PDA

View Full Version : Wash Your Tyvek!

Manwich
04-22-2009, 14:02
I'm sure it's been said here in some obscure thread, but I've never heard of this idea till this weekend...

Tyvek sounds horrible when it's fresh. It's crinkly and you'll piss anyone within earshot whenever you toss and turn.

Another hiker suggested I crumple the hell out of it then throw it alone in the cold wash for 10 minutes. I did that last night and hung it out to dry in my shower, this morning, it's a lot like ripstop nylon!

esteban
04-22-2009, 14:13
Agreed. I just came back from a five day section and think I woke some people in the shelter with my paper crinkle when I would roll. Someone had a reflective emergency blanket for a groundcloth next to me and that was really bad.

D'Artagnan
04-22-2009, 15:18
I ran mine through the cold cycle in my washer about three times. Works great.

MoBill122
04-22-2009, 21:05
I used what they call " Soft Tyvek " , like what they make clothes out of... painter's coveralls, etc.... I washed it in warm water and its so soft. No noise !

Manwich
04-23-2009, 12:26
From what I understand, some people report problems whilst using detergent.

Jim Adams
04-23-2009, 13:49
How does that affect it's other properties?

geek

skinewmexico
04-23-2009, 13:54
I just sat there and crinkled up sections with my bare hands, and in 15 minutes, it was quiet.

CrumbSnatcher
04-23-2009, 17:29
How does that affect it's other properties?

geekthats what i was wondering. tyvek is water resistent not waterproof. the good stuff is the reinforced plastic with the yarn weaved into it. we use it in the winter on construction sites. wrap it around the scaffling and attach it to the building and put heaters inside. keeps it warm so we can lay brick in the winter. very stong light plastic