PDA

View Full Version : Clarified Butter

Jayboflavin04
04-23-2009, 12:22
I wanted to take clarified butter instead of taking olive oil. After was all said and done the clarified butter just became really thick and unusable on the trail. Did I not do something right? Was it too chilly should I have stored it in a squeeze tube?

Manwich
04-23-2009, 12:25
Mighta been your method of dispensing. Go to your local pharmacy / drug store and find feeding syringes (Petco might also have them.) They're pretty damn light and for things like butter, they're the perfect size.

Jayboflavin04
04-23-2009, 13:02
I stored it in a screw top container from a local pharmacy....like a travel shampoo type deal. The idea was to keep from spilling in my pack.
Guess I didnt need to worry bout that.

DBthal
04-23-2009, 13:27
Clarified butter is a solid at room temps. I keep mine in a screw top jar. Stored in a fridge at home, but is fine for weeks on extended canoe trips.

Dan

sarbar
04-23-2009, 14:16
As noted above, properly done it should be very hard.

LaurieAnn
05-05-2009, 09:39
You can also buy Ghee from an Indian grocery store and that way the work is already done for you. It's somewhat similar to the clarified butter.

medicjimr
05-05-2009, 11:22
You can also buy Ghee from an Indian grocery store and that way the work is already done for you. It's somewhat similar to the clarified butter.

Ya I came accross some at a super walmart in the kosher section was $6 for a small jar.

drastic_quench
05-05-2009, 12:21
I tried making this at home, but just ended up with butter. I followed the steps I found online, but there weren't many solids to strain.

squirrel bait
05-07-2009, 09:22
Moisture of any kind is really really bad for ghee or clarified butter. A wet utenzil is a common culprit.

Wonder
05-07-2009, 09:25

Probably your best option is to buy. It takes some pratice to learn how to render out all of the solids. Ghee is a little pricey, but I know for a fact that you can buy it at Whole Foods.....and most likely places like Green life and Fresh Market. THe whole foods here sells the large jar for just over $7

Wonder
05-07-2009, 09:26
I tried making this at home, but just ended up with butter. I followed the steps I found online, but there weren't many solids to strain.

low, low temps in a non-teflon pan

squirrel bait
05-07-2009, 10:11
they're right. Cook slowly, skim and when well seperated from from all impurities and it begins to smoke then it is ready; strain through fine sieve or a piece of linen. Purified butter is brought to boil for two or three minutes, allowed to stand to settle, then skim and pass it through a fine sieve pouring off the top only so to leave the sediment on the bottom. Great stuff, have fun and experiment.

Alligator
05-07-2009, 10:18
In one of the restaurants I worked in we made this in large batches and I always found that to be easier with getting it separated. Small amounts didnt come out so good. I'm pretty sure we did about 2-3 lbs at a time placed into a tin in the steam table. Haven't made much at home just a few times but less than a stick didn't get quite the separation I was accustomed to in the restaurant. We never seived it though either, at the amounts we used we just poured it off.