PDA

View Full Version : Sprained ankle- your opinion?

earplug94
04-22-2009, 14:35
Hello all,
I recently picked up a pair of Inov8 Terroc shoes and really liked them! Problem is I turned my right ankle really bad in them while TRAIL RUNNING (NOT HIKING). Also, turned it just a bit a week before this while trail running. I wanted to use the shoes packing. I know that trail running is alot faster and the impact and body weight is alot more with each foot placement. Do you think i should even chance hiking in these? I usually sprain ankles while running and not hiking.

Thanks for any input!!!
:)

Earplug94

Manwich
04-22-2009, 14:37
If I were you, I'd ditch the shoes while I was ahead...

Engine
04-22-2009, 14:52
Hello all,
I recently picked up a pair of Inov8 Terroc shoes and really liked them! Problem is I turned my right ankle really bad in them while TRAIL RUNNING (NOT HIKING). Also, turned it just a bit a week before this while trail running. I wanted to use the shoes packing. I know that trail running is alot faster and the impact and body weight is alot more with each foot placement. Do you think i should even chance hiking in these? I usually sprain ankles while running and not hiking.

Thanks for any input!!!
:)

Earplug94

Do you have a higher frequency of problems with these shoes, or is an ankle sprain common for you? Since you have only had these for a short time, any results from a short duration n=1 test would be fraught with the potential for statistical anomoly. So, use them a bit longer and see how they perform. If the problems continue then yeah I'd toss them, but if you have no more problems then go with them if you want.

wrongway_08
04-22-2009, 15:33
I hiked the whole trail in trail runners. No ankle support - no problems.

As long as they are comfy, keep them. Strech your ankle out.

flemdawg1
04-22-2009, 15:46
Its not uncommon to turn ankles trail running. Unless you turn your ankles alot while walking, especially with these shoes, I'd keep them.

Kerosene
04-22-2009, 15:48
Frankly, regardless of the shoes you're wearing, the probability of an ankle sprain is about the same. Stiffer, high-top boots really only help by giving you a little "warning" as you start to turn the ankle, in which case you may be able to avoid or at least limit the turn.

It sounds as if your ankles are still weak, which will put you at risk to turn them yet again. Keep the pack light, try to avoid uneven surfaces (or at least slow down), and avoid over-tiring yourself. You might also consider purchsasing a heat-moldable orthotic insert with a good heel cup which can help limit sprains.

Pedaling Fool
04-22-2009, 17:43
Go hike. I hiked Rockfish Gap to Harper's Ferry on a sprained ankle, it was painful, but that's just weakness leaving the body.

Old Grouse
04-22-2009, 19:33
I've got many miles on my Inov8 Terrocs and I love them, but I've reluctantly concluded that they're too light and flexible for me to confidently use them on any but the smoothest trails. I'll stick with Montrail Hardrocks for the rougher stuff.

Egads
04-22-2009, 20:30
Hiking with low cuts strengthens ankles.

Trail running doesn't cause ankle injuries; trail running on unsafe tread does. Slow down on those areas.

Go hike

fiddlehead
04-22-2009, 21:34
Reading thru this thread is great proof of how much hiking gear has changed over the past 15 years. (I started wearing polypro in 1980 because i was a whitewater kayaker but i don't believe the hiking people where convinced until at least a few years later.)

I believe it was Ray Jardine who first told us we could hike in running shoes.
Most flamed him for saying that, as it totally went against the consensus at the time.

Now, i believe most use them (???)

What's next?
What will be so different 15 years from now (hopefully those annoying hiking sticks will be proved a detriment)

Jayboflavin04
04-23-2009, 00:47
Sprained my ankle last december. Trace the alphabet with your large toe to help stretch and recoup your ankles. Easy enought to do while your are watching the tube!

mkmangold
04-23-2009, 01:26
The true problem with ankle sprains is ligament instability. When you stretch and tear the ankle ligaments (a "sprain") you destabilize the joint and invite the possibility of an ankle dislocation which is a true emergency. I've seen ankle dislocations so bad they cut off circulation to the toes. If you have had a recent sprain, I would recommend the following: stabilize the joint each morning with duct tape and use whatever shoe you choose. At the end of each day, remove the duct tape and allow your ankles to "breathe." Retape at the start of each hiking day. The point is to limit outward movement of the ankle joint.

peakbagger
04-23-2009, 09:48
I used to hike with boots with ankle support and frequently sprained ankles anyhow. Switched over several years ago to trail runners and very rarely strain an ankle and if I do, they are less serious. I live in the Whites of NH and hike the rocks all the time with runners so the advice about switching to boots with ankle support for doing rocks doesnt line up with my experience.

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 09:20
Keep them, if you are prone to sprains, then you need to strengthen your ankles.
1. Weighted calf raises on machine or with dumbbells in hands. Feet in a variety of positions constantly changing, even during exercise.
2. Jump rope
3. One legged weightlifting movements
4. Run and walk on the balls of your feet a lot every now and then.
5. Go barefoot now and then.
6. Take up hacky sack and dance.

Wise Old Owl
04-26-2009, 21:40
Do you have a higher frequency of problems with these shoes, or is an ankle sprain common for you? Since you have only had these for a short time, any results from a short duration n=1 test would be fraught with the potential for statistical anomoly. So, use them a bit longer and see how they perform. If the problems continue then yeah I'd toss them, but if you have no more problems then go with them if you want.

I hiked the whole trail in trail runners. No ankle support - no problems.

As long as they are comfy, keep them. Strech your ankle out.

Ahh, the young.....

Frankly, regardless of the shoes you're wearing, the probability of an ankle sprain is about the same. Stiffer, high-top boots really only help by giving you a little "warning" as you start to turn the ankle, in which case you may be able to avoid or at least limit the turn.

It sounds as if your ankles are still weak, which will put you at risk to turn them yet again. Keep the pack light, try to avoid uneven surfaces (or at least slow down), and avoid over-tiring yourself. You might also consider purchsasing a heat-moldable orthotic insert with a good heel cup which can help limit sprains.

The true problem with ankle sprains is ligament instability. When you stretch and tear the ankle ligaments (a "sprain") you destabilize the joint and invite the possibility of an ankle dislocation which is a true emergency. I've seen ankle dislocations so bad they cut off circulation to the toes. If you have had a recent sprain, I would recommend the following: stabilize the joint each morning with duct tape and use whatever shoe you choose. At the end of each day, remove the duct tape and allow your ankles to "breathe." Retape at the start of each hiking day. The point is to limit outward movement of the ankle joint.

Keep them, if you are prone to sprains, then you need to strengthen your ankles.
1. Weighted calf raises on machine or with dumbbells in hands. Feet in a variety of positions constantly changing, even during exercise.
2. Jump rope
3. One legged weightlifting movements
4. Run and walk on the balls of your feet a lot every now and then.
5. Go barefoot now and then.
6. Take up hacky sack and dance.

That about covers it. - except one thing, CONSULT a physical therapist/DOCTOR.

For me my ankles collapse on the trail regularly from a rock or not looking.

For my brother he needed surgury to reattach and strengthen one ankle because it was an issue, we are all different.

Blue Jay
04-27-2009, 06:26
Ankles get exercised mostly front to back. Walking, running, biking do not do much for side to side motions. To develop strong hiking ankles you need to do some type of side to side exercise. Years ago an orthopedic doctor suggested aerobics. At the time I twisted my ankles often, so I took his advice and now I do not.

Homer&Marje
04-27-2009, 06:51
I have torn the ligaments in my ankles 7 times. 4 right 3 left if I remember correctly. I tend to twist my ankles a lot....so I have always worn a high boot, can't do the trail runners.....I can run in the boots just fine but I have strong legs. A lot of calf exercises help me out I believe. Using a leg press machine I just do toe lifts with a good amount of weight.

Bodies funny though, if you've never torn or done anything real serious a few twists and sprains shouldn't keep you from trail runners. If you've had tears in the ligaments then you know it would be the worst thing to do while hiking and wouldn't question the boot.

garlic08
04-27-2009, 10:41
You're a '94 thru hiker, so you probably have more experience than many of the responders here. If trail runners are new to you, though, you'll have to listen to your body regarding them. I was leery to change, and for me it took many miles in the new shoes to strengthen my ankles and get my confidence in them in increasingly rougher terrain. Now I'll never switch back. I don't even know where my old boots are.

A few months before my first thru, I sprained my ankle badly (off trail). I got under the care of a good chiropractor and did most of the stuff suggested above.

By the way,:welcome to WhiteBlaze.

Blissful
04-27-2009, 10:51
I just sprained my bad ankle again on my last hike - tripped on a root hiking out in the dark. That would have happened wearing a boot or trail runner.
Did icing, exercises, and it's coming back nicely. Just take care of it.

But absolutely you need to strengthen it. The ligaments have more scar tissue and are less pliable. Need to work with it to stretch them out and get a wobble board too. And do calf stretches while hiking. And use poles.

Turtlehiker
04-27-2009, 13:28
Several years ago I sprained my ankle, what the doctors call a level 4 sprain, I think the next level is removing the foot, in a tragic alpine slide accident at Stowe. Anyway I was in partial cast for the first week put on my Stowe Critical care, they thought it was broken. When I got home an orthopedic Dr looked at it and said not broken just really bad sprain. Went through PT and Chiropractic and it is nice and strong 4 years later. I still do not have full front to back range of motion. It just reaches a certain spot and stops like it hits a bumper.

Anyway find some PT stretches and exercise it go to an Ortho/sports medicine Dr if you can.
It took me a good year to get out of the laceup brace. That might not be a bad thing for you to get I forget what they are called but it looks like a high boot that goes from your heel to above your ankle.

jrnj5k
04-27-2009, 14:34
Id walk barefoot as often as possible because it sounds like you have weak ankles and this is a good way to strengthen them up.