-23-2009, 14:56
Well, ULA says their Amigo gets 1L/min with the Katadyn filter. I rigged an old (6-7yr), slightly dirty filter, and got 1L/4min. I can't account for the difference (basically followed the directions on http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearGravityFilter.html, but used a milk jug for my sack).

Just interested in what others have to say.

Engine
04-23-2009, 16:18

I just jury-rigged a gravity filter system to test a Sawyer 0.1micron filter. My flow rate is less than projected (1Liter/3min).

My setup:

2L Platy bladder filled with water and suspended
32" of 3/8" hose connected to the filter (all aligned in the correct direction) and dropping vertically.
8" of output hose draining into an open pot.
Confirmed there were no pinch points.

With about 30" of head pressure (top of water to top of filter, basically the length of tubing from the dirty bag to the filter), I'm getting 1liter/3minutes.

With 12" of head pressure, I'm getting 1L/8min (flow rate should be proportional to head pressure, so this result is about right).

This isn't a horrible rate for an unattended system, but SlowTrek mentioned 3L/4min. Any thoughts on how to improve?

I'm going to try to rig a Katadyn Hiker filter system for comparison - If successful, I'll let you know my results.

--FF

You cannot do anything about flow characteristics through the filter, but you can maximize the rest of the system by reducing restrictions and achieving laminar flow when possible. Step up to a 1/2" (or larger) hose and keep the length after the filter as short as reasonable. The 1/2" line would increase pre-filter pressure in the system while reducing resistance.

greentick
04-24-2009, 01:03
I have a ULA gravity filter and have ditched the katadyn filter, substituted the Sawyer SP121 in the line.

Since I haven't seen it addressed here, I'll throw this out there. Having forgotten (once, all it took) to put my Katadyn hiker filter by my sleeping bag in freezing weather, I email Sawyer's customer svc about the consequences of the filter freezing. They forwarded me to one of their geeks who said that they had not tested this. He further said that if it did freeze to consider it unreliable.

I'll have mine out next weekend for a field trial in the smokies.

SlowLightTrek
04-24-2009, 11:07

--FF

I'm not sure. My filter is new and I was using tap water and a 3L hydration pack about 24" height. Sawyer claims you can backwash the filter to clean it. I'm expecting the flow rate to go down the more I use it. I'm gonna switch to a gatoraid bottle once I hit the Sierras anyway. I just don't wanna drink stock tank nasties.

frisbeefreek
04-27-2009, 18:22
Thought I'd close out this thread with my semi-final results:

Basic design is similar to links posted elsewhere in this thread:

8L dry sack for dirty water (Walmart)
Nipple from Joy Liquid Soap bottle (credit to Kayak Karl)
Sawyer In-line 0.1micron filter (Walmart)
48" 5/16"ID (7/16"OD) vinyl hose from hardware store between sack & filter to establish good pressure
Rope to hang the filter
Clean water flows into any vessel (currently using 2.5L Platypus)

Flow-rate with a new filter: 2.5L in 9 minutes

I found that once you get started, it helps to turn the filter upside-down and tap it to remove any trapped air

Weight: 221g total (7.8oz)

75g for Filter
71g for Bag
68g for Hose (17g per 12")
7g for misc stuff

This is about the same weight as a Amigo Pro from ULA, so I'm not totally impressed, especially since the Amigo claims 1L/min flow, and costs $45 (more than what I spent to make mine).

About the only change I'll try is to cut the length of the hose to see what effect that has on flow rates.

Cheers-FF

Engine
04-27-2009, 19:56
Thanks for the information.

greentick
04-29-2009, 18:06
I did a test run since it's a new rig and I am taking it out this weekend for a few days in the smokies. In my non-scientific kitchen:

I put 3L of water into the bag.

Other than the Sawyer filter spliced in, the setup is off the shelf ULA Amigo.

The filter is 16" down from the bag. The bag is about 5' in the air. The tubing has a 1/4" inner diameter.

I did 2 runs using a digital clock that displays seconds.

There was apprx 125-150ml of residual water in the resevoir bag after each run.

Both runs took 3min and about 10-15 seconds.

EDIT: I got essentially the same performance in the field. Very happy. Added pic of filter in action while watering up at Tricorner Knob shelter in the Smokies.

TimJ
05-12-2009, 19:00
I did a test run since it's a new rig and I am taking it out this weekend for a few days in the smokies. In my non-scientific kitchen:

I put 3L of water into the bag.

Other than the Sawyer filter spliced in, the setup is off the shelf ULA Amigo.

The filter is 16" down from the bag. The bag is about 5' in the air. The tubing has a 1/4" inner diameter.

I did 2 runs using a digital clock that displays seconds.

There was apprx 125-150ml of residual water in the resevoir bag after each run.

Both runs took 3min and about 10-15 seconds.

EDIT: I got essentially the same performance in the field. Very happy. Added pic of filter in action while watering up at Tricorner Knob shelter in the Smokies.

Did you get your Sawyer from the walmart water bottle or from REI?

greentick
05-13-2009, 01:50
Did you get your Sawyer from the walmart water bottle or from REI?

I got mine from REI but someone said that they had contacted Sawyer and were told it was the same filter element. I guess the wallyworld one is intended to be tossed and never backwashed. The SP121 from REI came with a faucet adapter for filtration of questionable water or backwashing depending on the direction you hook it up. Easy to use; I just did it prior to storing my filter.