PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Mira or other chemical treatments

jlore
04-22-2009, 12:04
I've never used aqua mira or any other chem treatment; i 've always used a filter, but i'm looking to cut weight. my question is: how does aqua mira effect food taste when you cook with it? and how does it taste on its own? no aftertaste or it is something that is bearable or you can atleast get used to?

thanks for the your help!

Engine
04-22-2009, 12:14
I've never used aqua mira or any other chem treatment; i 've always used a filter, but i'm looking to cut weight. my question is: how does aqua mira effect food taste when you cook with it? and how does it taste on its own? no aftertaste or it is something that is bearable or you can atleast get used to?

thanks for the your help!

If you are boiling the water for a minute or so when cooking, you don't need to treat it first, so no effect there. Otherwise it tastes like water from any municipal source, a hint of chlorine but not objectionable.

Lyle
04-22-2009, 12:14
For drinking water, I find it imparts no taste. Some folks have said they can detect a very slight chlorine taste, much less than typical "city" water. Some somewhat stagnant water will actually have it's taste improved.

Generally there is no need to treat water that will be used for cooking, as long as it is brought to, or close to the boiling point during the process.

Blissful
04-22-2009, 13:29
The only time a really notice a taste with Aqua mira is when I overestimate and add too much. Other than that it worked well for me.

JAK
04-22-2009, 13:42

thanks for the your help!I used aqua-mira and could never really detect any taste unless I was drinking plain old water. It was also very fast. I used a small wedding bottle for mixing and did that before I stopped for water. Helps if you know where the water stops are in advance. Then fillup and dump the wedding bottle in and keeping hiking, and then start drink 10 or 15 minutes later, usually on your way back up a hill. Now I just rely on my Kelly Kettle more, but still use Aqua-mira in summer when I am with my daughter and want more cold drinks. I don't know the price these days but you use to be able to get them cheap at Walmart if you weren't too fussy about expiry dates. For $10-$15 or whatever its worth trying.

AZJ_Jerky
04-22-2009, 13:52
I used aqua-mira and could never really detect any taste unless I was drinking plain old water. It was also very fast. I used a small wedding bottle for mixing and did that before I stopped for water. Helps if you know where the water stops are in advance. Then fillup and dump the wedding bottle in and keeping hiking, and then start drink 10 or 15 minutes later, usually on your way back up a hill. Now I just rely on my Kelly Kettle more, but still use Aqua-mira in summer when I am with my daughter and want more cold drinks. I don't know the price these days but you use to be able to get them cheap at Walmart if you weren't too fussy about expiry dates. For $10-$15 or whatever its worth trying.

10-15 minutes? I thought you are supposed to wait 4 hours...

SteveJ
04-22-2009, 13:56
you are to wait a minimum of 20 minutes to kill the "average" bugs....(longer if cold, murky water). If you suspect crypto, which isn't supposed to be prevalent on the AT, wait 4 hours. I've never waited more than 20 minutes in 6 years of use, and have never been sick.

AZJ_Jerky
04-22-2009, 14:09
you are to wait a minimum of 20 minutes to kill the "average" bugs....(longer if cold, murky water). If you suspect crypto, which isn't supposed to be prevalent on the AT, wait 4 hours. I've never waited more than 20 minutes in 6 years of use, and have never been sick.

Wouldn't the 20 minute wait time fail to kill giardia as well? (In addition to crypto) As they are both relatively "Large" protozoa that are resistant to chlorine dioxide?

Blue Wolf
04-22-2009, 14:17
I use to always use a filter I dropped a pound swapping to Aqua Mira drops I notice no funny taste at all. glad i switched except when there isn't a piped spring then you tend to get a few floaties.

Engine
04-22-2009, 14:59
I use to always use a filter I dropped a pound swapping to Aqua Mira drops I notice no funny taste at all. glad i switched except when there isn't a piped spring then you tend to get a few floaties.

I keep some paper coffee filters in the ziplock with the Aqua Mira and use them to prefilter the floaties in that instance.

SteveJ
04-22-2009, 16:27
Wouldn't the 20 minute wait time fail to kill giardia as well? (In addition to crypto) As they are both relatively "Large" protozoa that are resistant to chlorine dioxide?

I researched this at great length when I began using it 5 or 6 years ago. The research I found then indicated that giardia would be killed within 20 minutes, and I have not revisited the issue since..... (I also then consulted one of the adults in our Scout troop, who was / is a Sr Environmental Health Officer with the CDC.)

If you have seen scientific research that indicates otherwise (NOT some label which is designed to limit legal liability), I'd be interested in seeing it.....

cravj1988
04-22-2009, 17:02
I started with a filter at Springer Mt. and at neel gap I switched to 6% bleach in an REI dropper bottle (2 drops per liter). My little lady is an imunotoxicoligst, and after Katrina she found a bunch of articles regarding treating water and determined that 2 drops per liter is sufficient. Going from a 1.7 lb filter to 0.2 oz bottle of bleach just made sence to me. Eventually, i just started to drink straight from springs and was fine, again with her recommendation. I don't remember any hiker getting sick, other than from filthy hands after going to the bathroom...The bleach bottle is also good for killing chiggers that get under your skin and itch like crazy. I also used the bleach to clean sleaping bunks at hostels who do not have to follow Federal Hygene regulations for Hotels.

SteveJ
04-22-2009, 17:17
I was actually using bleach before swapping to AquaMira. I remember a Boy Scout hike in '02 or '03 when I had the discussion with the CDC dad (dad of 3 eagle scouts). His comment then was something like, "if we could get a supply of bleach to every third-world village, millions of people would live who are going to die because of unclean water...."

I started with a filter at Springer Mt. and at neel gap I switched to 6% bleach in an REI dropper bottle (2 drops per liter). My little lady is an imunotoxicoligst, and after Katrina she found a bunch of articles regarding treating water and determined that 2 drops per liter is sufficient. Going from a 1.7 lb filter to 0.2 oz bottle of bleach just made sence to me. Eventually, i just started to drink straight from springs and was fine, again with her recommendation. I don't remember any hiker getting sick, other than from filthy hands after going to the bathroom...The bleach bottle is also good for killing chiggers that get under your skin and itch like crazy. I also used the bleach to clean sleaping bunks at hostels who do not have to follow Federal Hygene regulations for Hotels.

Blue Wolf
04-22-2009, 21:51
I will try the coffee filter trick thanks!!

bigcranky
04-23-2009, 07:53
I don't mind the taste of AM in my water, but my wife does. There is no discernible taste of AM in food that I have prepared with treated water. (Though if you are boiling water, as pointed out above, you don't need to treat ahead of time.)

garlic08
04-23-2009, 19:48
My wife notices a slight taste with AM, too, but I don't. But I hardly ever use it anymore, just at cattle ponds now.

I hope you're happy with the switch from the filter. I sure was.

Rambler
04-23-2009, 21:09
From directions on the bottle:
Combine 7 drops of A with 7 of B. Let stand for 5 min. Add to 1 liter or 1 quart. Shake. Let stand for 15 more minutes. If water is very cold let stand for 30 minutes.

They do not describe "very cold", but i take it to be ice cold water.

To fliter out "floaties", I use a small piece of no see-um netting.

karoberts
04-23-2009, 21:21
I have noticed that if you add too much Aquamira the water acquires, not a taste, but a sour quality. It makes me purse my lips.

ithai
07-10-2009, 23:45
very very little chlorine taste. much less than tap water

summermike
07-10-2009, 23:53
you are to wait a minimum of 20 minutes to kill the "average" bugs....(longer if cold, murky water). If you suspect crypto, which isn't supposed to be prevalent on the AT, wait 4 hours.

Do you have an online source where I could verify this? I'm having trouble finding scientific proof AM kills both.