PDA

View Full Version : Great Smoky Mountain National Park hike

JWren
04-26-2009, 15:21
I live about 2hrs from the GSMNP and i have been wanting to do a day or overnighter in it. For this hike i need to return to my car so it can be a loop or a out and back, and if it was day i would like there to be a campsite at the trailhead so i could sleep in at least some nature. I would perfer a overnighter to where i could get back to my car by 10 to drive home by 12. Any suggestions are welcome

Bear Cables
04-26-2009, 15:32
I live about 2hrs from the GSMNP and i have been wanting to do a day or overnighter in it. For this hike i need to return to my car so it can be a loop or a out and back, and if it was day i would like there to be a campsite at the trailhead so i could sleep in at least some nature. I would perfer a overnighter to where i could get back to my car by 10 to drive home by 12. Any suggestions are welcome

Try Cosby campground. Many trails that loop. Hiker parking lot, great rustic campground. There is a 2 mile trial to the AT. Low Gap Trail, that once it reaches the AT near Cosby Shelter you can hike to the Mr. Cramner fire tower. Beautiful 10 round trip hike. There is also Gabe mountain trail to Hen Wallow falls you can loop it as well. Get a GSMP map and look at the trail at Cosby.

Stir Fry
04-26-2009, 15:32
A nice overnighter is the Abrams Falls loop. Park in the parking lot trailhead to Abrams Fall at the back of Cades Cove. Go Abrams Falls trail 4.2 miles to the Falls. then hike on to the Hanah Mt trail, camp at site 16 of 15, camp site 15 is on Rabbit creek. then take Rabbit Creek trail back to the parking lot, about 14 miles or so. Easy to find on any GSM map or a Cades Cove Map.

Rcarver
04-26-2009, 15:34
Start at the parking lot a Big Creek. Take the Big Creek trail to Walnut Bottoms #37. Pretty easy hike, stays by the creek for almost the entire way. There is a park and pay by the trail head if you want to stay there the night before. A great area of the park.

If you want to do a big day hike you can stay at the Cosby park and pay and the next day take the Low Gap trail to the AT, go out to the Cammerer lookout and take Lower Cammerer trail back to the camp ground.

JWren
04-26-2009, 17:37
Just to mention i have a GSMNP map and two books one Great HIkes or Trails of the Smokies and Dayhikes of the Smokies

OldStormcrow
04-27-2009, 08:39
Alum Cave Bluff Trail up to LeConte (shelter camping) and back.....great views at sunset OR sunrise.

Grampsb
04-27-2009, 09:07
Another one would be Abrams Creek Ranger Station campground. You can do a nice hike to falls via the back way.

Rain Man
04-27-2009, 09:33
I would perfer a overnighter to where i could get back to my car by 10 to drive home by 12.

Uh, is that back by 10 a.m. and home by noon?

Or is that back by 10 p.m. and home by midnight?

One good suggestion was the LeConte Shelter, but don't forget you might need reservations. Check with the Park staff/office by phone.

Rain:sunMan

sliderule
04-27-2009, 10:01
One good suggestion was the LeConte Shelter, but don't forget you might need reservations. Check with the Park staff/office by phone.

The Mt. LeConte shelter is the last place you want to go without a reservation. The NPS has been stationing a ranger at the lodge five days a week.

JWren
04-27-2009, 15:51
Uh, is that back by 10 a.m. and home by noon?

Or is that back by 10 p.m. and home by midnight?

Rain:sunMan

10 am and home by noon, i have a luncheon for Graduates at my church and really need to go to it, i would do the hike fri-sat. but on fri. i have a track meet

kyhipo
04-27-2009, 16:39
go to the NOC Center in NC very nice drive do a little hike then drive home,been their done it.ky