PDA

View Full Version : Clyde Smith Shelter

Former Admin
10-19-2002, 12:34
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Clyde Smith Shelter

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

hiker33
11-02-2005, 16:11
This was a nice shelter. It had upper and lower bunks with a front overhang that sheltered benches and tables along the front for cooking. Convenient. Water was about 100 yards downhill and running well even though a couple of SOBO's had told us it wasn't good water. It might be a bit sludgy if you don't have a filter. It would be hard to scoop without a lot of sediment getting mixed in since the pool was only about an inch deep.

Berserker
09-14-2009, 13:01
Any recent updates on this shelter? In particular are there any decent tenting spots near it, and if so how large are they?

Tennessee Viking
09-14-2009, 17:05
There is a large campsite behind the shelter. Soom good camping around Greasy Creek Gap. Then a spot to the north of the shelter

the dragon
05-02-2011, 18:29
Any recent updates on the water source there? Still really shallow? I went through there back in like November '09 maybe and the water source wasn't all that great.

ATN
11-02-2011, 11:54
An update and thoughts on this shelter after being there in Aug. '11...

The water is indeed a little shallow and weak, down a fairly long, somewhat ambiguous, steep side trail and is definitely far enough that you probably shouldn't leave your gear at the shelter if solo.

The roof of the shelter was temporarily covered with plastic, likely due to early season storm damage, but it was doing its job.

There seemed to be a disproportionately large amount of half-burned and intact trash at this shelter compared to others in the area, which I did my best to remedy by actually packing out (including glass wine and liquor bottles) and ended up carrying up Roan (!) to the nearest receptacle. Left a note in the log about it.

The mouse circus was continuous and they were very tame, so carrying crumbs to bed is not advisable.

The shelter seems like a lot farther than whatever it claims to be off the trail. (.3?)

Otherwise it is a very clean albeit dark shelter, high off the ground and I had a solid night's sleep there.

The 'bar' out front is handy and a decent place to sit.

CrumbSnatcher
11-02-2011, 14:07
will always be fond of this shelter, it was my first year of hardcore.
good times