PDA

View Full Version : go ahed critique

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 09:56
Ok here goes my gear list
Back pack (I use a 75+10) just under 6000 cubic inches
USGI Modular sleeping bag (the black intermediate with bivy)
4x6 tarp (ground cover) as well as shelter when in need)
ripstop nylon poncho (for rain gear and temp shelter)
First aid kit (I listed the items on the first aid post)
3 pairs smart wool socks
cheap nylon pants (I treat them with camp dry)
extra tshirt
military issue undershirt (great in all conditions)
extra underwear
Stove (I use a handmade alcohol jet stove)
Fuel (I use HEAT)
2 quart canteen
2 liter camel bag (I know a lot of you think this is too much water most time only 1 is full, but sometimes you need a gallon)
pocket knife
multitool with knife
pot and pan
camp cup
utensils ( I like the ozark trail despite their weight)
rope (nothing thick but something that will hold a tarp and can hold my gear in a tree)
Toothbrush and toothpaste
camp soap
Shamwow (I know this is my first year usin the WOW but they are great, and you can buy them in stores now {wally world 6 bucks for just the orange, and walgreens for the whole set})
Sunglasses
Bug spray
Sunscreen (my sunscreen and bug spray are the same bottle)
cotton gloves (come in handy on cold mountains and when cooking)
Flashlight (I like the small led lights)
I don't use anything for cleaning my water, but 1 day I will buy a Steripen
duct tape wrapped oround my fuel bottle
Alcohol wipes, cleaning wipes, antibiotic cream, Iodine wipes, burn cream, bandaids (small), gauze, sterile tape, ace bandage, tylenol (acetomenophine 500mg), snake bit kit, horseshoe needle (upholstery needle can be used to suture or fix gear), dental floss (for sewing me or my gear), and and extra lighter.
windscreen for stove
caribiners
"don't Laugh", but I take a candle lantern with citronila candles in it. I know it's heavy
steel match
zippo
bic
waterproof matches (yes I know this is overkill lol)
with a week of food and full water my pack weighs 27 pounds
ok I know I am forgetin a few things but for the most part thats is it

Dr O
04-26-2009, 10:01
"don't Laugh", but I take a candle lantern with citronila candles in it. I know it's heavy

I heard citronella attracts bears

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 10:08
shoulda read my bear story lol. My nephew wanted to see bears real bad (I didn't know) we were at a shelter with a sign which read BEARS ARE VERY ACTIVE AT THIS SHELTER. SO what does he do? He leaves a pouch of tuna out, hoping to see a bear. I guess they thought a bear was already there when they heard me snoring cuz none ever came, but mice stole 1 of his socks and his watch at the same shelter lol

Panzer1
04-26-2009, 11:55
Back pack (I use a 75+10) just under 6000 cubic inchesI would have listed the actual make and model

add a map and compass and a hat and watch.

Panzer

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 11:58
sorry I had it in my gear revue lol it is a Teton Fox 75+10 this pack is also sold as the Nebo, Fox 75+10, HI-TEC Fox 75+10, High Peak, Fox 75+10, and most importantly is an older model of the Deuter 75+10

Toolshed
04-26-2009, 12:03
I'm kinda impressed that you can get all that in there plus a week's worth of food plus water for 27 lbs.
I'd kill one of the knives and get rid of all but a spoon on the utensils
Get rid of at least 2 of the fire sources. (zippo and steel match are Overkill.)
You don't really need sunglasses unless they are RX. You'll be in the woods most of the time.
Camp Dry won't do anything for your nylon pants.
Need only 1 carabiner
Ditch the gloves and wear the extra socks if you need to keep your hands warm.

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 12:14
Yeah I must be a closet piro, and I had not used sunglasses, but over the years I have decided I like having them. I wear contacts and the sunglasses help keep my eyes from getting dry, I hit a lot of sun on top of the mountains, and I like how they keep me from gettin smacked in the eye by errant branches the few times the trail is in desperate need of maintenance (like north of max patch once you cross the road). Sorry I call them all camp dry, it is actualy Silicone Water-Guard for suede leather cotton, canvas, Nylon, and other synthetic fabrics. As for gloves it is hard to get my finger through the loops on my coffee cup with socks on my hands lol and really the coffee cup is the only real reason I have the gloves lol

Panzer1
04-26-2009, 13:00
I some times bring sun glasses with me too. When you need them its nice to have them.

And as for gloves unless its the middle of summer, I think its usually good to have a pair. I can't see using socks on my hands unless it was like a desperate survival situation. Otherwise, I'd just carry a pair of gloves.

As for the 5.5 pound pack, I carried a 6 pound external frame for about 20 years. Now I carry a 3 pound internal frame, the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone. I was happy with the external frame but now I'm happier with the lighter internal frame.

Panzer

Bear Bag
04-26-2009, 13:26
pocket knife
multitool with knife

Why carry both?

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 13:29
I some times bring sun glasses with me too. When you need them its nice to have them.

And as for gloves unless its the middle of summer, I think its usually good to have a pair. I can't see using socks on my hands unless it was like a desperate survival situation. Otherwise, I'd just carry a pair of gloves.

As for the 5.5 pound pack, I carried a 6 pound external frame for about 20 years. Now I carry a 3 pound internal frame, the Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone. I was happy with the external frame but now I'm happier with the lighter internal frame.

Panzer
Yeah I used to be an external frame guy. I loved how I could bungee down my gear. It made for real easy access, and fast packing. To be honest I switched to internals because of the price, but I like how I can fit through tighter holes than I used to go through. I just wish they were and rigid and external frames. You wouldn't believe what my fav pack was lol. I used to have an old army Alice pack, when I was like 20. It had that big metal frame that wrapped around you, and could make it through anything, which was good because I used to do a lot of my traveling by way of freight train lol. I almost bought another 1 just to have it. I have 4 packs already though.

Foyt20
04-26-2009, 15:42
My question is how that is just 27 LBS? Cause I know that sleep system has to be 3 lbs alone.

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 19:15
I think the part I normally carry is 4 pounds actually, but I put it on loaded got on the scale 231, then took it off and got on the scale 204, and presto 27 pounds. As for the blades, I just counted, I have 5 things with blades, not including the snake bite kit. I have a feeling a lot of you are picturing things being bigger than they are. I will have to buy a new kitchen scale so I can list the weights of each item. But here is the Junk I know, backpack 5.5 pounds, sleep 4 pounds, water 8 pounds (17.5). Ok that leaves 28 items if you count the first aid kit as 1 item, most of which weigh between 2 and 4 ounces. Dinner for a week is 20.5 ounces (although that does not include my dehydrated meat), breakfast is 18 ounces for a week, I don't do lunch but I do carry a homemade power bar for each day.

winger
04-26-2009, 19:34
You say "with a week of food" but I don't see the items listed, be specific.

volks-man
04-26-2009, 19:57
I think the part I normally carry is 4 pounds actually, but I put it on loaded got on the scale 231, then took it off and got on the scale 204, and presto 27 pounds. As for the blades, I just counted, I have 5 things with blades, not including the snake bite kit. I have a feeling a lot of you are picturing things being bigger than they are. I will have to buy a new kitchen scale so I can list the weights of each item. But here is the Junk I know, backpack 5.5 pounds, sleep 4 pounds, water 8 pounds (17.5). Ok that leaves 28 items if you count the first aid kit as 1 item, most of which weigh between 2 and 4 ounces. Dinner for a week is 20.5 ounces (although that does not include my dehydrated meat), breakfast is 18 ounces for a week, I don't do lunch but I do carry a homemade power bar for each day.
serious newb question:
i always thought snake bite kits were 'snake oil' so to speak.
are they really needed?

Blissful
04-26-2009, 20:36
serious newb question:
i always thought snake bite kits were 'snake oil' so to speak.
are they really needed?

No. Your chance of a snakebite is very remote anyway. But hikers should be knowledgeable on first aid for these and other kinds of injuries.

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 20:39
I don't know how needed they are. I have had 3 extremely close encounters with rattle snakes. All that is in it are directions, a bottle (tiny 1 use) iodine, and a sterile razor blade sealed in foil. There is also some string that I guess would be for a tourniquet. My mom bought it 1 year after seeing the snake pics. I like the rubber case though lol

Blissful
04-26-2009, 20:48
Ok here goes my gear list
Back pack (I use a 75+10) just under 6000 cubic inches
USGI Modular sleeping bag (the black intermediate with bivy)
4x6 tarp (ground cover) as well as shelter when in need)
ripstop nylon poncho (for rain gear and temp shelter)
First aid kit (I listed the items on the first aid post)
3 pairs smart wool socks
cheap nylon pants (I treat them with camp dry)
extra tshirt
military issue undershirt (great in all conditions)
extra underwear
Stove (I use a handmade alcohol jet stove)
Fuel (I use HEAT)
2 quart canteen
2 liter camel bag (I know a lot of you think this is too much water most time only 1 is full, but sometimes you need a gallon)
pocket knife
multitool with knife
pot and pan
camp cup
utensils ( I like the ozark trail despite their weight)
rope (nothing thick but something that will hold a tarp and can hold my gear in a tree)
Toothbrush and toothpaste
camp soap
Shamwow (I know this is my first year usin the WOW but they are great, and you can buy them in stores now {wally world 6 bucks for just the orange, and walgreens for the whole set})
Sunglasses
Bug spray
Sunscreen (my sunscreen and bug spray are the same bottle)
cotton gloves (come in handy on cold mountains and when cooking)
Flashlight (I like the small led lights)
I don't use anything for cleaning my water, but 1 day I will buy a Steripen
duct tape wrapped oround my fuel bottle
Alcohol wipes, cleaning wipes, antibiotic cream, Iodine wipes, burn cream, bandaids (small), gauze, sterile tape, ace bandage, tylenol (acetomenophine 500mg), snake bit kit, horseshoe needle (upholstery needle can be used to suture or fix gear), dental floss (for sewing me or my gear), and and extra lighter.
windscreen for stove
caribiners
steel match
zippo
bic
waterproof matches (yes I know this is overkill lol)
with a week of food and full water my pack weighs 27 pounds
ok I know I am forgetin a few things but for the most part thats is it

Stuff I would leave out -
need only one knife
no canteen, take a Aqua fina bottle for an extra bottle
no candle lantern
one pot, no pan
one spork
no sunglasses
no snake bite kit, burn cream
too many lighters and matches. Pick one lighter and a few back up matches just in case.
Does HEAT work? maybe make a simple alcohol stove for yourself. Orpick up a MSR pocket rocket, works nice.
change tarp to a piece of tyvek for the ground

Possible need -
sleeping pad?
Aqua mira works fine for water purification if needed
camp shoes?
use a headlamp
pack cover
personal stuff like toothbrush, paste, camera,

Don't bring anything cotton at all. Once it gets damp, it stays damp. And it's useless and even dangerous if temps drop and its cold (clothing wise).
Your clothes deprnds on the time of year and place yoo plan to go. Might consider a microfleece top. And I always bring a hat.

Wise Old Owl
04-26-2009, 21:00
I'm kinda impressed that you can get all that in there plus a week's worth of food plus water for 27 lbs.
I'd kill one of the knives and get rid of all but a spoon on the utensils
Get rid of at least 2 of the fire sources. (zippo and steel match are Overkill.)
You don't really need sunglasses unless they are RX. You'll be in the woods most of the time.
Camp Dry won't do anything for your nylon pants.
Need only 1 carabiner
Ditch the gloves and wear the extra socks if you need to keep your hands warm.

Hey Toolshed, the steel match is for when the zippo fails!:cool:
I have to wear sunglasses cus I need to look cool... actually I will PM the real reason if you ask.:cool:
I like moving my thumbs around when I am wearing socks on my hands so I need a knife to make a hole? :cool:

Ok I am very much joking....

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 21:19
Blissful lol HEAT is methenol lol. It is the best alcohol for the alcohol stoves lmao. Sorry to find that so funny, but i figured every1 who uses alcohol stoves knew that heat was alcohol lol

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 21:27
I did forget to list my generic crocs. I am surprised so many have said sonething about the knives lol. I carry 2 just walking around lol. As for havind a total of 3 lighters, a pack of matches, and a steel match, what can I say I must have a touch of piro. I will say even on just a 1 week hike I doubt I will have but 1 lighter left when i get off the trail. I have ran into a lot of people on the trail who break ther lighters or lose them (I have done both myself). The steel match is a pain, but who knows 1 day I might actually need it and besides I keep it on my key chain all the time lol. Did I mention I have a P38 too lol I am sure many would call that another blade. hmm and a bottle of listerine pocket mist on the keychain too. Oh and a small multitool lol. Dang I guess I do carry a lot of knives lol

Toolshed
04-26-2009, 22:00
I usually find sunglasses to be a pain with sweating and all, but hats off to those who can get by with them. As for everything else, if you can justify the need, then go for it. I am still surprised that with Food and water you are at only 27 pounds.
I also would like to know what you are packing for food for 7-8 days.

Phoenixdadeadhead
04-26-2009, 22:16
I was aiming for 35 which is the funny thing. I still have some things that are not in the pack. I wear my crocs in the yard so they aren't. My camera is on my table, and my fork knife combo wasn't in the pack when I hit the scale. I think food is where I cut so much weight, I used to be a ramen and oatmeal guy, but discovered that ramen weighs 6 ounces a pack, and you need 2 for a meal, I now use a lot of Lipton sides, at 5.7 oz per pack and 1 pack will feed 2 of us, I add some homemade jerky for protein. A for break fast the nephew hates oatmeal, and he is my hikin partner, so I take powdered milk and granola cereal. Like I said though I will get out the ounce scale lol