PDA

View Full Version : roan mtn shelters

showcase
04-27-2009, 22:46
where on roan mountain, if you start from the top at the parking area, are the shelters. i think i walked 4 miles saturday on the balds and didnt come to one or close to one. Just curious???? What is a good overnigher on roan mountain???

sloopjonboswell
04-27-2009, 22:55
cowboy camping is available upon request.

Mocs123
04-27-2009, 23:24
Roan Mountain Shelter is on the Summit of Roan Mountain a little over a mile South of Carvers Gap. Stan Murry Shelter is 3.3 miles north of Carvers Gap and Overmountain Shelter is 5 miles north of Carvers Gap.

Tennessee Viking
04-28-2009, 00:17
Be sure to follow the White Blazes on the balds. A many of hikers have taken the Grassy Ridge Bald trail instead of turning to go down the ridge line. Its a awesome side trip though.

If you are up on Roan during bad weather. Roan High Knob Shelter is a good place. Its 4-wall remodeled cabin with 2 platforms. Its usually the pick of the shelters during snow or thunderstorms.

I would consider Stan Murray, emergency only. The winds on the exposed ridgeline can be really strong. So don't expect a lot of sleep there.

But the pick of all the shelters is Overmountain Barn Shelter at Yellow Mtn Gap. It is an old barn turned shelter. It is the only shelter in the area with a privy. But the views of Roaring Creek Valley are awesome, especially on a full moon night. A number of source opportunities along the forest road. And this is the spot where the Overmountain Men camped and marched toward Kings Mountain.

There is actually one more. Apple House is 0.5 miles from 19E. Its more convinence if you don't want to stay at Mountain Harbour B&B. It has been known to be a party spot for the locals. So don't stay there alone.

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 20:11
Grassy Ridge is well worth the walk up! Great spots to camp between Stan Murray and Overmtn if shelters aint your thing

Chaco Taco
04-29-2009, 20:11
Also, there is a killer camp spot in between the humps.

Mocs123
04-30-2009, 00:15
Also, there is a killer camp spot in between the humps.

That would be Bradley Gap

Chaco Taco
05-01-2009, 23:00
That area is beautiful right now with the flowers out, ramps lining the hillside, and the amount of green on the trees! I love NC

Tennessee Viking
05-01-2009, 23:42
That would be Bradley Gap
And new hillside trail w/ switchbacks. No more steep eroded trail.

Many Walks
05-01-2009, 23:54
Showcase, It's been a while, but as I recall from the upper parking lot you need to go to the Cloudland Rhododendron Gardens about 300' or so and you'll find the AT beyond that. I can picture the route, but don't know the actual direction. I think you go right on the AT about a mile and you'll come to the Roan High Knob Shelter. Going on memory here and there have been a lot of trails between then and now. You can get water at the restrooms before leaving the gardens.

Cool piece of info about Roan High Knob Shelter, check out the big rock formation in front of the shelter and to the left in the trees. The top of the rock is only 3' lower than the summit of Mt. Washington!!! Just a bit of trivia, but kinda cool. Geez, everyone's checking their data books now.

Enjoy your hike!

Chaco Taco
05-02-2009, 10:07
And new hillside trail w/ switchbacks. No more steep eroded trail.

Yea TN Eastman has outdone themselves with this section of trail. Did see what we thought is the Hardcore project for this year. Redirecting trail to prevent "Twail ewosion" Cant wait to be on that crew, project looks challenging!

Roan Creeper
05-02-2009, 15:08
Yeah, I love this section too. I have been hiking it since I moved to J.C./Kingsport area in 15 years ago.

Tennessee Viking
05-02-2009, 16:42
Yea TN Eastman has outdone themselves with this section of trail. Did see what we thought is the Hardcore project for this year. Redirecting trail to prevent "Twail ewosion" Cant wait to be on that crew, project looks challenging!
Its going to be fun this year. 1st day will actually be over at Watauga Lake, Hardcore will build new hillside trail going up to the top of the ridgeline. Day 2 will be Roan working at some of the steep trail around Stan Murray.

Hardcore's work last year at Grassy Ridge did a lot of help to preserve the trail.

Kirby
05-04-2009, 10:14
Overmountain Shelter is my favorite shelter on the trail, such an amazing spot.

And it sits at the foot of my favorite spot on the whole trail, which makes it that much more amazing.

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 10:25
Its going to be fun this year. 1st day will actually be over at Watauga Lake, Hardcore will build new hillside trail going up to the top of the ridgeline. Day 2 will be Roan working at some of the steep trail around Stan Murray.

Hardcore's work last year at Grassy Ridge did a lot of help to preserve the trail.

Sweet!!!!!

Chaco Taco
05-04-2009, 10:25
Sweet!!!!!

And also, the trailk up Grassy Ridge is Awesome. Great job Hardcore Crew

OldStormcrow
05-04-2009, 14:31
Cool piece of info about Roan High Knob Shelter, check out the big rock formation in front of the shelter and to the left in the trees. The top of the rock is only 3' lower than the summit of Mt. Washington!!! Just a bit of trivia, but kinda cool. Geez, everyone's checking their data books now.

Enjoy your hike![/quote]
That's also a great tent camping site up by the rocks.

karo
05-04-2009, 21:16
There is also a USGS Benchmark on top of the rock. This is a great place to winter camp.