PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for a good low priced 40 deg sleeping bag?

Ridgeline
04-22-2009, 09:52
I'm just now getting into backpacking and I want to do some overnighters this summer and I'm looking for a good 40 degree bag....It doesn't have to be a down bag...I'm just looking for a good mix of low weight, low price, and small stuff size...all help, advice, opinions, and links are appreciated.

Engine
04-22-2009, 09:57
I'm just now getting into backpacking and I want to do some overnighters this summer and I'm looking for a good 40 degree bag....It doesn't have to be a down bag...I'm just looking for a good mix of low weight, low price, and small stuff size...all help, advice, opinions, and links are appreciated.

In that temperature range there are a lot of options that fit your needs, just make sure the bag fits you and allows room to move if you are a toss and turn type of sleeper. Check out Ebay, always deals there to be had and bags in the range you are discussing can be had very cheaply. Also, look at the for sale forum and see what's available here, someone might just have what you are looking for.

mister krabs
04-22-2009, 10:18
Yesterday I ordered this (http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/767276) for summer here in GA. It's cheap, light and small. The euro comfort level is 60, I'm hoping for 55 or so, maybe a little lower with my clothes. I'm expecting performance to be equal to or better than my walmart fleece bag, but reduce my weight and volume. It helped that I had some dividend to spend and my out of pocket was about 20 bucks. There's not too many opportunities to drop 3/4 lb from your big 3 for such a small expenditure. I'm pleased with the quality for cost of my other lafuma bag when using the appropriate euro EN-whatever ratings.

I was looking for a summer bag for may-sept long weekends in the southeast where I'll almost never be beyond decent weather forecasting or without an opportunity to ditch. Cheap and light are my criteria. Warm, not so much.

flemdawg1
04-22-2009, 10:27
You can pick up a Kelty Lightyear 40 down bag for $105. I bought one a month ago but will finally get to use it this weekend. Stuffs small (cantaloupe size), and under 2lbs.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=KE100001&code=GF7

JAK
04-22-2009, 10:33
I like to compare bags based on roughly equal fill oz x fill weight.
Then its a game of saving weight vs saving money.

You have to get the right fit and features though.
Also, for 40 deg, there might be better options like quilts.

Another good option is to not buy a 40deg bag and just use your 20F or 30F bag.
If need a 20F or 30F bag it is better to put all the money there I think.

mister krabs
04-22-2009, 12:15
a 20* bag is fairly useless in georgia in the summer.

Gray Blazer
04-22-2009, 12:26
I got a really nice 40 degree bag at Mountain Crossings from Wynton. It's made for Mountain Crossings and has their logo on it. It packs up really small and it really works. I know because I tested it out the night I got it (it went down to exactly 40 degrees on Wesser Bald).

I'm sorry I don't know more about it, but, I figured since you live in NGA, you could pop on over to Mountain Crossings and see it for yourself.

If you talk to Wynton, tell him Gray Blazer has his picture. He left it at the Bash. I'll return it to him this summer.

Worldwide
04-22-2009, 12:27
If you are on a budget you can make a Ray quilt rated for 40 degrees. Weighs about 2lbs when made for a person over 6' the kit is under $80. Granted you need to know how to sew a bit or know someone who does. I have used one for quite a few nights.

Since then I just use a silk liner and wear capilene #2 for summer nights. Granted once summer hits 90+ degree days I usually switch to Vampire shift and walk at night and sleep during the day.

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 09:24
go to the thrift stores. You don't find great gear everytime, but you will be surprised at the gear people donate. I like the USGI modular sleep system, and if you live anywhere near a military base you are likely to find them there for less than 10 dollars. there are also Bivy sacks for these bags, but if ya need 1 lemme know I have 75 of them lol, and I would love to sell a few.

Rockhound
04-26-2009, 10:29
Walmart has both the Scooby Doo and Hello Kitty sleeping bags on sale.

Ridgeline
04-26-2009, 11:10
Walmart has both the Scooby Doo and Hello Kitty sleeping bags on sale.:rolleyes:

Feral Bill
04-26-2009, 12:21
Check Campmor's closeouts. They almost always have deals that would meet your needs.

Doughnut
04-26-2009, 12:41
Check Cabela's also. I bought a Eureka Silver City on sale for about $25 last year.

doughNut

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 13:05
Can you tell we have some budget hikers here on this site lol

flemdawg1
04-27-2009, 10:34
You can pick up a Kelty Lightyear 40 down bag for $105. I bought one a month ago but will finally get to use it this weekend. Stuffs small (cantaloupe size), and under 2lbs.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=KE100001&code=GF7

Tried it out last weekend, and worked great. Not that I really pushed it temp-wise though, but stayed cool enough with the footbox and zipper undone. then zipped up more as it got cooler. Never needed to zip it all the way as it was in the mid-50s for low. It is a half zip w/ a foot-box vent.

Blissful
04-27-2009, 10:54
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___46515

Marmot pounder, old style. Great bag.

hoz
04-27-2009, 14:34
Sierra Trading Post

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/319,75294_Sierra-Designs-45-F-Shavano-Sleeping-Bag-Down-.html

45 degree, 2#2oz, $79.95.

toothpick
04-27-2009, 14:40
Negahiker,
I recently completed a 160 mile hike on the A.T. with a mummy bag I bought from Dicks' S. G. It was a 30 degree bag and weighed 2 lbs. 10 ozs. and performed very well. I would recommend it because it was also under $ 25.00.

Toothpick

John Klein
04-27-2009, 17:37
I got a really nice 40 degree bag at Mountain Crossings from Wynton. It's made for Mountain Crossings and has their logo on it. It packs up really small and it really works. I know because I tested it out the night I got it (it went down to exactly 40 degrees on Wesser Bald).

I'm sorry I don't know more about it, but, I figured since you live in NGA, you could pop on over to Mountain Crossings and see it for yourself.

If you talk to Wynton, tell him Gray Blazer has his picture. He left it at the Bash. I'll return it to him this summer.
I think you're talking about the Frog Sac. I thought maybe they stopped making them. I haven't seen it for sale on the Mountain Crossings web site.

Egads
04-27-2009, 17:47
Pick any TNF 20* bag and you have a good 40* bag

Gray Blazer
04-27-2009, 20:39
I think you're talking about the Frog Sac. I thought maybe they stopped making them. I haven't seen it for sale on the Mountain Crossings web site.

That's it! Good bag.

bigcranky
04-27-2009, 21:08
I had the Kelty Light Year 40-F down bag -- it was my first summer bag. Nice and wide, good hood, not a lot of fill, but I had it down into the 40s on many nights and it was fine. It's often for sale for around $100 online.

Ridgeline
04-28-2009, 14:16
Sierra Trading Post

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/319,75294_Sierra-Designs-45-F-Shavano-Sleeping-Bag-Down-.html

45 degree, 2#2oz, $79.95.

I decided to go with this bag...thanks for the suggestion hoz....thanks for everyone's help.

hoz
04-28-2009, 15:31
I decided to go with this bag...thanks for the suggestion hoz....thanks for everyone's help.

Woooah! Do I win anything?

Add one of those spun polyester liners to
you new bag and it can add 5-10 degrees to the rating.