PDA

View Full Version : Front Royal - what's there and where to stay?

10-K
04-25-2009, 14:33
I'll be starting at Harper's Ferry hiking SOBO to Rockfish Gap here pretty soon and I think I want to hitch into Front Royal before entering SNP.

I'm wondering if there is a good place to stay in Front Royal that is:

a) close to some kind of resturant
b) close to a grocery store
c) has a washing machine and dryer

Also - I know this is kind of like a "what will the weather be like in February?" question, but historically, is it difficult to hitch in and out of FR?

BONUS ROUND: Same questions for Luray. ;-)

Kanati
04-25-2009, 22:01
The Lutheran Church offered a hostel last year in their fellowship hall. Kroger is just down the street a couple of blocks. We had showers and cots, and there should be a coin laundry close by although I didn't see one.

Happy hiking. :sun

Blissful
04-25-2009, 22:59
US522 has plenty of traffic; shouldn't be a problem to hitch.

Skyline
04-25-2009, 23:54
I'll be starting at Harper's Ferry hiking SOBO to Rockfish Gap here pretty soon and I think I want to hitch into Front Royal before entering SNP.

I'm wondering if there is a good place to stay in Front Royal that is:

a) close to some kind of resturant
b) close to a grocery store
c) has a washing machine and dryer

Also - I know this is kind of like a "what will the weather be like in February?" question, but historically, is it difficult to hitch in and out of FR?

BONUS ROUND: Same questions for Luray. ;-)

I'll go for the Bonus Round, since I live near Luray.

If you try to hitch west on US211 to Luray right where the AT crosses 211, your chances for a successful hitch are diminished. Better to walk uphill about a tenth-mile and hike just on the other side of the Skyline Drive bridge. Oncoming drivers from the east can see you better, and there's a place for them to pull off the (reasonably busy) highway to let you get in their vehicle.

Most hikers stay at either the Cardinal Inn or the Budget Inn. There are several other lodging facilities, from budget to luxury, but those two seem to get the most hiker business. Of the two, Budget Inn is cheaper. Both are right on Main Street (although at opposite ends) and are within a 20-minute or so walk of everything a hiker usually needs in town.

Luray has a full-resupply-worthy super market right in town (and another out on the highway west of town plus a WalMart). Also in town—nearly a dozen restaurants, two backpacker outfitters, a multi-screen movie theatre, a post office, a veterinarian, a hospital plus an urgent-care clinic off-hours, three laundromats, a visitor center, and much more.

The jumping-off point at Thornton Gap has a newly opened restroom facility and a pay phone, just off the AT via a short side trail before you come to US211.. You can call for a reasonably-priced shuttle from there without putting money in the slot by calling 1-877-789-3210.

If you are thinking about a town stop between HF and Rockfish, Luray is closer than FR to being the halfway-point trail town.

But I can't predict the weather in February. :D