PDA

View Full Version : Moreland Gap Shelter

Former Admin
10-19-2002, 12:32
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Moreland Gap Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

chris
10-21-2002, 12:12
The water source is a long ways down a steep hill. Not what I wanted to run in to after a 23 or so mile, rough day from Overmountain. Standard shelter design.

Hillbilly
07-25-2003, 13:27
Moreland Gap shelter (at least on the map) looks like your basic "only port in a storm" in the area between State 19 and Dennis Cove....

If anyone has a good alternate (for tent) on this stretch, let us know....PS, we've heard there are more than the average number of 'unfriendlies' in the neighborhood on this section....comments?

Lone Wolf
07-25-2003, 13:32
There are no more "unfriendlies" in this area than there are in any other state the AT goes through. There were problems over 10 years ago in that section.

cascader
05-30-2006, 20:43
This is a fine little shelter, pretty clean b/c it's so remote (tho' it's indeed that cinder-block, plywood floor, and tin roof design you see in this part of the Trail).. It's in a pretty, woodsy spot. Some nice campsites around it--I tented nearby and had a great evening and night. The walk down to the spring isn't that bad if you have a collapsible canteen or something so you only have to do it once.

Hikerhead
05-30-2006, 21:16
Moreland Gap shelter (at least on the map) looks like your basic "only port in a storm" in the area between State 19 and Dennis Cove....

If anyone has a good alternate (for tent) on this stretch, let us know....PS, we've heard there are more than the average number of 'unfriendlies' in the neighborhood on this section....comments?

There's a new shelter around Jones Falls, I believe it's been completed.

Also, a couple of nice campsites down around the Elk River.