PDA

View Full Version : Mt Greylock Road and Bascom Lodge (Mass)

Cosmo
04-24-2009, 11:23
Work is virtually complete on the rehabilitation of the Mt Greylock Summit Rd that has been closed for the past two seasons. The road is expected to open to public traffic around May 21st (weather permitting).

The State has also found a long term curator for Bascom Lodge on the summit of Mt Greylock. Here is the official press release: http://www.mass.gov/portal/gog_cache.jsp?q=cache:ak0tlTgRpYUJ:www.mass.gov/dcr/news/2009/pr09-4-3.pdf+bascom&access=p&output=xml_no_dtd&ie=UTF-8&client=mgov&site=EOEAxDCRx&proxystylesheet=mgov&oe=UTF-8

The Mt. Greylock Advisory Council (of which I am a member) met the curators last evening. Some highlights of the curator's plan include a casual cafe, links to cultural events in the Berkshires (including lectures and presentations from local artists and naturalists). Weekends are planned to be "a bit more upscale". The curators said they welcome the hiker component as part of their clientele, but would not be specific about any low cost overnight accommodations at this time.

The historic components of the lodge will be preserved, renovations will start on the main floor and later include the upper floor overnight accommodation areas. If all goes as planned, the lodge will be open in early July, with work ongoing throughout the season.

My personal impression is that they know what they are doing and have sucessful prior experience in the hospitality business. They may not be aware of how limited their options are regarding the length of a season and the difficulties of renovating the building.

I'm optimistic that they will eventually do well and they understand that although hikers are a small part of their business, they are an important part of the mountain's cultural scene. Still, I would not anticipate many special services specifically for hikers, and it's pretty clear to me that the price of meals and accommodations will be higher than before.

Cosmo

rickb
04-24-2009, 18:40
Work is virtually complete on the rehabilitation of the Mt Greylock Summit Rd that has been closed for the past two seasons. The road is expected to open to public traffic around May 21st (weather permitting).

Any idea when/if the hang gliders will be out doing their thing?

Most weekends or only now and then?

pknight212
05-21-2009, 00:39
still on schedule for this week/weekend? Was planning a 20 miler up to greylock on saturday or sunday and going to have my ride meet me at the summit. That would kinda suck if i had to turn around and walk back down after 20 miles :p

Cosmo
05-21-2009, 09:25
The road is expected to be open by Saturday the 23rd. Only open from the Rockwell Rd (Lanesboro, MA) end. The north side (North Adams, MA) is still closed for tree work removing ice storm damage. Expect lots of traffic.

AT ice storm damage is pretty much cleaned up, should be smooth sailing.

Cosmo

Cosmo
05-21-2009, 09:41
Here is the latest news about Mt Greylock and the Lodge, from the local paper:

ADAMS — The reopening of Mount Greylock will be celebrated this Friday as the state's highest peak will once again be opened to vehicle traffic after two years of being closed.
"We have quite a show planned," said state Department of Conservation and Recreation spokesperson Wendy Fox.
Starting at 2 p.m. at the Mount Greylock State Reservation Visitor's Center, Gov. Deval L. Patrick will cut the ribbon on the newly repaired roads with DCR Commissioner Rick Sullivan, state Sen. Benjamin B. Downing, and Reps. Daniel E. Bosley and Dennis Guyer.
The mountain closed early 2007 for the overhaul of the 13.5 miles of Rockwell, Notch and Summit Roads. The contractor, J.H. Maxymillian Inc. of Pittsfield won the bid to do the work in late 2006 and requested all three roads be closed at once, so the work could be done faster. The $14 million worth of repairs included rebuilding of scenic overlooks, stone walls, installation of septic lines, and repair of the drainage system.
Friday's festivities will also include a caravan of antique cars heading to the top of the mountain courtesy of the local motor club, The Piston Poppers and a 21 gun salute from the American Legion Post #160 from Adams. The C.T. Plunkett Elementary School will sing the Star Spangled Banner and America the Beautiful along with the Berkshire Highlanders to provide bagpipe music.
Greylock's reopening
Advertisement

coincides with DCR's decision to give the historic curatorship of Bascom Lodge to John Dudek, Peter Dudek and Brad Parsons. The lease on the 5,800-square-foot, 72-year-old lodge is expected to run 25 to 30 years. The group's plans call for recreating the original 1930s look and feel of the lodge through period furniture and decorations and a revamp of the food service on site. The group will offer two dining options; a casual cafe to meet the needs of hikers, tourists and day visitors and an evening, weekend-only restaurant in the enclosed porch for fancier fair.

Renovations on the lodge will take place mostly in the off season so that it does not hinder visitors from using the lodge. They hope to open it for business some time in June, after the state has finished putting in a new heating system.

Phoenix7
05-23-2009, 10:09
I stayed in the lodge doing a section hike in '89. Beautiful place indeed.

buckwheat
05-24-2009, 12:04
The reopening of Mount Greylock will be celebrated this Friday as the state's highest peak will once again be opened to vehicle traffic after two years of being closed.

Any chance someone can turn the water on at the summit?

I realize that the Lodge is being renovated, however ... trails are open, and people are summitting, expecting a water supply at the top.

Luckily, I found some workers who kindly gave me some of their spare Gatorade's.

Even an external tap with a water hose attached would be sufficient.

Cosmo
05-25-2009, 07:49
Since the road work began two years ago and until the lodge is open, there is no reliable water at the summit. Closest source is about a 1.5m south of the summit where several streams cross the AT on Saddleball Mtn.

Cosmo

Blue Jay
05-25-2009, 07:59
I realize that the Lodge is being renovated, however ... trails are open, and people are summitting, expecting a water supply at the top.

There is very good water at the shelters on both sides of the mountain, I stayed in them a few days ago. If you are driving put some water in your car. Cosmo and his crew did an amazing job clearing the trail.

buckwheat
05-25-2009, 09:28
Since the road work began two years ago and until the lodge is open, there is no reliable water at the summit. Closest source is about a 1.5m south of the summit where several streams cross the AT on Saddleball Mtn.

Cosmo

Cosmo,

Great job on the trails.

With all due respect, however, there seems to be plenty of reliable water at the summit ... if only the state of Massachusetts will turn it on and attach a hose to a faucet.

People are climbing the mountain because the mountain is not closed.

I spoke with a park ranger at the summit who expressed this exact frustration to me. He lamented the fact that there is plenty of water at the Bascombe Lodge. Only nobody will turn it on so that hikers can use it. Not sure if he has inside info, but that's the story he was telling.

I was certainly expecting to find water. Many of the other hikers that I spoke with at the summit were also seeking water, and expecting it to be there.

Can shed light on why the exterior water sources on the Bascomb Lodge have been shut off?

Thanks,
Buckwheat

Rouen
05-25-2009, 09:52
The road opened on Friday, I believe someone has stepped up to lease the Bascom Lodge as well. Once they start repairing the lodge they will likely turn the water on.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_12435677?IADID=Search-www.berkshireeagle.com-www.berkshireeagle.com