PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions?

JHL
04-22-2009, 23:26
So I am a newb here and a newb to the hiking scene, but by no means a newb to the outdoor/camping scene. I am graduating from college this May and wanted to take some time off before getting a job and do some hiking along the AT and need some suggestions. I have been combing the threads here and have learned a lot from other sites too, but the wealth of knowledge here seems to be too much to resist asking for some suggestions.
So my restrictions aren't very great, that is i dont really have any time restraints or deadlines to reach. I would like to start late may in maryland and hike through june. So what would you all recommend? Should I go north or South if I am looking for good views and good fishing? I was thinking about hitting the Shenandoahs and so on, but just wanted to see whether people here think north is the way to go.
Also I don't read a whole lot about hikers that bring fly rods. Are there any good fishing spots along the AT that anyone would recommend, or should I leave the rod at home?
Thanks all!
Jake

Ox97GaMe
04-23-2009, 01:02
Jake,
you may be able to find fishing places along the AT, but they will be few and far between. The AT was built on the ridgeline, so you dont see many steams. The trail does descend occassionally to cross a river or stream, usually via a road bridge.

Most hikers dont take a rod with them, as they are focusing on getting distance covered, not drowning worms. And the rod is deemed as excessive weight to be carrying on a thru hike.

The other thing to remember is that you would need to get a fishing license for each state that you were hiking through. If you get stopped by a game warden, it wont matter whether you actually fished or are just carrying the rod. Possession is 9/10th of the law. Having it means you COULD use it, and would therefore be required to show the permit if asked.

Engine
04-23-2009, 05:57
You can't go wrong with just about any 4 week stretch of trail on the AT. I would pick a 300 mile or so stretch that should have decent weather during the time frame you have in mind and just go enjoy myself. As for the fishing pole, I always found myself too tired to use it during days of extended hiking and now I only carry one when hiking short days with the intent of "smelling the roses". As for getting ticketed for carrying it, thats not the case. They haven't made possession of a fishing pole a crime in any of our 50 states (using it is another matter, get the license) so you could carry it legally from Ga to Me if you wanted, I just don't think your gonna want to...Have a blast!!!:)

Blissful
04-23-2009, 10:03
Don't just stick to the AT then for your wander, go off trail to some secluded areas and find places to fish and relax. Get yourself some maps, do some Internet research and take a look. :)

snowhoe
04-23-2009, 10:06
You can find places to fish but you are going to have to blue blaze which is fine. Maine would probably be the best for fishing. Alot of little ponds and lakes. Good brookies.

Spirit Walker
04-23-2009, 11:41
If you only want to be out for a month, and you want to fish, I'd go north. Maine and Vermont have lakes and rivers where you might be able to drop a line. June is buggy up north - but then it would likely be buggy in the mid-Atlantic as well. Pennsylvania has a couple of places to fish - but as others have said, the AT is a ridgetop trail with few lakes and rivers. The Shenandoahs have a couple of good fishing streams, but they are far from the At.

JHL
04-23-2009, 11:43
Thanks for the info everyone. Yeah I was planning on doing some wondering off the AT since I am really just looking for a relaxing time in the outdoors and seeing a lot of different areas.
See you on the trail!
Jake

Engine
04-23-2009, 12:26
I was thinking about recommending Maine to him, but look when he's going. Pretty buggy that time of year.

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 10:18
I have a pen fishin gear. Never caught a fish with it, and b4 it I had a bigger telescopin rod with open faced real. Not much fishin to be had on the trail, I take mine anyways, just cuz sometimes I want to sit down and fish. I have found it works great for gettin up a line to hang my gear from. As for north or south, I like hiking south. Seems more people hike north, and you get to meet a lot of people. Hit the smokies got a lot of great spots.

DuctTape
04-26-2009, 23:01
Not to be discouraging, but June in the mid-Atlantic states will be hot, humid, and crawling with ticks and probably rattlesnakes too. :welcome

That said, go north. If you were to go south, then the climate would only get hotter by the day. Going north, you'll mix in with the community of "thru-hikers" that have waked to Maryland/PA from Georgia. If you truely have no time constraints, then you may find yourself walking all the way to Maine and having the best time of your life.

Lilred
04-26-2009, 23:34
If you walk north, I would suggest starting in Waynesboro and hiking through the Shenandoa's.

JHL
04-28-2009, 17:54
Thanks for the suggestions. I also enjoy just fishing sometimes so maybe I will take a 4 weight or something small like that with me, break off from the AT to some rivers/lakes/ponds. I think in the end I will head north, but have some more research to do. Thanks all!