PDA

View Full Version : Guides / Maps

Lemming Fleming
04-23-2009, 03:45
Hi again, another day, another question :).

I noticed that my guide boook and map for northern virginia and maryland is quite old (I got it off ebay). 1997 to exact, while my SNP guide and map are last years. How much has the trail changed and will my guides / maps be relevant still? I hadn't really thought about this until now but should I buy new maps?

Thanks.

dperry
04-24-2009, 08:27
Hi again, another day, another question :).

I noticed that my guide boook and map for northern virginia and maryland is quite old (I got it off ebay). 1997 to exact, while my SNP guide and map are last years. How much has the trail changed and will my guides / maps be relevant still? I hadn't really thought about this until now but should I buy new maps?

Thanks.

I originally bought the 2000 version of MD/NVA, and now have the 2008 edition, and off the top of my head I can tell you there are at least two significant relocations (1 around Sky Meadows in VA, the other in the northern half of MD). Also, if you are depending on the guide for state park hours, rules and regs, supply points, etc., you will probably want something more up to date.

Blissful
04-24-2009, 14:30
You'd want to carry just the maps anyway. Leave the main guidebooks at home. Carry pages from the thru hiker companion if you need resupply ideas, etc.

snowhoe
04-24-2009, 14:32
Blissful you sure are smart. That is excatly what I did and it worked GREAT!!!

emerald
04-24-2009, 14:54
Blissful you sure are smart. That is exactly what I did and it worked GREAT!!!

You are both way smart, provided you are suggesting purchasing current maps!:-? Otherwise, the problem dperry mentioned remains (he's smart too).:)

Rambler
04-24-2009, 15:01
Guide books are more up-to-date than the maps. Changes are usually noted at websites like this one. I like maps that show the profiles. The Handbooks at this site have the profiles on each page.

emerald
04-24-2009, 15:13
Guide books are more up-to-date than the maps. Changes are usually noted at websites like this one. I like maps that show the profiles. The Handbooks at this site have the profiles on each page.

Is what you are saying true in this case or a general observation you've found to be true?:-? Are not the current maps mentioned by dperry more up-to-date than those the thread starter now owns?