PDA

View Full Version : Man, it got hot out!

Slo-go'en
04-28-2009, 12:58
Five days ago (more or less) we were hiking in snow flurries, then a day later in 80-85 degree temps with lots of :sun Been wishing the green tunnel would hurry up and start to give some shade up on these VA ridge walks. In Pearisburg now, I'd guess about 30 thru hikers have passed by me so far, these are all the early March starters and many of them are moving right along. Quite a few short and long section hikers around too.

Suppost to cool off a little this week, but with T-Storms possible. Always something:)

Blissful
04-28-2009, 14:34
Was thinking of all you guys out there. Hope you stayed cool. Watch out for changing weather pattern in VA Wed.

middle to middle
04-28-2009, 16:00
In Maryland it is hot and sunny and leaves just barely out.

Scaper
04-28-2009, 20:23
I went out for a 15 mile hike today in Linden. It was hot where there was no tree cover. I was surprised at how many thru hikers have already come thru looking at the registers. The leaves are coming out up to about the 2000 foot level here. The leaves on the trees above 3500 feet in the SNP come out in mid to late May. There was a nice breeze today so it wasn't so bad.

Egads
04-28-2009, 22:16
I went for a trail run at the GA International Horse Park tonight. This is the first time the ticks and mosquitoes have been out. :(

Marta
04-29-2009, 06:44
I hiked Devil's Fork Gap to Tanyard Gap over the weekend. It was hot, hot, hot grinding uphill in the sun. Leaves not out yet. Some sort of biting fly was rampant.

Great wildflowers, though. Spring beauties, wild geraniums, a few triliums (trilia?), exceptional trout lilies this year, and my personal favorites, wild iris.

Grinder
04-29-2009, 07:52
speaking of the flies. How do we treat the bites?
Two weeks later some of mine still itch, in spite of regular treatment with an "itch cream" (topical analgesic).

I'm thinking clear nailpolish, but haven't gotten around to buying any yet.

TIA

Marta
04-29-2009, 07:57
Two weeks later some of mine still itch, in spite of regular treatment with an "itch cream" (topical analgesic).

TIA

I scratch the bites. It hurts so good.:eek: I stop short of turning the bites into open wounds, though. Occasionally I'll take some Benadryl.

I don't know about the nail polish idea. With chiggers, the critter is supposed to be living there on your skin. The polish is supposed to suffocate them. The flies bite and leave. (Except the ones I smashed. Hah!)

Egads
04-30-2009, 18:58
I went for a trail run at the GA International Horse Park tonight. This is the first time the ticks and mosquitoes have been out. :(

I've got the dreaded 2" diameter red ring around a deer tick bite, and will be calling the doc in the AM

Blissful
04-30-2009, 19:25

TIA

Could very well be chigger bites. Nail polish has worked for me in the past.

Lemni Skate
05-02-2009, 17:03
I did a short day hike on Old Rag in SNP yesterday and I did a short day hike this morning near Rod Hollow Shelter in Northern Virginia. Rain cut me short, but it's definitely green in Shenandoah and Northern Virginia. Maybe the very highest elevations (over 3200 feet) might have another week to go, but that's at the most. Ticks everywhere.

Red Hat
05-11-2009, 12:16
Five days ago (more or less) we were hiking in snow flurries, then a day later in 80-85 degree temps with lots of :sun Been wishing the green tunnel would hurry up and start to give some shade up on these VA ridge walks. In Pearisburg now, I'd guess about 30 thru hikers have passed by me so far, these are all the early March starters and many of them are moving right along. Quite a few short and long section hikers around too.

Suppost to cool off a little this week, but with T-Storms possible. Always something:)

Yep, snow on April 22, then warmed up continuously, till May 1st I was sweating like (you fill it in)... anyway, I was just wishing for a little cool when it started to rain Sat evening May 2nd..., rained all day May 3rd, 4th, and 5th... till I was so wet my Precip didn't even keep me dry. Shivering in the cold and wet. So watch out what you wish for, I got my cooler weather, but it didn't make me happy...

nelisx
05-24-2009, 08:31
I've got the dreaded 2" diameter red ring around a deer tick bite, and will be calling the doc in the AM

egads! good luck at the doc

d'shadow
05-26-2009, 09:36
I got chiggers while camping in Florida. I used liquid bandage and it worked like a charm

Slo-go'en
05-26-2009, 10:41
Yep, snow on April 22, then warmed up continuously, till May 1st I was sweating like (you fill it in)... anyway, I was just wishing for a little cool when it started to rain Sat evening May 2nd..., rained all day May 3rd, 4th, and 5th... till I was so wet my Precip didn't even keep me dry. Shivering in the cold and wet. So watch out what you wish for, I got my cooler weather, but it didn't make me happy...

Yep, after 3 days of sweltering heat, I got to Pearisburg and sent most of my warm stuff home..then it got cool and wet out for 8 or more days! It did make for reasonably pleasent hiking weather, but not so good to camp in. At least there was pleanty of shelter space. Plus all that rain made the forest bloom, and that was nice to see too. Missed a number of the better vista views in centeral VA cuz of the rain though...

leeki pole
05-26-2009, 10:51
Yep, after 3 days of sweltering heat, I got to Pearisburg and sent most of my warm stuff home..then it got cool and wet out for 8 or more days! It did make for reasonably pleasent hiking weather, but not so good to camp in. At least there was pleanty of shelter space. Plus all that rain made the forest bloom, and that was nice to see too. Missed a number of the better vista views in centeral VA cuz of the rain though...
Umm, 80-85 is not sweltering heat. We tolerate 92 to 100 with 70% humidity for three months in the summer. Clear fingernail polish and Chiggerex will take care of them redbugs, but expect two weeks and don't scratch. Chiggers make their appearance just about the same time when the blackberries are ripe, after the first rain.

Sly
05-26-2009, 10:55
There's no leaves and tree cover in VA? It's either green as can be or I must be in the wrong state. :-?

leeki pole
05-26-2009, 11:02
I know about chiggers because they love blackberry vines and my wife loves blackberries on her cereal every morning, so me and Mr. Chigger get real close and personal about June 1 until June 30.:)

Egads
05-26-2009, 12:17
Umm, 80-85 is not sweltering heat. We tolerate 92 to 100 with 70% humidity for three months in the summer.

This is what is known as hiker's off season in the South.

Blissful
05-26-2009, 14:13
Yeah it's gonna get hotter before it gets cooler... Eventually. Right now it's rain, rain here in VA.

Slo-go'en
05-26-2009, 15:27
Yeah it's gonna get hotter before it gets cooler... Eventually. Right now it's rain, rain here in VA.

It's still raining down there? Glad I decide I had enough and went home! At least you don't have to worry about not enough water anymore:)

Bare Bear
05-28-2009, 16:02
I recall 27 days of rain in 30 in July 06......but it was better than the heat of NJ NY and the resulting mosquitos! It was up to 105F for weeks.....we missed the rain then so YES be careful what you wish for. I wish I was out this year too.