PDA

View Full Version : Our first backpacking trip

jcramin
04-27-2009, 11:35
Well my son and I took our first backpacking trip this weekend along with my sons Boy Scout Troop. It was only a two day trip and it was in Middle Tennessee at Mousetail Landing State Park. It was sunny and 80's. Our packs where 26 lbs each not counting food and water. We split the weight of a 3 man Kelty Gunnison 3.1 tent. I carried the MSR Sweetwater filter and Brunton Raptor stove and small can of fuel and my son carried and extra large can of fuel and he carried about 3/4 of the food. Our packs are inexpensive heavy packs and now I know why I need to go and get good lightweight packs fitted to us. It wasnt a bad trip, we only did about 5.5 miles each of the two days. We did take some extra gear we didnt need but we took just in case. And I also learned at 44 one of those cheap Wallmart blue sleeping bads WILL NOT WORK for me. BUT it was a good trip and it was fun to be out backpacking with my son.

J

bigcranky
04-27-2009, 12:01
Good for you -- glad you had fun.

kyhipo
04-27-2009, 12:06
have fun check out campmor for some gear.ky:D

jcramin
04-27-2009, 13:39
O I LOVE campmor. Many years ago when I used to travel for work I think I was in New Jersey and they had a Campmor store and it was awesome.

J

ASUGrad
04-27-2009, 14:18
Here's what works for me (fat guy)

Two blue pads from Walmart and a self-inflating pad. You roll that up and it really doesn't weigh that much.

daddytwosticks
04-27-2009, 15:13
While you were not very comfortable, you learned much. Trips like those w/your son will be remembered fondly by both you and him in the future. :)

Jayboflavin04
04-27-2009, 16:50
Glad the two of you had a great time. Keep getting out there