PDA

View Full Version : Knees,ankles,legs?

Nina
04-23-2009, 12:38
Has anyone out there completed a thru-hike with less than good physical condition of they're legs? I have old injuries and I am not an experienced hiker, but I have been seriously planing to hike the trail for over 5 years now. I was planing on '09 when all my kids were graduated and all, but it snuck up on me and then I was like, fine I'll make it 10, now I am afraid, if this was the year I was planning to go, and now I am not prepared and putting it of to next year... ???? Thats beside the point I started to ask about, physically, legs, do they get stronger as you go?

Lyle
04-23-2009, 12:44
Yes, definitely.

People have completed the trail on crutches, blind, with all sorts of physical ailments. Only about 80% of what it takes is physical, the rest is strictly mental. You must be ready for discomfort, inconvenience, flexibility.

The trail can be hiked at any pace necessary for the individual. That is why most anyone who can walk can complete it - IF THEIR ATTITUDE IS RIGHT! Listen to your body, rest when you need to, slow down when you need to, but also push yourself when you need to.

Have fun!!!

Cannibal
04-23-2009, 13:07
Yes, definitely.

People have completed the trail on crutches, blind, with all sorts of physical ailments. Only about 80% of what it takes is physical, the rest is strictly mental. You must be ready for discomfort, inconvenience, flexibility.

The trail can be hiked at any pace necessary for the individual. That is why most anyone who can walk can complete it - IF THEIR ATTITUDE IS RIGHT! Listen to your body, rest when you need to, slow down when you need to, but also push yourself when you need to.

Have fun!!!
Good advice! I've got two bad knees and one less than good ankle. The first month was a bugger, but everything comes back around to feeling good. My rule for the first 30 days was no double digit days. I broke it once on a slack pack, but it was a rule that served me well. When April rolled around, my legs were just fine with 15+ mile days. Downs still suck, but one needs something to complain about at the end of the day.:D

middle to middle
04-23-2009, 13:44
one foot in front of the other, do it again.

Spock
04-23-2009, 13:53
Yes. Once with a totally worn out knee and once after replacing it. The first time was painful but that didn't keep me from finishing. The second time was easy - only 'normal' pain.

I learned to avoid nonsteroidal anti-inflamatories (nsai) like ibuprofen, naproxin sodium and asprin. When I used only Tylenol when it got really bad, the pain went way down after about a month.

Nina
04-23-2009, 14:16
Thank You all so much!!!

rainmakerat92
04-23-2009, 16:33
My doctor told me, "No one with your knee problems has ever walked 2,000 miles". I proved him wrong.

As Bill Irwin once said, put enough 10 mile days together, and eventually you'll get there.

It's not a sprint to the finish line, it is a very slow marathon (day after day).

Mother's Finest
04-23-2009, 18:20
you should start training now. no reason not too.

strength train for your legs........squats, lunges etc

peace
mf

Blissful
04-23-2009, 19:43
Yup. My knees were basically out of it for a good part of the hike, and I suffered two injuries (calf and ankle sprain). But I was determined to stand on the Big K without any ace wraps and did it.

I started at Springer with a bad toe and a thigh hurting. Pains come and go.

Poles, watching my mileage and pack weight, eating right and changing shoes frequently helped me.

Don't be scared off. Just do it!!

Ladytrekker
04-23-2009, 19:57
At the Florida Trail festival I met two very incredible women. One started hiking at 65 and her first long hike she thru hiked the AT, she is now in her 80's and is still hiking. The other woman I met started hiking at 60, she has thru hiked the Florida Trail (FT) twice and now at the age of 80 is section hiking the FT. When I met her last month she had just completed a 4 day hike (47 miles) at the age of 80. Both of these women wear packs that weigh in the 30 lb range. Now if that does not inspire you nothing will. I was awe inspired these women were pitching their tents, sleeping on hard ground in their 80's.

Nina
04-30-2009, 15:54
At the Florida Trail festival I met two very incredible women. One started hiking at 65 and her first long hike she thru hiked the AT, she is now in her 80's and is still hiking. The other woman I met started hiking at 60, she has thru hiked the Florida Trail (FT) twice and now at the age of 80 is section hiking the FT. When I met her last month she had just completed a 4 day hike (47 miles) at the age of 80. Both of these women wear packs that weigh in the 30 lb range. Now if that does not inspire you nothing will. I was awe inspired these women were pitching their tents, sleeping on hard ground in their 80's.

I am inspired! Thank you

Many Walks
04-30-2009, 18:52
Things that will help IMO...light pack, good shoes or boots, cho-pat knee braces, hiking poles, walking and stair climbing in preparation, taking it slow till your legs feel strong, and watch your step... over and over and over again. Enjoy your hike!

ohmeringue
05-08-2009, 11:22
Nina -

This hike has been on my life list of things to do.

Hubby and I are going mid march of 2010.

We better see you out there! Get the knees in shape with any means at your disposal, and start walking and get that lung capacity up to snuff.

No doubt we will be huffing and puffing along with everyone else but hoping the lungs won't be under as much stress if I hadn't been working out. ( I can't even read that last sentence and understand it! lol)

By the way I am 65 now and wish I were 40, but this is the year!

We have most of our gear and have tested out one tent and its going back. My favorite material is light weight merino wool. Many places like REI, ULA, Campmoor, LL BEAN have deals on internet ( coupons ). Keep your eye out for deals as there are many out there.

If you want to chat just write us a note!
Best to you,

Ham and THE BIG GUY

Kanati
05-08-2009, 21:11
It is unwise to start without preparation. You may do damage to your joints that could plague you for the remainder of your life. Start conditioning a few months before you plan to leave. You will not regret it. If you don't, you very well could.

Enjoy your hike. It will probably be the greatest experience of your lifetime.

:sun

Cassie
05-08-2009, 21:15
I have hypermobile ankles from too many sprains. I had professional orthotics custom-made by a podiatrist (=NOT= the ones sold you by a shoe store clerk, which can cause more problems). They really improved my feet, ankles, hips, knees, and back. I no longer have problems when I hike long distances.

Surplusman
05-09-2009, 05:34
I had a stroke back in July 2007 which left my right side useless. I had to learn how to use my right arm and hand again, and learn how to walk again. Thru physical rehab and exercises consistently, I'm hiking again. My right leg is still somewhat slow, and I can only average a few miles a day, but I don't care. Last October I spent 3 days and 2 nights on the AT here in MA. It was great. As folks have said in previous posts, conditioning is the key. Cardio wise and strength wise I am in better shape than I ever have been. Exercise and practice hikes pay off when you hit the trail. All the best to you!

pahillbillybear
05-11-2009, 20:32
I have never completed a thru hike although I will be headed for springer 04/2014. However, I am overweight. My knees are bad. They are fine at 190 and terrible at 250. Solution. Lose weight.

Kanati
05-11-2009, 21:39
I had a stroke back in July 2007 which left my right side useless. I had to learn how to use my right arm and hand again, and learn how to walk again. Thru physical rehab and exercises consistently, I'm hiking again. My right leg is still somewhat slow, and I can only average a few miles a day, but I don't care. Last October I spent 3 days and 2 nights on the AT here in MA. It was great. As folks have said in previous posts, conditioning is the key. Cardio wise and strength wise I am in better shape than I ever have been. Exercise and practice hikes pay off when you hit the trail. All the best to you!

Congratulations to you Surplusman. It must have taken a tremendous amount of intestinal fortitude to work your way back so far. We have a dear friend, in fact my wife and I are her god parents, who had a dibilating stroke at 34 and her right side is almost useless. She was also left with speech impaired and she has difficulties with thought processes. It pains us so much to see her this way. She is a former Mrs. Tennessee.

usmcvet51
09-02-2009, 14:39
It's up to you and it's a tough choice,but should you decide to go for it ,let me know,I'm looking for a partner to give me a push when needed and I'll do the same if ask. keep eachother motivated.

Lyle
09-02-2009, 14:50
I started at Springer with a bad toe and a thigh hurting. Pains come and go.

Good point. We all have pain. As long as the pain is moving around from day to day, it's normal.

Dogwood
09-02-2009, 15:11
Get your footwear dialed in! Use after market orthotics if they help. You can't go anywhere without good tires.

Reread Lyle and Many Walks posts.

You don't say what you feel is at issue with your legs. If joints are a problem there are some supplements that help a lot of hikers. Glucoasime, chondroitin, MSM, and Hyaluronic Acid are some of the major ones you may possibly want to explore, even before you start hiking Some others that support joints or are anti-inflammatories: Boswellia serrata, Turmeric, Arnica, White Willow, Cayenne, Hydrolyzed Collagen, SaMe, Pycogenol and foods or supplments that are high in Omega fatty acids.

neighbor dave
09-02-2009, 15:19
nimblewill says it best, it's all in yer head;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpXDPndON6A

Dogwood
09-02-2009, 15:40
Neighbor Dave, what are you doing posting in the afternoon when you should be pounding nails and chomping wood grinding out the house payment? What are you becoming, a hiking bum like me?

Snowleopard
09-02-2009, 20:48
Find out from your doctor or a physical therapist what are the best exercises for your specific injuries or weak spots. Then do them religiously. I've been slacking off on my knee exercises and hip stretches lately. When I do them my joints are almost better (operating at 90% instead of 60%). My exercises may not help you, but the right exercises for you might help.

Other than that, start walking and work on keeping your pack light.

BrianLe
09-03-2009, 12:08
Hey Neighbor Dave, how are things? I'm thinking of doing the AT next year with a Feb start. Lucky and J.B. are both on the CDT now (Lucky SOBO, J.B. NOBO), both doing fine as far as I know (neither of them keeps a journal). My wife has some 2010 Fall plans that made the CDT seem like too much for next year, and I've not done the AT so ...

Regards to Chickety.

Brian Lewis / Gadget PCT '08

BrianLe
09-03-2009, 12:16
Oops, apologies, I shouldn't be posting with no thread-related content (!), so here's something I guess ...

I reckon that the height of trail wisdom is knowing when to listen to your body, and when to tell it to shut the hell up. Sorting between those two options in different situations is tough, I certainly still get it wrong, but experience and being in tune with your body (paying attention) definitely help.

So sometimes "just keep walking" is the right answer, sometimes it's not, ultimately only you can decide which is which.

Kerosene
09-03-2009, 15:52
Has anyone hiked long sections (100+ miles) with an unloading knee brace? I just got fitted for a custom DonJoy brace that "unloads" weight from the medial knee compartment to the outside of the knee where I have sufficient cartilage. I've been wearing the brace for walking outside a mile at a time, but I have a hard time believing that I'll be able to put up with it for 12-15 miles a day due to the constant pressure on the outside of the knee plus chafing plus heat. I've got a Lycra sleeve that might help a bit, but that doesn't provide much padding.

SawnieRobertson
09-03-2009, 16:15
Oh, Kerosene, I do hear you. I am thinking that maybe I can reduce other gear weight and just carry the dadgum thing in my pack until I reach my destination for the day, at which time I'll put it on. Maybe that will get me through it. A little pain is okay, but, if there is a real breakdown, it could ruin everything.--Kinnickinic