PDA

View Full Version : how's my gear? any suggestions?

volks-man
04-24-2009, 22:00
hello all,

been perusing the site for a day or two. there is lots of information!!!

i have not yet attempted the AT. i have been hiking a section or two at a time of pennsylvania's Mid State Trail.

i was wondering if anyone would care to glance at my gear list and suggest areas for improvement bearing in mind a low budget.

the basic list:

mountainsmith external frame pack (i only use external).
quest 40* mummy
fleece bag liner
ozark trail youth tent (super light, $20.00, big enough for me and gear)
sweetwater filtration pump
mini stainless multitool (very tiny, pliers and scissors, only a few ounces)
tiny roll duct tape
waterproof matches in a waterproof container
small air horn
msr pocket rocket stove
led headlight 15 hours on 3 lithium aaa battery
$.99 emergency rain poncho
swissgear aluminum hiking pole
reebok stretchy moisture evacuating shorts (anti chaffing device :) )
hi-tech shoes, v-light low top hikers

depending on the hike, some of that stuff stays home.:)

i would like to get a cheap, light, non inflating sleep pad just to insulate me from the ground but have not looked in to any yet. the hi-tech shoes have developed a curl toe situation. i feel like i have elf shoes on. any suggestions regarding lightweight, board-lasted, waterproof low tops are especially appreciated!

thanks for any suggestions you may have. see you on the trails!
v

Lyle
04-24-2009, 22:28
Hello, and Welcome.

Looks like you have a pretty unconventional gear list, but if it's been working for you, then no problem. You might want to check out the articles listed on the "Home" page. There are some dealing with "low-budget gear". You may get some new ideas there.

For right now, I'll just toss out a few thoughts. Just keep in mind, there is no right answer, and if what you have has worked, then more power to you. Summer hiking is pretty forgiving, if you wish to do early or late season, paying closer attention to your gear would be advisable.

hello all,

been perusing the site for a day or two. there is lots of information!!!

i have not yet attempted the AT. i have been hiking a section or two at a time of pennsylvania's Mid State Trail.

i was wondering if anyone would care to glance at my gear list and suggest areas for improvement bearing in mind a low budget.

the basic list:

mountainsmith external frame pack (i only use external).
quest 40* mummy
fleece bag liner
When the time comes, it is usually lighter to just get a bag that is adequate for the temps you hike in. A great budget bag is the Campmore 20* down bag for about $119.
ozark trail youth tent (super light, $20.00, big enough for me and gear)
If this keeps you dry, great. If I were getting into shoulder season (fall/spring) I may feel more secure with a bit higher quality shelter. A tarp can be had for about $60 and would give you lots of dependable options once you learn to use it - not hard to learn.
sweetwater filtration pump
AquaMira is lighter and more compact
mini stainless multitool (very tiny, pliers and scissors, only a few ounces)
tiny roll duct tape
Just wrapping some duct tape around a hiking pole or pack frame may save you some bulk and weight
waterproof matches in a waterproof container
small air horn
???? For bear? not really needed. For personal safety in case of emergency? a whistle is lighter and won't run out of air till you do.
msr pocket rocket stove
Home made alcohol is lighter and cheaper
led headlight 15 hours on 3 lithium aaa battery
$.99 emergency rain poncho
Won't hold up well to brush. DriDucks (similar to and made by FroggToggs but much cheaper) would be more durable
swissgear aluminum hiking pole
reebok stretchy moisture evacuating shorts (anti chaffing device :) )
hi-tech shoes, v-light low top hikers

depending on the hike, some of that stuff stays home.:)

i would like to get a cheap, light, non inflating sleep pad just to insulate me from the ground but have not looked in to any yet.Cheap blue foam from K-mart or Wally World will work as well as anything the hi-tech shoes have developed a curl toe situation. i feel like i have elf shoes on. any suggestions regarding lightweight, board-lasted, waterproof low tops are especially appreciated!
I really like my Vasque Blur trail running shoes. Can get last year's model for around $69 at Campmore. They come in medium and wide widths. They also make a waterproof model, but it's more expensive. Waterproof isn't very useful in a low cut shoe, any significant water will just go over the top. Non-waterproof will dry much quicker once they are wet. Six of one, half dozen of the other. For me it's not worth the extra money.
thanks for any suggestions you may have. see you on the trails!
v

Here's the link for the cheap gear article: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=206678#post206678

Have FUN!!!

volks-man
04-25-2009, 07:42
Hello, and Welcome.

Looks like you have a pretty unconventional gear list, but if it's been working for you, then no problem. You might want to check out the articles listed on the "Home" page. There are some dealing with "low-budget gear". You may get some new ideas there.

For right now, I'll just toss out a few thoughts. Just keep in mind, there is no right answer, and if what you have has worked, then more power to you. Summer hiking is pretty forgiving, if you wish to do early or late season, paying closer attention to your gear would be advisable.

Here's the link for the cheap gear article: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=206678#post206678

Have FUN!!!

thanks very much, lyle, for the pointers and the link!
yup, it is a mutt of a gear list but it is all on the cheap.;)

i usually hike october and april. i am hot natured (hence the external frame pack) and the 40 degree bag is usually adeqate... i reserve the liner for when the forcast dips below 40. i have been toying with the idea of replacing the mummy with a rectangle one. as for the tent and rain gear, i pick my days so that rain is unlikely (fingers crossed :) ).

i like the duct tape wrap idea, that never occured to me!
the cheap foam sleeper from wal-mart sounds fine to me too.

'the shoes! .... it's gotta be the shoes!' i will absolutely be checking out the vasques, probably merrils too from what i read here. the v-lites have been good for the dollar but they have some shortfalls that are increasing with age and use.

thanks again for the pointers.
if only spring and fall would last all year i could use all this gear more often!:cool:

Jayboflavin04
04-25-2009, 10:21
Something to keep in mind. It is sometimes better to spend a little more $$ up front and buy quality gear that will last. I would look at spending the most on sleeping bag,tent,and pack.

But as lyle said if this stuff works for you great! Have a great trip. I would replace that .99cent pocho tho.

Snowleopard
04-25-2009, 12:52
You need some warm clothes also, fleece jacket or wool sweater and hat. You can't count on good weather even if you pick your days. Hypothermia can be a real danger in a cold summer rain.

volks-man
04-25-2009, 13:08
Something to keep in mind. It is sometimes better to spend a little more $$ up front and buy quality gear that will last. I would look at spending the most on sleeping bag,tent,and pack.

But as lyle said if this stuff works for you great! Have a great trip. I would replace that .99cent pocho tho.

You need some warm clothes also, fleece jacket or wool sweater and hat. You can't count on good weather even if you pick your days. Hypothermia can be a real danger in a cold summer rain.
thanks guys!
about the poncho........
i usually bring that if the weather is supposed to be clear. i have a better rain pant and coat set that is about 1.5 lbs that i bring if the forcast is anything other than 100% clear.

i never thought about cold summer rains/hypothermia. good point! i do bring clothes and food with me, i just didn't list any of that mundane stuff.:)

i left a few other boring things off the list like my first-aid (some gauze, bandaids, ibuprofen and vicodin in zip lock bag) my ghetto fishing kit (tiny aluminum plate i rigged up with a fluke hook and 30 feet of line) and tiny pen-sized hand sanitizer and insect repellent.

thanks again whiteblaze community.

Panzer1
04-26-2009, 08:54
quest 40* mummy
fleece bag linerDepending on the time of year you go hiking, that may not be warm enough.

waterproof matches in a waterproof containerI would add a cigarette lighter.

small air hornyou won't need this.

$.99 emergency rain ponchoYou would be better off with a higher quality rain poncho.

i would like to get a cheap, light, non inflating sleep pad just to insulate me from the ground but have not looked in to any yet.try the Z-Lite http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/z-lite/product

led headlight 15 hours on 3 lithium aaa batteryMake sure its ok to use lithium batteries with you headlight as some headlights cannot use lithium batteries.

Also add:
trail map and compass,
nalgene bottle to attach to your water filter
dromlite water bag with hydration hose
kitchen sized trash bag to line the inside of your backpack to keep everything dry
small bar of hand soap
I don't see a cook set listed

Panzer

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 08:57
Ok here goes my gear list
Back pack (I use a 75+10) just under 6000 cubic inches
USGI Modular sleeping bag (the black intermediate with bivy)
4x6 tarp
ripstop nylon poncho (for rain gear and temp shelter)
First aid kit (I listed the items on the first aid post)
3 pairs smart wool socks
cheap nylon pants (I treat them with camp dry)
extra underwear
Stove (I use a handmade alcohol jet stove)
Fuel (I use HEAT)
2 quart canteen
2 liter camel bag (I know a lot of you think this is too much water most time only 1 is full, but sometimes you need a gallon)
pocket knife
multitool with knife
pot and pan
camp cup
utensils ( I like the ozark trail despite their weight)
rope (nothing thick but something that will hold a tarp and can hold my gear in a tree)
Toothbrush and toothpaste
camp soap
Shamwow (I know this is my first year usin the WOW but they are great, and you can buy them in stores now {wally world 6 bucks for just the orange, and walgreens for the whole set})
Sunglasses
Bug spray
Sunscreen (my sunscreen and bug spray are the same bottle)
cotton gloves (come in handy on cold mountains and when cooking)
Flashlight (I like the small led lights)
I don't use anything for cleaning my water, but 1 day I will buy a Steripen
ok I know I am forgetin a few things but for the most part thatr is it

Lyle
04-26-2009, 09:04
Ok here goes my gear list
Back pack (I use a 75+10) just under 6000 cubic inches
USGI Modular sleeping bag (the black intermediate with bivy)
4x6 tarp
ripstop nylon poncho (for rain gear and temp shelter)
First aid kit (I listed the items on the first aid post)
3 pairs smart wool socks
cheap nylon pants (I treat them with camp dry)
extra underwear
Stove (I use a handmade alcohol jet stove)
Fuel (I use HEAT)
2 quart canteen
2 liter camel bag (I know a lot of you think this is too much water most time only 1 is full, but sometimes you need a gallon)
pocket knife
multitool with knife
pot and pan
camp cup
utensils ( I like the ozark trail despite their weight)
rope (nothing thick but something that will hold a tarp and can hold my gear in a tree)
Toothbrush and toothpaste
camp soap
Shamwow (I know this is my first year usin the WOW but they are great, and you can buy them in stores now {wally world 6 bucks for just the orange, and walgreens for the whole set})
Sunglasses
Bug spray
Sunscreen (my sunscreen and bug spray are the same bottle)
cotton gloves (come in handy on cold mountains and when cooking)
Flashlight (I like the small led lights)
I don't use anything for cleaning my water, but 1 day I will buy a Steripen
ok I know I am forgetin a few things but for the most part thatr is it

Would be best to re-post this in a separate thread. Trying to critique two lists in a single thread will get too confusing. I'll look for your new thread before commenting further, but please do post it again. Just cut and paste so you don;t have to re-type.

volks-man
04-26-2009, 10:28
Depending on the time of year you go hiking, that may not be warm enough.
only in april and october so far. been pretty good thus far.
I would add a cigarette lighter.
but i don't smoke:)

You would be better off with a higher quality rain poncho.
see above post
try the Z-Lite http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/z-lite/product
thanks for the link!
Make sure its ok to use lithium batteries with you headlight as some headlights cannot use lithium batteries.
never checked but it has been working

Also add:
trail map and compass, i copy the map and guide for every trip. got compass on waterproof match container
nalgene bottle to attach to your water filter ????
dromlite water bag with hydration hose ????
kitchen sized trash bag to line the inside of your backpack to keep everything dry good idear!
small bar of hand soap
I don't see a cook set listed i sometimes carry a stainless military cup, if i plan to cook. i usually don't cookk though.

Panzer
thank for the pointers panzer.
i see you are in bucks? i have people in levittown.

ki0eh
04-26-2009, 17:08
Since you're hiking the MST = Metric System Trail, you also need the handy scale for Canadian topo maps referenced on page 13 of the 11th edition MST Guide. :D

Would love to see some of your trip reports.

It was the MST that finally convinced me to invest in good leather "waffle stomper" boots vs. the rocks. Although it's been a few years ago now, perhaps I should look into hard soled trailrunner type shoes again

volks-man
04-26-2009, 19:49
Since you're hiking the MST = Metric System Trail, you also need the handy scale for Canadian topo maps referenced on page 13 of the 11th edition MST Guide. :D

Would love to see some of your trip reports.

It was the MST that finally convinced me to invest in good leather "waffle stomper" boots vs. the rocks. Although it's been a few years ago now, perhaps I should look into hard soled trailrunner type shoes again

guide book? we don't need no stinking guidebooks!!!!!:) i have the eleventh edition already. the new maps are a mixed bag......... less confusing with topo less topo lines but less detail overall.

the blazes are disappearing and the trail hard to follow in some of the more demanding and remote spots but nothing too terrible.

trip reports? hows about a link to them :) http://www.youtube.com/user/volksmanhiking

i was practicing for my first hike at home (flat-land) on some r-r tracks. when i got home my feet were dying after 4 miles.
no laughing: i made up some insoles for my columbias out of aluminum plate around 3/32 thick (use stock insole for pattern). worked great as rock guards! but after only 26 miles they were cracking from the stress. perhaps i should have annealed it better?:cool:

ki0eh
04-28-2009, 21:19
I bought some Columbia trailrunners when I was out west a few years ago and needed new shoes in a hurry due to a blowout. I'm not exactly a metalworker but some 1/4 inch steel plate would probably make those MST ready.

I bought some "Hoffman Lineman Hikers" for trail and other work last year. (Hey, they were lighter than the Red Wing logger boots I was using! ;) ) Those have double steel shanks (and steel toes good for kicking some UL's ass, or something like that). Hoffman from Idaho said they were made in USA - they sure were, contract manufactured by Cove Shoe in Martinsburg, PA in fact. Still not too sure I'd backpack in those.

volks-man
04-29-2009, 20:18
I bought some Columbia trailrunners when I was out west a few years ago and needed new shoes in a hurry due to a blowout. I'm not exactly a metalworker but some 1/4 inch steel plate would probably make those MST ready.

I bought some "Hoffman Lineman Hikers" for trail and other work last year. (Hey, they were lighter than the Red Wing logger boots I was using! ;) ) Those have double steel shanks (and steel toes good for kicking some UL's ass, or something like that). Hoffman from Idaho said they were made in USA - they sure were, contract manufactured by Cove Shoe in Martinsburg, PA in fact. Still not too sure I'd backpack in those.

according to what i am reading here at whiteblaze, trail runners seem to be the way to go for the AT. coming from an MST guy what would you use for MST and pennsylvania's AT? the hi-tecs are turning elf-y on me and it is starting to bother my foot at the creases. my requirements in a shoe are simple: light, no stone bruising, low-top, waterproof if i can get it, and no elf shoe syndrome after 60 or so miles. :)

i never weighed the aluminum insoles but, they appeared to weigh nothing in my hands. light and effective!
i am no metal worker either but i'd bet that the right amount of annealing would cure the cracking problem.

ki0eh
04-29-2009, 21:44
I just don't use low-top shoes on the rocks, though I'm certainly aware others do. Maybe re-post your question in a new thread, with a title like "Low-top shoes for PA?" - given how much stuff there is on WB, it's more likely that a few other PA WB-ers will see your query with a different thread title.

Also, wondering if you might be interested in posting a link to your videos in a thread like http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39063 You've got some neat stuff there and in that thread others might see too.

Wags
04-30-2009, 00:01
i've heard of guys using the handle on a spoon, bent and shaped into the footbox of the toe of running sneakers for toe guards, but i'm too sissy to try it

i wear low tops in pa. i alternate b/t a pair of low cut vasques and montrail hardrocks