PDA

View Full Version : PA Car Camping?

dudeijuststarted
04-27-2009, 19:47
I want to go car camping this coming weekend in PA...closer to the southern border close to harrisburg/york.

I've done PA AT from the southern border to boiling springs, and alot of it over and over again. I'm hoping to just get a campsite to relax and slackpack some nice trail on Saturday.

If anybody knows a good campground please let me know. Has anyone ever visit Codorus?

Thanks!
D

simon
04-27-2009, 20:14
Codorus is a nice park with a few miles of easy trails. Same with Gifford Ponchot State park. Both these parks the lake is the main focus. Plenty of time to kick back and relax. The PA state park site is a good source to find car camping sites. http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/index.aspx

Wags
04-27-2009, 20:29
good car camping at pine grove furnace state park. about 25 minutes south of harrisburg. some good day hikes, some challenging, some easy, 2 good sized lakes

you can find it at that link simon put up

ki0eh
04-27-2009, 20:51
Could also go to Cowans Gap and do some of the Tuscarora for a change of pace. Great viewpoint and nice trail between there and US 30. Just south of 30 is a biker bar to serve as a destination.

Spirit Walker
04-27-2009, 21:12
Since you're in Maryland, have you hiked/camped in Greenridge Forest out I-70? The Greenridge Trail is a nice one, great for dayhikes, and there are remote car camping sites along the roads. the Greenridge Trail links to both the PA Midstate Trail and the C&O Canal. Similarly, you could go out to the Catoctin Trail near Frederick. Lots of great hikes and a couple of good campgrounds. Little Bennett SP or Cedarville SF are also good ones for camping and hiking.

Blissful
04-27-2009, 21:35
My family liked Caledonia SP - we went there when I was a teen and got my pic taken with my candy cane striped daypack by an AT sign. Age 15. :)

ki0eh
04-28-2009, 07:36
Caledonia SP

Pretty place, can do a day long A.T. based loop from there to the south and shorter loop to the north (or longer circuit), see newer maps (yes, 2 different PATC maps...). Lots of traffic noise from US 30 though.

zoidfu
04-28-2009, 08:20
good car camping at pine grove furnace state park. about 25 minutes south of harrisburg. some good day hikes, some challenging, some easy, 2 good sized lakes

you can find it at that link simon put up

And I believe their upgraded facilities(flushing toilets, showers) are ready to go.

Hoop Time
04-30-2009, 08:40
I remain a big fan of Poe Paddy State Park, which can be a great base for hikes on Midstate Trail and other smaller trails in that area. But that is about 90 minutes north of Harrisburg, towards State College, so probably does not quite fit what you are looking for.