PDA

View Full Version : What's in your first aid kit?

Ridgeline
04-25-2009, 13:44
I'm starting to put together my first aid kit and I'm just wondering what you guys have in yours(I've already read the article on a good first aid kit...I'm just curious about people's individual kits)

darkage
04-25-2009, 14:14
Simple, non critical items ... Ace bandage for pressure/knee's ... Cleaning wipes to clean area ... Butterfly bandages to close gashs requiring stitches .... Items for foot care, little powder .. mole skin ... extra mini bic for emergency .. Cream of cortozone or neosporin ... Thats about all i carry ... specially on the A.T ... you're not far from help if something serious goes down. I'm sure there's a few more items in my kit, i just didn't wanna pull it out and look ... but thats about it i think. "Scisser's and knife would be on my multi tool"

chiefduffy
04-25-2009, 16:44
FirstAid Kit: bandaids, large needle, spare bic lighter, aspirin, benedryl, neosporin. I carry first aid items: Ibuprofin, Rolaids, prescribed medicine, duct tape, alcohol, dental floss seperately.

Pacific Tortuga
04-25-2009, 16:48
FirstAid Kit: bandaids, large needle, spare bic lighter, aspirin, benedryl, neosporin. I carry first aid items: Ibuprofin, Rolaids, prescribed medicine, duct tape, alcohol, dental floss seperately.

I like it, if you can add some training in there it would be well worth its weight.

barefoot
04-25-2009, 18:07
i would add some burn gel. i've been on multiple trips where people have burned themselves mainly with boiling water and the sun

Turtlehiker
04-25-2009, 18:38
add in Moleskin, Gauze pads, 1/2 Roll of cloth atheletic tape, two surgical gloves(in case I mess up my hand and need to keep it dry and clean)

rickb
04-25-2009, 19:07
Duplicate post deleted.

Wags
04-25-2009, 19:15
two surgical gloves(in case I mess up my hand and need to keep it dry and clean)

i like that idea. also good in case i'd come upon someone bleeding and in need of help. no way i'm sticking my hands into someone i don't know

volks-man
04-25-2009, 19:51
gauze, neosporin, bandaids, swabs, ibuprofen, vicodin.

bandaids cover the little stuff in critical places, like fingers.
gauze + duct tape in my pack = large gaping injury repairs.
swabs + hand sanitizer spray pen in pack = clean wounds.
ibuprofen for headaches and minor swelling reduction.
vicodin in case i break something bad while in a remote area and need to hike/limp out.

pliers scissors and knife are on tiny multi-tool.

atpaul
04-25-2009, 20:01
Super Glue. If you cut yourself bad enough to need stiches it works great. Plus you can fix other stuff with it, and its tiny.

zoidfu
04-25-2009, 20:21
My first aid kit consists of a bottle of whiskey and... that's it.

kayak karl
04-25-2009, 20:22
First-aid implies "aid before help gets there". most of what a hiker carries covers that. duct tape, rope. beyond that it is a personal decision. i carry Ambosol, Blood clotter capsule, and benydral. its a personal choice. you are not that far from help. many may feel im wrong, a cell phone my be your best FIRST-AID in an emergency

take-a-knee
04-25-2009, 20:30
Super Glue. If you cut yourself bad enough to need stiches it works great. Plus you can fix other stuff with it, and its tiny.

Have you tried that dude? It may not work out like you'd planned. The regular superglue (the thin stuff) will run down inside the laceration/cut. When it does, you'll take up break dancing. The stuff they use in the ER is a gel.

atpaul
04-25-2009, 20:50
Have you tried that dude? It may not work out like you'd planned. The regular superglue (the thin stuff) will run down inside the laceration/cut. When it does, you'll take up break dancing. The stuff they use in the ER is a gel.

I tried. Its not great thats fo sure. If you pinch it shut and not glue your fingers to the cut it holds. Don't plan on using it again, but you know how that goes. If you want to beat your buddy to the next town use a little on his bag zipper in the morning:D

Engine
04-25-2009, 21:09
Assorted Band Aids, Tylenol, Ibuprofen, Benadryl and Neosporin. Maybe 2 ounces total.

Homer&Marje
04-26-2009, 00:39
I splurge on my med kit. It weighs about 1.5-2lbs and I will carry it with no problem.

Small scissors, tweezers, and nail clippers. Medical tape, Gauze pads, bandaids, tiger balm, Body Glide, Baby powder, prescription meds, rolaids, tylenol IBProfun and PM, lighter, emergency blanket and a wire saw.

Pretty extensive but I've used everything. Usually keep my TP in it too.

Homer&Marje
04-26-2009, 00:40
Meant to put this in there.

lucky luke
04-26-2009, 04:48
hi,

all i carry is some duck tape wrapped around water or fuel-bottle for multiple use, tp for multiple use, like bandaids in combination with duck-tape. a stockbottle of bachflower rescue remedy, and sun lotion if i go high in the mountains. leatherman micra, toothpaste and brush. thats it. worked for me for many years. might not be enough for people who have a tendency to hurt themselves...

happy trails
lucky luke

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 08:27
I look for first aid kits on sale year round, then take the items that I like. Currently I have, Alcohol wipes, cleaning wipes, antibiotic cream, Iodine wipes, burn cream, bandaids (small), gauze, sterile tape, ace bandage, tylenol (acetomenophine 500mg), snake bit kit, horseshoe needle (upholstery needle can be used to suture or fix gear), dental floss (for sewing me or my gear), and and extra lighter.

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 08:29
I forgot I also carry New Skin liquid bandage, it is prolly the heaviest thing in my kit, but it is great for sealing wounds, and more importantly it is great on blisters. Funny thing is I haven't gotten a blister in over a decade lol.

Homer&Marje
04-26-2009, 09:06
Forgot my duct tape that I have. How could I forget that.... I like that newskin stuff for small straight cuts, never tried it on blisters, and it's not good for wide open cuts or scrapes....burns like summabitch:D

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 09:47
I take duct tape too, but I don't have it in my kit lol. I tape it around my fuel bottle. I have heard that the new skin works good on chigger bites too but never tried that. The whole reason I started using it was for blisters though, but not on my feet. I started using it for bowling when I would get blisters on my thumb lol

HeartFire
04-26-2009, 12:04
I'm an ER nurse practitioner, I also teach wilderness first aid. My first aid kit is one large triangular bandage (I really should carry tow but I don't ) - this can be used as a gauze pad for bleeding wounds, to tie on splints, as a sling and several other uses. I have a small roll of duct tape, one or two safety pins - in use for other things like hanging socks to dry. And that's about it. You can use super glue to cover small cuts, but beware that they will most often get infected that way as the wound can't drain when it is 100% sealed over. Duct tape will serve as a butterfly bandage to close small wounds. Antiseptics are not necessary - good old soap and water, or just plain water will work, (I don't carry soap, but so have some wet wipes). I have a tiny 'repair' kit with me that includes a single edge razor blade with a sewing needle (large eye) scotch taped to the cardboard cover for it, and a bobbin of 'nymo' thread - this is nylon beading thread and is VERY VERY strong. Dental floss will wear quickly and break, this stuff will never break. It could be used for sewing cuts if really necessary, but it will certainly repair a backpack. It can also double as dental floss.
Oh, I do have about 10 inches of 1 inch wide sports tape - this is perfect for toes.

The most important thing about first aid in the 'back country' is knowing what to do, and knowing how to improvise, and adapt to the particular situation

HeartFire
04-26-2009, 12:08
Forgot to add, I also have a tiny eyeglass screw driver in my kit (I wear glasses) and I carry a tiny tweezers - these are more used for eyebrows, but could be used for splinters. and, I have one of the tiny leathermans that has a scissors and knife - the scissors are for toe nails, the knife for opening food packages etc.

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 12:39
I carry:
a glasses repair kit (with the screwdriver and all)
about 10 bandaids of varying sizes (most with Snoopy)
6 butter fly sutures
1 razor blade
First aid cream
Alcohol/disinfectant pad
1 hotel sewing kit (for pack and blisters)
Plenty of Ibuprofin, though I try not to take it very often
a couple NyQuil gelcaps
1 pack of tums
Little bit of gauze and medical tape
Duct tape
Some moleskins and a tiny pair of scissors
Small amount of sleeping pills (seriously, like 5- prescribed) just because I can't ever sleep for the first two nights, and sometimes other nights, and it sucks to hike after no sleep.

Deadeye
12-23-2009, 12:49
various bandaids (just a few), including butterflies
moleskin
some gauze pads
a roll of gauze
a little adhesive tape ( I have duct tape on my walking stick)
Ibuprofen, Asprin, Acetaminophen
Immodium
bactine wipes (they clean very well, and bandaids or tape will stick like crazy)
neosporin ointment
hydrocortisone creme
a tiny mirror (if you get something in your eye)
tolnaftate powder (jock itch treatement & prevention)

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 13:09
And tweezers, forgot (PA- ticks!)

I bring a mirror when I take my contacts.

Manwich
12-23-2009, 13:32
1 - Duct Tape
2 - Super Glue
3 - Gold Bond, Green

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 13:37
Oh, I bring gold bond as well. (I use blue and have used gold- what is green?)

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 13:37
And Technu for poison ivy in the summer.

DragonStar
12-23-2009, 13:40
various bandaids (just a few), including butterflies
moleskin
some gauze pads
a roll of gauze
a little adhesive tape ( I have duct tape on my walking stick)
Ibuprofen, Asprin, Acetaminophen
Immodium
bactine wipes (they clean very well, and bandaids or tape will stick like crazy)
neosporin ointment
hydrocortisone creme
a tiny mirror (if you get something in your eye)
tolnaftate powder (jock itch treatement & prevention)

I'm surprised it took this long for Immodium to show up on the list. Ibuprofen, burn cream, etc are nice and will definitely help you feel better in common situations, but Immodium is a must have. You may never need it. But when you need it you NEED it and I don't know of any backcountry substitutes.

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 13:47
Imodium (only two m's total). Didn't think of that...

Doctari
12-23-2009, 13:54
Mine is a tool / first aid kit: 10' duct tape, knife, tweezers, scissors (make sure they will cut Mole skin!!), Mole skin, 2 ~ 4x4s, 2 band aids, antibiotic cream, Pain killers, 4" Ace bandage, sunscreen. It all fits in a quart zip lock.

I also have a tiny multitool, but it is my pot lifter, so is "kitchen gear".

tintin
12-23-2009, 13:59
Iodine tincture is always the most valuable/used item in my med kit on any expedition I go on. I use it to treat water and as anti-sceptic for cuts/blisters. Included will also be the a wound dressing/bandaging kit, paracetamol, ibuprofen, rehydration salts (2 packets), anti-hystemine and Tums. I will also be carrying some anti-biotics just in case I get giardia.

I always carry a laminated card with the signs & symptoms of ailments I'll be susceptible to (hypothermia, snake bites, heat stroke, giardia etc), with treatment guides on each one. It's a great and easy reference tool, particularly in times of stress and anxiety.

If you are feeling unwell it may be wise to log what's going on using the SAMPLE checklist in case you have to get further help or in an emergency. It may even help you self-diagnose.

Signs & Symptoms
Allergies
Medication
Pertinent medical history
Last oral intake
Events leading up to (condition or emergency) & Environment

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 14:13
Nice list Tintin- I wear dogtags (literally, tags worn by dogs, not army tags) around my neck with my trailname, real name, blood type, and emergency contacts.

Just one question- doesn't real iodine mess with your digestive system? I think that's why they switched to iodide. (I'm not sure though, need to look it up.)

ShelterLeopard
12-23-2009, 14:14
And my address (on my dogtags).

I really like your list though Tintin- if someone found you passed out on trail, they'd know just what to do.

tintin
12-23-2009, 14:31
Just one question- doesn't real iodine mess with your digestive system? I think that's why they switched to iodide. (I'm not sure though, need to look it up.)

I used it with no problems for 6 months at the beginning of this year. Any use over 6 months is not advisory though. This is the common consensus in the UK expedition industry as far as I'm aware. Each to their own of course though. Main drawback is it's inability to kill giardia but hopefully with a bit of knowledge and luck, I'll avoid it.

I see many people are taking water filters. It gave me reason to look into it, but it's something I can always pick up along the way I guess.

I forgot anti-fungal cream on that list... for scrot rot more so than athletes foot (never seem to have a problem with the latter, but always the former... perhaps a little too much info!).

Manwich
12-23-2009, 15:11
Oh, I bring gold bond as well. (I use blue and have used gold- what is green?)

Medicated. Menthol in it. Lets just say it takes a certain special smeone to slap some on their nuts.

Tinker
12-23-2009, 16:37
I'm starting to put together my first aid kit and I'm just wondering what you guys have in yours(I've already read the article on a good first aid kit...I'm just curious about people's individual kits)
Half a dozen large band-aids (not the name brand ones).
Ibuprofin.
Small iodine bottle.
Neosporin Plus
Anbesol (for gums but works on bites and other pains as well).
For cuts big enough I could use my bandana.
Needle and floss for equipment could be used for stitches (OUCH!)
Does sunscreen count?

Connie
12-23-2009, 18:15
My present first aid kit includes: individually wrapped sterile gauze flats, non-stick gauze flats, Xeroform 1x4 "finger-size" burn bandages, surgical tape, self stick stretchy roller gauze bandage, small butterfly bandages, knuckle bandages, fingertip bandages, second skin moist pad, aspirin, Extra-Strength Excedrin, tiny kit bottle calamine lotion, triple antibiotic ointment, antiseptic towelette, benzoin tincture ampule, Moleskin, folding scissors, packet of sterile water for irrigating a wound, vial 3% USP hydrogen peroxide.

Doctari
12-23-2009, 19:18
Oh yea, forgot the Gold Bond. A real hike saver!!

A suggestion to have in the first aid kit between your ears: get some first aid training, the Red Cross offers a decent 2 day class that will give you the basics. If you choose to use a book, get one written after at least 2000. One written in the 1950s (or even newer) will have you putting a tourniquet on nearly everything. :eek:
Be prepared to use items not actually "First Aid items", some examples:
A stick or more & duct tape (with some padding?) for a sprain, dislocation or fracture.
Tear a tee for bandages, or a sling, or etc.
Duct tape to close a wound.
Tape broken finger or toe to 1 or more of it's neighbors as a splint.

bfitz
12-23-2009, 19:29
Anything that needs a bandaid doesn't really need anything. Anything that needs more than duct tape requires paramedics. So bring nothing. Except duct tape.

bfitz
12-23-2009, 19:29
Oh, and tough actin tinactin.

Mocs123
12-23-2009, 19:34
I carry:

8 Ibuprofen in a "button" ziplock
2 Benadryl in a "button" ziplock
2 Imodium in a "button" ziplock
3 feet of Leukotape P wrapped around a small section of straw
1 Single use Super Glue Tube
1 Single use Neosporin Packet
1 Alcohol Prep Pad
1 Safety Pin
1 Blister Bandage

All in a small ziplock bag

Total Weight 0.7oz

I also carry Purell repackaged in a mini dropper bottle that weighs 0.55oz that could be used in first aid if needed.

bfitz
12-23-2009, 19:44
Oh, I carry around 300 Ibuprofen, but that's in my food bag, not my first aid kit.

take-a-knee
12-23-2009, 20:54
Anything that needs a bandaid doesn't really need anything. Anything that needs more than duct tape requires paramedics. So bring nothing. Except duct tape.

That about says it. The only other thing you really NEED is maybe a little antibiotic ointment. A little prevention goes a long way.

white_russian
12-23-2009, 22:08
First aid kit no longer exists in my pack. It is replaced with "medical kit". I got so much damn prescription crap I got to carry around or else I end up going like an old MG caught on fire on the side of the road.

jbrecon2
12-28-2009, 00:55
gauze, neosporin, bandaids, swabs, ibuprofen, vicodin.

bandaids cover the little stuff in critical places, like fingers.
gauze + duct tape in my pack = large gaping injury repairs.
swabs + hand sanitizer spray pen in pack = clean wounds.
ibuprofen for headaches and minor swelling reduction.
vicodin in case i break something bad while in a remote area and need to hike/limp out.

pliers scissors and knife are on tiny multi-tool.

careful with the vicodin (hydrocodone) it is a controlled narcotic that is illegal to carry without a current prescription. if i had some i would probally carry it though. you just have to be careful becasue you run the risk of causing further damage by masking the symptoms of injuries and the natural warning response of your nervous system telling you not to move things a certain way ect ect. I brought a 7 day prednisone packet just in case i had gotten a bad case of poison ivy or something but never needed it during a 6 week section hike in virginia. for my thru hike this year.....

duct tape
a small thing of lotrim for crotch rot
alot of motrin
a brain full of Emergency and Critical Care knowledge

Doooglas
12-29-2009, 20:22
Adventure medical comprehensive.
Close to 3 lbs.
Where I live, I can't order a doctor, shuttle or pizza.

SGT Rock
12-29-2009, 20:35
http://hikinghq.net/gear/first_aid.html