PDA

View Full Version : avg miles in the smokys

double j
04-22-2009, 20:56
i was wondering whats the avg. miles 1 could expect in the smokies. i pln on going next month.

Egads
04-22-2009, 21:08
Depends on your stamina and speed. Expect anywhere from 3 to 7 days, with 5 as an average.

Rain Man
04-22-2009, 21:28
I'm an old fat guy and averaged 15-mile days through the GSMNP, but then I hike long days.
:D
Rain:sunMan

Blissful
04-22-2009, 22:13
Took us five days I think, but we had been on the trail 2 weeks.

Ox97GaMe
04-23-2009, 01:18
The issue is more about staging for the shelters. You are required to stay in shelters in the Smokies; no camping between. The shelters are set up for distances of about 12-14 miles per day. Get the map out and plan out where you will be staying. The park CAN be done in as few as 3 days. Most thru hikers are hiking the park in 5-6 days. Leaving from Fontana, they reach reach Newfound Gap between noon and evening of the 3rd day. (Russell Field/Siler Bald/Newfound Gap) or (Spence Field/Double Springs/Newfound) You could also make this 4 days by doing Mollies/Derrick/Collins. A lot of hikers then go into Gatlinburg for the night. They then reach Davenport Gap late afternoon/evening of the 3rd day. (Peck/ Cosby/ Davenport) or (Icewater/TriCorner/Davenport)

Depending on the kind of conditioning you are in, you will need to determine if you want to do consectuive 12, 14, or 16 mile days through the park. Most likely, you will have some combination of each. The 20 miles out from Tri Corner is relatively easy, as it is primarily downhill. A lot of thru hikers are walking that distance to get out of the park.

Engine
04-23-2009, 05:42
Weather will be a factor as well. If you happen to catch a lot of rain the pace will slow down a good bit since in places the treadway will turn into a substance akin to snail snot. On average though, the above posts are correct regarding the 12-14 mile days being the norm. If you are going to be NOBO, then day 1 is a tough day with some extended steep climbs to gain the ridgeline. When SOBO, the climb out of Davenport Gap is more gradual, and thus not so taxing. Have fun and enjoy however long it takes you, there can be some of the best views of the southern AT on that stretch of trail. :)

Cabin Fever
04-23-2009, 08:24
I think you can do it in two 35 mile days! HAHA. See you tomorrow night on the Trail Double J!

double j
04-25-2009, 15:22
day1 fontana to russel shelter 2.russel to silers bald 3. silers bald to davenport gap 4.go into gatlinburg for resupply and move my car to davenport gap. 5. nefoundland to peckscorner 6. peckscorner to cosby knob 7.finish up and head home if someone is interested in going let me know

double j
04-25-2009, 15:25
day1 fontana to russel shelter 2.russel to silers bald 3. silers bald to davenport gap 4.go into gatlinburg for resupply and move my car to davenport gap. 5. nefoundland to peckscorner 6. peckscorner to cosby knob 7.finish up and head home if someone is interested in going let me know

i meant silers to newfoundland

sliderule
04-27-2009, 13:30
i meant silers to newfoundland

How about Newfound Gap? No passport required!!!