PDA

View Full Version : Split from Straight Forward: 2 week Hiking Food - Calories Needed

JAK
04-24-2009, 21:06
Also, if you have body fat you don't mind parting with, it will be mostly carbs you need to bring.
Per 1000 calories burned, you will need about 25g protien and 125g carbs and say 5-10g fibre.
Of the remaining 400 calories of fat you will be burning up to 80% can come from your own body fat.

Based on those numbers a pound of food could contain about...
60g protien, 300g carbs, 20g fat, 20g fibre, and the other 54g being moisture and packaging.
That would provide about 1600 kcal, with another 1000 kcal or so coming from body fat.

You could increase that to 1.5 pounds/day, for about 4000 kcal/day, with a weight loss of 1/2 pound per day.
That would be 15 pounds of food for 2 weeks and up to 7 pounds of weight loss per person.
If you burn only 2500/day you won't lose weight. Ar 5500/day you would lose 14 pounds.
Either way 4000/day should keep most people from feeling hungry.

kayak karl
04-24-2009, 21:51

Bronk
04-25-2009, 00:53
Peanut butter is about 350 calories per ounce, or 5600 calories per pound.

Groucho
04-25-2009, 05:46

My brand only has about half that!

JAK
04-25-2009, 07:52
what food contains 167 calories per ounce? this will help me on MY hike also, as i left trail because of weight loss. best i could do was 4000 cal. at 2.5 lbYou have to read my post again.
The 4000 kcal was enrgy burned from 1.5 pounds of food/day plus 0.5 pounds of body fat/day for a total of 7 pounds of weight loss over 2 weeks. I think I made a mistake though when I said 10 pounds of food carried though. It would be 21 pounds, though I left room for packaging and moisture. If you were lean and had no fat to burn you would need to put the extra 0.5 pounds into the diet, for a total of 2 pounds/day and 28 pounds/fortnight.

JAK
04-25-2009, 07:59
You don't want to carry just fat, because you need to burn carbs also. I think it is best to err on the side of carrying extra carbs so you don't bonk, and if you run low on food you can burn body fat but still need carbs or you will eat into your muscle and organs. I think for hiking 10% protien, 50% carbs, and 40% fat is good, and if you want to burn some body fat 75% of the 49% fat can come from body fat. You are still burning 40-50% fat, but your food needs to be is higher in carbs and protiens if you want to be able to utilize more body fat.

JAK
04-25-2009, 08:01
Calories/day depends on miles and net elevation gain and total weight on feet.

kayak karl
04-25-2009, 08:33

Groucho
04-25-2009, 10:01
PB its great to carry. scoop out with spoon and dip it in a pouch of instant oat meal. great no cook breakfast. olive oil is another good one. this chart put Peanut butter at 166 (a jar of Skippy says 266) and olive oil at 240.

things top of this chart are items these guy should carry. if they are young they could probably survive very well on Pringles and Skippy. :)

i personally would like to see a daily menu that is 24 oz @4000 cal. as previously posted.

http://www.dietfacts.com/list.asp?brand=Skippy gives 190 C/32 g=168 C/oz, same as my Kroger brand.

The olive oil figure in the chart is wrong; it is based on a fluid ounce. With a density of 0.918 g/cc, olive oil has ~131 C/ half ounce by weight, 4183 C/lb.

Feral Bill
04-25-2009, 11:02

More like 167 Calories/ounce. Peanut butter is still a great choice. Olive oil is 240 Calories/ounce, and also a good idea.

Dr O
04-25-2009, 11:14
Chocolate@167cal/oz

kayak karl
04-26-2009, 19:19
How my posts got on this thread are beyond me? it is just a lot of numbers and gibberish to most.

take-a-knee
04-26-2009, 19:39
You don't want to carry just fat, because you need to burn carbs also. I think it is best to err on the side of carrying extra carbs so you don't bonk, and if you run low on food you can burn body fat but still need carbs or you will eat into your muscle and organs. I think for hiking 10% protien, 50% carbs, and 40% fat is good, and if you want to burn some body fat 75% of the 49% fat can come from body fat. You are still burning 40-50% fat, but your food needs to be is higher in carbs and protiens if you want to be able to utilize more body fat.

You need however much protein you need, by that I mean you must maintain a neutral nitrogen balance or your body will start to consume your muscle mass, unless you are a MR Olympia finalist, this is not a good thing. Dr Barry Sears says an athlete in training needs one gram of protein per pound of lean body mass per day. To be "hormonally correct" you should consume the same number of calories in complex carbohydrate, no more. Balance out the rest of your energy requirements with healthy fats, or your own stored body fat. I've never thru'd and may never do so I can't speak from experience, but I believe many failed attempts are due to lean body mass breakdown, IE, tendonitis, shin splints etc (your bones are 25% protein-collagen) caused by inadequate protein consumption.

kayak karl
04-26-2009, 19:55
You need however much protein you need, by that I mean you must maintain a neutral nitrogen balance or your body will start to consume your muscle mass, unless you are a MR Olympia finalist, this is not a good thing. Dr Barry Sears says an athlete in training needs one gram of protein per pound of lean body mass per day. To be "hormonally correct" you should consume the same number of calories in complex carbohydrate, no more. Balance out the rest of your energy requirements with healthy fats, or your own stored body fat. I've never thru'd and may never do so I can't speak from experience, but I believe many failed attempts are due to lean body mass breakdown, IE, tendonitis, shin splints etc (your bones are 25% protein-collagen) caused by inadequate protein consumption.
hi take-a-knee,
we chatted about this. you are right. with my dizzy spells and headaches on my thru, that was the major cause. hikers need to go beyond WB for advice on their nutrition and health. they're not going to find it here:D
take care
KK