PDA

View Full Version : VT article on One-Leg's Thru-hike

SavageLlama
06-09-2004, 12:49
Amputee progresses on Appalachian Trail

The Burlington Free Press (javascript:NewWindow( 'FIISrcDetails','?from=article&ids=brfp');void(0);)
June 6, 2004
Scott Rogers set out in late March from Springer Mountain, Ga., on a mission to hike all 2,174 miles of the Appalachian Trail.

On one leg.

Rogers, 35, was involved in a hunting accident six years ago that led to the amputation of his left leg above the knee. This summer, he is trying to become the second amputee to trek the full distance of the AT.

Rogers progress can be followed at www.trailjournals.com/OneLeg. As of Wednesday, he was in northern Virginia.

Rogers' journal postings convey how trying his trek has been. His Memorial Day entry includes the following passage:

The hike hasn't been fun at all. I've relied solely on my commitment to keep me on the trail, because mentally, I certainly haven't wanted to be there.

Almost 150 miles of the Appalachian Trail cuts through the Green Mountain State, following the Long Trail from Pownal to Killington, then jogging east and exiting the state at Norwich.

According to the Appalachian Trail Conference, Roger was among the 1,261 "northbounders" on the trail as of last week. According to the ATC, 7,830 end-to-end completions have been recorded since 1936.