PDA

View Full Version : first backpacking trip

Brittany1
04-23-2009, 18:12
im going on my first backpacking trip in a couple of weeks. its a week long trip. but the last couple days i will be having my period. ive kept track of my period and it comes the same time every month. ive herd that my period might not even come because of the hike and being on my feet all day. also been looking at bring tampax compak. any information on experience or any suggestions?!?! thank you.

mindi
04-24-2009, 19:47
It can do all sorts of crazy things when you are doing a lot of hiking, including coming early. I would maybe use some liners just in case. Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll hold off until after your trip!

I use the ob tampons without the applicator..less trash to pack out that way. Just make sure you wash and sanitize your hands really well first. Good luck and have fun!

Blissful
04-25-2009, 22:42
Yeah periods can get really messed up on hikes. I've seen them delayed, early, and see them go on for a few weeks. But best bet it to prepare for it no matter what and taking tampons is a good idea (along with Advil).

fancyfeet
04-26-2009, 01:29
Also a good idea to bring some feminine wipes, like Summer's Eve, and extra ziploc bags for disposal. Oh, make sure you have chocolate available, too. Lots of chocolate. :)
Otherwise, don't worry. It's not too big of a hassle. Have a wonderful time.

Bear Cables
04-26-2009, 15:20
For the years before menopause...every time I went on a backpacking trip, my period started. Always, even if it wasn't due! Always be prepared. "santi bag". Mine was a small green stuff sack with tampons, extra ziplock bags and baby wipes. I found that the physical exertion of the hike controlled cramps.

Lilred
04-26-2009, 23:46
I always pack pieces of aluminum foil to wrap things up with.

2011_thruhiker
04-28-2009, 13:15
For my santi bags-I also keep a teaspoon of cat litter in the zip lock bag I am using for disposal of my santiary waste to cut down the odor. Works well....

LaurieAnn
05-05-2009, 16:41
It still amazes me that women use things that they have to pack out like tampons and such when the Diva Cup is a great product.

I know removing and emptying a cup sounds gross but really it's much cleaner than dealing with the waste you have to pack out using other methods. It doesn't sit up high like a tampon, doesn't cause TSS, doesn't ever leak, and it totally comfortable if used properly (if it is uncomfortable you have it inserted too high or too low.)

The Diva Cup is super simple to clean - even on hiking trips and unlike tampons you can actually wear it when you expect your period instead of waiting for it to arrive. You can also wear it for up to 12 hours without issue.

Before someone says it causes bladder and other infections - it doesn't. Menses doesn't attract bears either - that's a long time myth. It's made out of surgical silicone so those allergic to latex rubber won't have an issue.

While it does cost about $40 Canadian upfront it will also save you a great deal in the long run.

If you like I can post my review on it and also a link to their website.

mindi
05-10-2009, 23:25
I sure wish I could use one..unfortunately my anatomy doesn't allow it :(.

LaurieAnn
05-12-2009, 17:46
I sure wish I could use one..unfortunately my anatomy doesn't allow it :(.

Mindi - I'm not sure I understand and I am sure it is too personal to discuss. What I can say that this works with people who can't use things like tampons.

Erin
05-12-2009, 20:51
Check the female forum. There is ton of helpful info on all the options. You will not skip your "monthly bill" over one trip. Pack them in in something that stays dry. Dig out your daiy alloment and keep them handy and dry. Pack all out in a no see thru bag, no big deal. Just take your supplies, hand sanizer, baggie or whatever and enjoy your trip. Minor hassle, but no problem.

modiyooch
05-12-2009, 21:02
things that I have learned.
1. it will come
2. during menopause; it basically comes every time I plan to go out of town whether its backpacking or road trip
3. diva cup DID NOT work for me and backpacking is not the time to experiment with a new product. Thank God for the Eckville shelter with running water.