PDA

View Full Version : big agnes sleeping system

simon
04-24-2009, 22:43
I read a few past postings on the big agnes sleeping systems. I was wondering what if any other opinions. I have a friend considering buying one.

Jim Adams
04-24-2009, 22:49
I've been sleeping on my thermorest, on snow with my feet tucked into the foot box of my unzipped 0* down bag and it pulled over me like a quilt. I am comfortable down to about 10* with this system. I've been considering the BA system for a while but I haven't tried it either.

geek

Tinker
04-24-2009, 22:55
I owned a Stephenson sleeping bag and pad, probably the inspiration for Big Agnes. The pad fits into a sleeve in the bottom, forming both the cushion and insulation (the Stephenson has a down filled air mattress). The positives are that you'll never slide off your pad and that you'll save weight because you won't be carting the insulation weight of a sleeping bag bottom only to have it crush against your pad, and become essentially useless, at night.
The downside is that the bag has to be marginally bigger to allow you to sleep on your side and draw your knees up if you desire, leaving extra interior space for your body to warm up - not as efficient as a mummy bag, and the hood doesn't work as well if you're sleeping on your side (Stephenson has a very innovative hood design to minimize this problem). In short, they're pretty ideal for a back sleeper, less so for a side sleeper.

Wags
04-24-2009, 22:59
i don't know why people think the insulation on the bottom of teh bag is useless, honestly. any time i pull up my knees, or roll to my side, or generally have any part of me not flat touching the ground (basically anything other than part of my head, the top of my back, a little of my middle back, my butt, some parts of my legs, and my heels) that space gets lofted back up.

Tinker
04-24-2009, 23:08
i don't know why people think the insulation on the bottom of teh bag is useless, honestly. any time i pull up my knees, or roll to my side, or generally have any part of me not flat touching the ground (basically anything other than part of my head, the top of my back, a little of my middle back, my butt, some parts of my legs, and my heels) that space gets lofted back up.

It isn't useless, it's just weight that you wouldn't need to carry if you used a bag with a built in pad.

medicjimr
04-24-2009, 23:39
Well from experience I would tell your friend the concept is nice but temp ratings way off I am 6' 230 lbs have the 15 degree BA synthetic with the insulated air core mattress and was cold at 40 degrees. It doesn't pack down small which if it kept me warm I wouldn't mind it. I am going to save up again for a MontBell hugger

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 09:06
I said it b4 and will say it again lol I LOVE THE USGI MODULAR SLEEPING BAGS!!! I have camped in all climates and weather and have never been let down. There are lighter bags out there, but I haven't found anything I liked more

jaywalke
04-26-2009, 09:16
I've been sleeping on my thermorest, on snow with my feet tucked into the foot box of my unzipped 0* down bag and it pulled over me like a quilt.

I'd been sleeping the same way, but I've recently switched to a BA insulated mummy pad. The improvement in comfort is staggering. My last trip out, I tossed and turned less and woke up once during the night rather than a dozen times.

The BA bags do seem to be heavy for their ratings, and several on WB have said that they don't measure up in the cold. For now I'll continue using my bags over the top as a quilt (Western Mountaineering Iroquois 38 degree late spring through early fall, and a WM Antelope 5 degree in winter) but if I'm feeling flush I think that a 20-degree Nunatak bag may pair well with the BA pad.

When I feel the need for a hood (which is not often) I roll on my side, pull the WM hood over my whole head, and tuck and burrow until I have a breathing hole.

Tom Murphy
04-29-2009, 16:20
The BA system works but their ratings are a bit optimistic to me.

I have the BA same set-up as MEDICJINR (semi-mummy, synthetic with insulated aircore - ENCAMPMENT model - rated by BA for 15 deg F).

For me, the ENCAMPMENT is a good three season bag for New England. IMO, it is good to 32 deg F without help.

I do wish had bought the down version of this bag instead. You have some room in this bag to move around but the hood makes side sleeping a problem.

I have used this bag down to 5 deg F but that was really, really pushing it. I had a z-rest CCF pad under the insulated aircore pad and I wore heavy weight wool tops and bottoms, balaclava, wool hat, glove liners, and both sets of wool socks. I was not comfortably warm but I did sleep.

When I can buy more toys, I am planning on buying a BA, mummy-cut, down bag to layer with the ENCAMPMENT for winter backpacking.

I wish the all sleeping bag manufacturers would adopt the EU bag temp rating standards.

flemdawg1
04-29-2009, 17:21
I like my 15 deg Crater. I slept fine into the mid 20s in the Smokies w/ it (wore knit hat, base layer, socks and in a tent). Is it perfect? No. I'm also a side sleeper and it works pretty well for that.

Blissful
04-29-2009, 20:23
Can't go wrong with a BA insulated air core.

My hubby likes his BA zirkle, he's a big guy.

jrnj5k
04-29-2009, 20:48
They are good in some ways and not so good in others.

Pros:
Insulation
Comfort

Cons:
Potential to spring a leak
Heavy Weight

Desert Reprobate
04-29-2009, 22:19
I like mine. It takes a little getting used to not being able to sit up in the sleeping bag though. I've had mine down to low 30s and was warm. It is a 15 degree bag.

deadhorsejoe
04-29-2009, 23:28
I have a BA lost ranger (15 degree) and a BA yampa (40 degree) and an air core and an insulated air core. In my experience the BA bags are about 10 degrees to low. For me the lost ranger is really a 25 degree at best with the insulated air core. The yampa as an over bag for the lost ranger coupled with the insulated air core has kept me warm down to around 12 degrees. The BA sleep system works well for me. Not the lightest bags but well made, very comfortable pads and BA stands behind their product.

barefoot
04-30-2009, 08:57
If anyone is looking for a BA zero degree bag I have one for sell in that forum!