PDA

View Full Version : Bears, Wolves, in Wisconsin?

puddingboy
04-27-2009, 20:45
Ok im going to be hiking the Chequemegon Nat'l Forest Section of the IAT this summer, all 42 miles. What I don't know is if their are bears or wolves or both in that area. How should I handle bears, hang up my food? Will wolves or bears be a problem with my dog, a field spaniel? Any advice with handling these problems will be greatly appreciated.

Engine
04-27-2009, 21:06
Gray wolf distribution map:
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/mammals/wolf/wolf_map.htm

As you can see from the map above, Wolves are found all over northern Wisconsin. Bears are thick in that area as well. As for worrying about your dog, bears are usually scared of a dog, but just be careful. Wolves can show aggression toward other canines, but they are usually very secretive and the odds of seeing any in the thick northern woods are remote.

Just keep a close eye on your dog (don't let it run around unattended) and enjoy the trip.

Oh yeah, hanging food is always a good idea, cook and eat away from camp as well. You will likely get all kinds of responses regarding people who sleep with their food, eat in their tent, and so forth. But, I tend to err on the side of caution and well hung food that is out of reach is the best defense. A phone call to the headquarters of Chequemegon Nat'l Forest will likely answer these questions with more authority as well.

mkmangold
04-27-2009, 21:33
Ok im going to be hiking the Chequemegon Nat'l Forest Section of the IAT this summer, all 42 miles. What I don't know is if their are bears or wolves or both in that area. How should I handle bears, hang up my food? Will wolves or bears be a problem with my dog, a field spaniel? Any advice with handling these problems will be greatly appreciated.

Alright, Puddingboy! Let us know when you go.
There was a bear sighted recently near Milwaukee and there have been several sightings near Fond du Lac. So as you go further north, you get more bears. The ones near my aunt and uncle's house in Antigo were pretty aggressive in trying to get food so I would second hanging your food. Wolves shouldn't be an issue.

dart7383
04-28-2009, 00:12
I have spent most of my life taking trips to that area. I really doubt you will have any issues with bear or wolves. The only places I've seen bears were tourist spots. They were interested in the garbage. I've heard a few wolf calls over the years, but have never come across any physical evidence. On the other hand, it's just always better to hang your food. It's better than having mice, skunks. opossum... tearing up your gear to get at your food. The woods of Wisconsin are an amazing place, have a wonderfull trip and let us know how it goes.