PDA

View Full Version : hiking PA in june again?

kyhipo
04-27-2009, 09:21
looks like instead of NM this summer we are going to PA not a bad state to hike done it few times,just looking for new hostels and B&Bs their!any new info would be nice.ky

Blissful
04-27-2009, 10:36
I think a hostel or something opened up near the Palmerton area last year.

PM Emerald too for info, especially the northern half of PA.

kyhipo
04-27-2009, 10:43
I think a hostel or something opened up near the Palmerton area last year.

thank you,ky

Pootz
04-27-2009, 11:17
looks like instead of NM this summer we are going to PA not a bad state to hike done it few times,just looking for new hostels and B&Bs their!any new info would be nice.ky

I will be in Pa somewhere doing trail magic in June, hope to see you, hope you like hot dogs/beer/soda/junk food.

kyhipo
04-27-2009, 11:20
I will be in Pa somewhere doing trail magic in June, hope to see you, hope you like hot dogs/beer/soda/junk food.
be my first hike with my babe looking foward to it!,my dad is building a plant their and well looks like he wants some company and well only live once!ky

emerald
04-27-2009, 13:48

You've been added to my contacts list. I'll do what I can to help with any specific questions better asked off-board.

With respect to B&Bs, what's available depends to a considerable extent upon whether one is sectioning with vehicular support and how far one is willing to travel off the beaten path. Specific information about what part of Pennsylvania is to be hiked would be helpful too.

Some information about lodgings not included in the guides is located on Hawk Mountain Sanctuary's website.

kyhipo
04-27-2009, 14:00
You've been added to my contacts list. I'll do what I can to help with any specific questions better asked off-board.

With respect to B&Bs, what's available depends to a considerable extent upon whether one is sectioning with vehicular support and how far one is willing to travel off the beaten path. Specific information about what part of Pennsylvania is to be hiked would be helpful too.

Some information about lodgings not included in the guides is located on Hawk Mountain Sanctuary's website.we are gonna be in milton,lewisberg,area,get a ride from my dad down to duncanon,hike long as we want too and kinda just see how my girl does.ky

emerald
04-27-2009, 14:22
AT N or S?

kyhipo
04-27-2009, 14:51
AT N or S?
be going north hopefully not as hot in 99,ky

Kirby
04-27-2009, 20:07
PA is horrible.

Miserable.

Never gonna hike there again.

If I start at Springer again, I fully intend to skip PA.

Wags
04-27-2009, 20:28
hater :D

Pootz
04-27-2009, 21:32
PA is horrible.

Miserable.

The At in PA has lots of nice sections. The Doyle makes it worth the walking. And the rocks are good practice for New Hampshire and Main

Pootz
04-27-2009, 21:37

Not sure how "new" this is but here are the places I know of.

Iron Masters Mansion- Pine Grove Forest State Park

2 B&B's in Boiling Springs, one lets us camp in yard for $1.00

Blue Mtn Summit B&B. Nice rooms/food/drinks

Donnie
04-27-2009, 21:55
I will be living in Lewisburg until I start my SOBO thru at the end of July. I cannot personally recommend too many places that are local (I am only around for school) but PA has a great state website didicated to hiking trails. I know that isn't a lot of help but if there is anything else I can help you with, let me know.
Also, Vargo Outdoors has a retail store and warehouse in downtown Lewisburg if you are in need of any gear or are particularly interested in any Titanium products.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/hiking/index.aspx
http://www.vargooutdoors.com/

ki0eh
04-28-2009, 07:44
PA's longest trail passes close to Lewisburg. The Bucknell and Susquehanna U. outing clubs (defunct now?) helped to build http://www.hike-mst.org/ , which is now also part of http://www.greateasterntrail.net/ - started by the still functioning Penn State outing club. There are (almost) no shelters and little developed support structure. So if you want the hiking social experience, stick to the A.T.; if you want more of all of views, woods, and rocks, take a look at the MST.

Hoop Time
04-30-2009, 08:45
There are some shelters on the MST at Poe Paddy. Two small Adirondacks. But they are usually filled by car campers and fishermen. Especially now that the state allows those sites to be reserved ahead of time.

Pootz
04-30-2009, 11:29
There is also a shelter in the town of Woolrich with bathrooms and water. Right by the original Woolrich store.

Jaybird
04-30-2009, 11:34

Yo KYHIPO,

I'll be hiking in SOUTHERN PA in a few days...
maybe we'll see U out there!
Hiking NOBO with "Jigsaw" & "Model-T" Harpers Ferry,WV to Swatara Gap,PA May 2-14:D

darkage
04-30-2009, 12:00
PA is horrible.

Miserable.

wahhhh, need a tissue?

kyhipo
04-30-2009, 13:48
PA is horrible.

Miserable.

If I start at Springer again, I fully intend to skip PA.thats odd but had my biggest day in PA!and did it in rain:D.but its a common thread about the rocks!ky