PDA

View Full Version : what can i find at resupply points?

Jonauto
04-25-2009, 22:43
I am hiking from spring mt to hot springs in about a week. My more detailed itinerary can be found here ( http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49502 ).

Ive been drying food for the past week and i was curious about what i should expect to find at resupply points along the trail. I think im going to carry and maildrop all of my dried fruits/vegies/beans/meats and just pick up the carbohydrates and other heavy items whenever i stop. Ive got a relative that has offered to pay to have the maildrops sent, and thatll help me out since money is an issue for me.

Can i expect to always be able to find:
instant oatmeal packets
cuscus
instant rice
tuna packets
chicken packets
ramen noodles
cliff bars
granola bars
olive oil
instant potatoes

The Old Fhart
04-25-2009, 22:54
Jonauto-"I am hiking from spring mt to hot springs in about a week...."Spring Mt. is about 10 miles north of Hot springs. I think you mean Springer Mountain. Check the article section on this site for an good article on resupply information.

Blissful
04-25-2009, 23:04
Always? Not sure on that one. But you can certainly adapt your menu to what you find available. I would plan to mail a drop to Neel Gap, NOC, and Fontana Dam.

Jonauto
04-25-2009, 23:08
Spring Mt. is about 10 miles north of Hot springs. I think you mean Springer Mountain. Check the article section on this site for an good article on resupply information.

yeah, that was just a typo. I read that article, but it didnt really give me any indication of what i should find there, just where places are and how stocked places are relative to each other. I grew up in backwoods mississippi where forests dont have convenience stores and theres only a few government owned trails over 10 miles...

Bronk
04-26-2009, 00:41
You'll find a full fledged grocery store in Hiawassee and Franklin, and Helen if you decide to stop there...the NOC outfitter has limited resupply, and Fontana Dam is an iffy proposition, so I'd agree with the person who said to do maildrops to both of those places.

I hiked the smokies with little to eat besides candy bars...when I checked out at the store at Fontana Dam the cashier rolled her eyes and said "you can't live on just candy." I replied "you don't have anything else left in your store." The shelves had been picked clean a day or two before.

Rockhound
04-26-2009, 10:38
Send one 5 day food drop to Fontana Dam and drop a 3 day supply at Mt Crossings on your way to Springer. Start with 3-4 days worth of food depending on whether or not you do the approach trail. That will get you to Mt Crossings and the box you leave there will get you to Hiawassee. You can resupply in Hiawassee enough to get you to Franklin and resupply enough there to get you to Fontana. That mail drop will get you to Standing Bear where you can resupply for the remaining 2 or 3 days.

RockDoc
05-03-2009, 22:03
Oatmeal is invariably available in hiker boxes... people bring too much and get sick of it.
Don't count on finding any cous cous, except perhaps in the big Ingles grocery stores in Hiawassee, Robbinsville, etc. This is the south, and they prefer grits.
The only place I saw Cliff Bars (and ProBars, etc) was at NOC.
The other stuff is no problem.

You can maybe skip Franklin; it's only two days from Hiawassee. Depends on how fast you walk.

Resupply at Standing Bear Farm is possible but expensive and limited, and also subject to being cleaned out right before you get there. We bought 2+ days of submarginal (candy/snacks) food there, cost $25 (2 people); walked into Hot Springs on fumes. Better to send a food package to SBF. But make sure it's not late or if you don't pick it up your stuff will go up for sale!

curtisvowen
05-04-2009, 06:43
Resupply at Standing Bear Farm is possible but expensive and limited, and also subject to being cleaned out right before you get there. We bought 2+ days of submarginal (candy/snacks) food there, cost $25 (2 people); walked into Hot Springs on fumes. Better to send a food package to SBF. But make sure it's not late or if you don't pick it up your stuff will go up for sale!

When do I ever get "cleaned out". My hikers tell me I've one of the best resupplies on the trail....price & selection.
I've never nor will I ever sell another hikers food that doesn't get picked up.

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 08:41
Oatmeal is invariably available in hiker boxes... people bring too much and get sick of it.
Don't count on finding any cous cous, except perhaps in the big Ingles grocery stores in Hiawassee, Robbinsville, etc. This is the south, and they prefer grits.
The only place I saw Cliff Bars (and ProBars, etc) was at NOC.
The other stuff is no problem.

You can maybe skip Franklin; it's only two days from Hiawassee. Depends on how fast you walk.

You obviously have NO idea what you are talking about. You are probably one of those people that has never even been there. It is always, ALWAYS totally stocked. In terms of price, its just a bit more than a regualr store. They have to make profit somehow. ANd if you think for one second that the maildrops are even opened and sold, again, you have no idea what you are talking about. If you are going to give advice to people, make sure you get your facts straight before you go saying things about people's business and livlihood. Get a life you jerk!

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 08:43
You obviously have NO idea what you are talking about. You are probably one of those people that has never even been there. It is always, ALWAYS totally stocked. In terms of price, its just a bit more than a regualr store. They have to make profit somehow. ANd if you think for one second that the maildrops are even opened and sold, again, you have no idea what you are talking about. If you are going to give advice to people, make sure you get your facts straight before you go saying things about people's business and livlihood. Get a life you jerk!
So there. . . . hmmmmphh!!!

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 08:46

Of course if you skip Franklin you miss out on a chance to meet Ron Haven. . . one of the very decent souls on the AT who takes good care of the hikers. . . . :):)

Rockhound
05-04-2009, 08:56
Food that does not get picked up goes into the hiker box RockDoc. Often the mailer will call us and tell us to do just that. As for selection, Lipton pasta/ rice sides, tuna, salmon, dehydrated beans, chicken, Spam, oatmeal, pop tarts, jerky, trail mix, candy Bars(Snickers/Butterfingers, not that sub par generic candy), tortillas, bagels, Nutty Bars, oatmeal cream pies, bananas, apples, drink mixes, Granola bars, coffee singles, hot dogs,ramens, instant potatoes..... I think I could make it 2 or 3 days to Hot Springs on that. As for while you are there, DiGiorno pizzas, rib/fish/chicken sandwiches, hot pockets, eggs, bacon, canned soups, chili, stew, spaghetti, sodas, gatorade, pototos, yogurt, biscuits.... Yes occasionaly we run low or even out of things. Never has the resupply been "cleaned out". As for prices they are the same as you would find in any conveinience store. You want Walmart prices Rock Doc I suggest you go to Walmart. Then you can spend the money you saved on postal fees instead of having it go towards a great family that provides an absolutely beautiful oasis for all the hikers coming out of or entering the Smokies each year.

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 08:59
Of course if you skip Franklin you miss out on a chance to meet Ron Haven. . . one of the very decent souls on the AT who takes good care of the hikers. . . . :):)

This guy is obviously more concerned with hiking than fun. It aint just about hiking Rock Doc. You must be one of the antisocial's on the trail.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2009, 09:02
This guy is obviously more concerned with hiking than fun. It aint just about hiking Rock Doc. You must be one of the antisocial's on the trail.
Yeah. . . what he said. . . . :mad:

Rockhound
05-04-2009, 09:17
I forgot Cinnamon rolls, Cheese danishes, Muffins, Slim Jims, Peanut butter, Peanuts, Sunflower seeds, Cashews, Bacon loaf, Cookies (Oreos and Grandmas), cheese and crackers, Mac and Cheese, Pringles, Chex mix......... RockDoc, are you sure you were at Standing Bear?